Tecumseh 2 cycle

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by james65, Jan 16, 2015.

1. james65

james65 Member

3-1/2 HP snow blower engine. Bike uses a centrifgual clutch and a manual variable belt setup.
    Daiesy 172.jpg Daiesy 178.jpg

2. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

That is so cool!
  3. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

How did you work out the throttle? I had one of those engines, and it had only a governor with a fixed speed. Good engines, though.
  4. james65

james65 Member

The carb on that engine is pretty standard(both bowl & diaphram type). I have used both types on other engines. Just disconnected the vane & spring and connected the linkage as with any other carb.
  5. professor

professor Active Member

Very nice James, we have quite a few of the old Toro 2 stroke snowblowers around here still and the motors are excellent.
  6. james65

james65 Member

Well if they (Toro snowblowers) can survive in Buffalo NY then pushing a bike around should seem like a vacation!
  7. professor

professor Active Member

Yeah James, actually, these machines get very little use during a winter here. Maybe less than a dozen per year. And the little Toros are still listed in Craiglist often.
    They are loud, do not clog (like a 2 stage) don't throw very far and are good for only 6 to 8 inches of snow before feeling like you are pushing a dead mule. But are great tools.

At work, I snagged the old one from maintenance when they got a new one, and I use the old guy (toro s-200) to keep the R/D lab entrances and areas clear.
    This is a 30 year old blower!

The key with these, is to drain and run dry the fuel system when spring comes or use fuel preservative.

Back when scrap was low I used to pick up curb sale blowers- they usually had plugged up carbs and very low usage.
  8. james65

james65 Member

6 to 8" I guess that's what they cal a dusting in Buffalo.
    Yes they seem to be still found cheap, not working and as you said usually just a dirty carb.
    I have a half dozen laying around. I started to convert two of them into a twin but other projects have in the way.
    I turned the shaft down & milled the keyway while it was still in the engine.(kept the cyl lubed while turning the shaft.

PS: formerly a resident of Oswego NY
  9. Fly1

Fly1 Member

I like that. Wish I could find one as yours.
  10. keatonx

keatonx Member

Nice! I built a bike with a 4/5hp 2 stroke Tecumseh engine, it was from a lawnmower but the same block is also used in snowblowers. image.jpg image.jpg
    The second pic is how it would look in a blower, maybe you've seen them before.

Pretty beastly engine (140cc), it really hauls on my bike, but the instant it develops even the slightest of air leaks there is a giant crankcase explosion/intake backfire (causing the carb and Bakelite intake elbow to go flying off the engine). The intake is all o-rings too, so I have to glue everything shut with gasket maker to prevent leaks.

How did you turn down the crank while still in the engine? Did you put the crank in a lathe and let it spin inside the engine (engine just riding on the shaft)? When I had to turn down my shaft to get a pulley on I ran a coarse file up against the shaft while the engine idled. Which turned out to be a horrible idea because the shaft wore down faster where the keyway was (less material to take away).
  11. james65

james65 Member

The engine that you used is is the one I would have prefered, however the toro is cheap and I had several laying around. Funny thing is I picked up the engines cheap just to get the diaphram carbs.
    Yes I just put the whole engine (less the shroud) in the lathe. That made it quick & simple. Then clamped the output shaft in the chuck and milled the keyway. Never had to disassemble the engine.
    I like the 2 cycle engines for thier weight & rpms, of course I have to live with the loud exhaust. The input manifold on this engine is all metal.

12. james65

james65 Member

i shortened the length of the frame by 4 inches.

Attached Files:

13. james65

james65 Member

Further progress on this build.

Attached Files:

14. james65

james65 Member

Finaly recieved the decals for this build.

Attached Files:

15. Hey man i got this same engine bout to mount it on a schwinn beach crusier 1458953526813.jpg
    the gearing i was thinkin a 11tooth centrifugal clutch to a 36tooth jackshaft sprocket then a 10tooth to a 44tooth asuming the engines rpm is 7k i should get 37 mph
    but im here to ask james68's opinion and how he did his and how fast? or anyone else with experience with these 2 stroke tecumseh
  16. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

What type of exhaust are you planning using? ,do you think a voodoo or expansion chamber would help its power increase?
  17. Im going to use a pipe i found on a old 2 stroke 80cc Suzuki dirtbike as far as increase in power ya probly.
    The exhaust that was on it was a big old cylinder with holes drilled on one side i also need the pullstart/flywheel cover because without it the flywheels fins dont push air around the motor to cool it
  18. Id like to know how you went about gearing and what speed/performance do you get

19. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I'm having trouble finding a carburetor for mine , have you figured out what you're going to use?
    I have the stock carburetor but I'd like to find something adjustable
  20. Im using a nt carb for the ht engines custom made a intake with a old mullfer