Tell me why I shouldn't buy Staton friction drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TWalker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Before I order I want any bad points brought out. Obviously friction drive is less desirable but it fits my budget and needs for now. This kit may be switched onto 2-3 different bikes as a demo for others and a friction drive is easily switched. Never owned friction drive but I already know it beats the heck out of HT chain alignment problems,adjustments, noise, drag and dirty frame...how could it not be better?

The only drawback seems to slippage and tire wear...but how big an issue before I drop the 500? How many approximate miles before tire replacment?

The more I look at Staton friction I wonder why I was so against it:

Pros:

• Non-inavasive to wheel eliminating pressure on spokes & lateral stress
    • Eliminates chains & sprockets and the dirty oily frame

• Its simple- less moving parts
    • Installs/uninstalls much quicker

Cons:
    • It slips in wet weather.... period (or are there any workarounds)
    • It wears out your tire more quickly

This is the one:

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3193

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

ck search--staton--much input available

3. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I would agree that friction drive is better than a happytime. It freewheels and has a quality engine. Gearing changes should be easier than most systems as well. The only reason I wouldn't personally get a friction drive for my own use is because the hills are killers around here and it rains pretty often. I've heard people had good success with their friction kits even ridden hard. I'd say go for it but remember, if you hold out for just a while longer you may be able to afford a better chain driven system and you won't have to double purchase to upgrade later.

The TLE43 is an excellent engine BTW.

4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I see that you live in N.M. If you are not in a hilly area, the Staton kit will serve you well, just operate it as directed & you will see little slippage, tire wear, etc.

5. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Ruidoso not hilly. OMG ROFL LOL EOM

Sierra Blanca - IE WHITE MOUNTAIN.

6. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea those are hills, in Co we has MOUNTAINS!

7. TWalker

TWalker Guest

I live at the foot of a 12,000 foot peak in the southern point of the Rocky mountains. I can get the chain drive 33 Robin but I'm not sure it has enough torque to get up the hills. I would like to give the friction drive a try.

We've been using happytimes and they work ok for all but the steepest grades.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay for a bigger engine and direct drive.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  8. TWalker

TWalker Guest

Anybody want to buy a Yamaha VMax? I need to sell it to build more bikes!

:roll:

9. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Friction drives are not the way to go in that situation ...

The thing would be slipping more that it'd be driving and would have your tire to bits

GEBE belt with the hill climb gears would do it on the 32cc & 40cc tanaka engines.

Staton chain drive would also do the trick - but best with a two stroke again

4 strokes just would wheeze out unless you spent alot of money on the nuvinci transmission and even then...

Jemma xx

10. If I only ride for pleasure and only when it's beautiful out and not too many hills then I would go for a friction drive in a second. I mean how much are tires anyway?
    But I log on some SERIOUS miles on my bikes,rain or shine or snow or even hail.
    Now a friction drive for a second or third bike may be fun.

11. astring

astring Member

I just got the honda 35cc 4 stroke friction drive and it is great (no hills or rain in AZ).

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I have a staton friction drive, powered by a 23cc mitsu.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4490

your pros list is "dead on"

I like friction drives....but I'm in flat kansas.
    tire wear doesn't seem to be an issue, if installed & operated correctly.
    the friction roller, however, shows some wear.
    100_1840.JPG
    Ask AlaskaVan...he ran many, many miles with his 43cc staton friction.

IMO...the only con is wet weather.
    DE has a wet weather roller.

the con list is looking better. :D

13. TWalker

TWalker Guest

What is DE? I keep seein it but can't figure out what it is.

14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

15. loquin

loquin Active Member

If it's not raining, the staton friction roller won't slip, no matter how steep the road. Just be aware of tire pressure, and make sure that the friction roller is pressing 'into' the tire a quarter inch or so, depending on the tire pressure.

If you'll be in the hills a lot, you'll probably want a 1 inch roller, or even a 7/8 inch roller, though.

16. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

And if you buy a GEBE with the #11 gear you will have similar performance with no possibility of slipping - rain or otherwise.

So far as straining the wheel GEBE can supply a prebuilt wheel and to be honest I have done over 500 miles on some rough roads and not a problem.

Personally given the choices available friction/roller drive comes a very poor 6th or so. I cant see any compelling reasons for using it when there are other options.

Jemma xx

17. TWalker

TWalker Guest

I hear ya but buying prebuilt wheels, fabricating brackets and stuff either drive the price way up or cost time. I have already decided to go with Staton.

18. motman812

motman812 Member

love my Staton

I've have a Honda 35cc Staton friction drive that I've had since December and put over 750 trouble free miles on it. If you put the drive against the tire properly and are conscious of the possibility of slippage and subsequent wear on the tire it won't be a problem. Water is definitely a no no. With the Honda, even at WOT it doesn't use or throw oil.
    For my needs, riding on paved roads in so. Cal, the net advantages of the friction drive far out weigh the net advantages of a chain drive.

19. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Hi - TWalker --- You mention possibly switching the engine from two to three different bikes -- that seems to remove most options -- sounds like it should be -- a friction drive unit used... Unless - you just love to work on these things ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

20. TWalker

TWalker Guest

I already bought a Staton friction for the first kit. I will probably order more units but for this test bike that one will do for that reason it needs to be a demo, swithched between bikes, loaned out etc.