Technical Problem on 30 mile bike ride

R

rcjunkie

Folks,
I shared an unusual mechanical failure that almost stranded me on a ride. About 15 miles onto my ride, my engine began running very lean. I had to put about 3/4 choke just for it to pull me at a very slow 5-6 mph speed. Everytime I gave it gas, it bogged down and would die. Starting the engine back up was almost impossible and took lots of pedalling!

I am glad I brought my tools pn my ride and guess what I discovered when I disassembled my carburetor? The main jet had unscrewed itself!

So, please do yourself a favor. Pull your carb and loctite that sucker! I hated smelling like gas for the rest of my ride but at least I didn't have to pedal back home!

when I got my last kit the carb was like that from factory :eek:
took a few days and lots of questions here before I opened carb (who expects a NEW carb to be f-ed up)? :censored: :LOL: :LOL:

That's good to know.

I'll be opening up my carb today to drill the jet a little larger, so I'll address that.

I don't know how loctite holds up submerged in gas, but I do know how to use a small punch to peen the metal over so it won't unscrew.

Folks,
I shared an unusual mechanical failure that almost stranded me on a ride. About 15 miles onto my ride, my engine began running very lean. I had to put about 3/4 choke just for it to pull me at a very slow 5-6 mph speed. Everytime I gave it gas, it bogged down and would die. Starting the engine back up was almost impossible and took lots of pedalling!

I am glad I brought my tools pn my ride and guess what I discovered when I disassembled my carburetor? The main jet had unscrewed itself!

So, please do yourself a favor. Pull your carb and loctite that sucker! I hated smelling like gas for the rest of my ride but at least I didn't have to pedal back home!

simpal answer loctite EVERYTHING.i,v had exhast bolts,intake bolts,engine mounts,9 bolt sprocket bolts,spoke nippels,and even the 2 tiny bolts that hold the fule switch from leaking come loose.you can also use lock nuts{what i use}.

Back