Tension warning

I checked NAPA's system. Couldn't find the Gates belt, and there were no matches in cross reference. It is what it is. You guys wear belts, I wear tires.

Now, as a consumer having just bought replacment belts, I feel challenged to make each one last at least several thousand miles!

Moving washers from one side to the other has NOT stopped the clicking sound on belt/spoke ring contact, but is has reduced to a barely noticable level. More of an assurance that the tension is good, I went to the Whiteheads to compare my new frame-mounted tensions to the two bikes in their barn, which are axle-mounted, and its VERY close to identical.

When you have the install done, belt on, spin the rear tire around, checking clearance to the frame, that the belt is not rubbing TOO much (or not at all) on the drive ring walls, is a centered/cradled as good as you can, you take your first test ride !!

Just a half a mile say (usually I have to come back anyway and re-adjust the seat), but LOOK AT THE BELT, see if one single thread has frayed.

NONE? Good.

ONE? Okay, whichever side the fray appears is the side that needs one washer to shove the wheel the other way. Take a lighter and burn off that frayed thread, so you can retest on a longer ride.

First LONG 5 mile test, look at the belt again. Absence of frays is perfection of the install.

IF the belt breaks within an hour of letting a friend ride your bike, that is the most likely culprit.

Strangers won't understand the techniques you've established climbing hills, but the engine really gets used to one persons throttling habits, and not helping on steep grades is usually the second worst thing for a belt slipping, next to having a spokering way out of balance/too much tension arm jumping.

I follow you Bama, precisely how I got the belt tracked and centered. I can't assist at anything over 10mph as I have a single speed and my premature wear is definitely attributed to that fact. Have been thinking of upgrading to at least a 7speed cassette. When I mounted this setup on my Schwinn Pacifica, I was able to pedal assist at high speed but the 18" frame was just too small to be comfortable; I need a 23-24" to have enough room. We'll see...

Hi there!
I am Vaughn with Golden Eagle. I lurk this forum(s) on a daily basis and we actually do listen to what the people have to say. It not only helps us to know what everyone wants from our kits but it helps to know what people really want out of our company as a whole.

First off I'd like to say a few things about the belts we use. Currently they are exclusively made for us. That keeps the cost kind of high because of that fact - only 1 source. We are a small family owned and operated company and though our business doubles every year we still are not to the point of being able to order "mass volume" on our parts. Unfortunately, this means we have to trickle our overhead down to our customers.

That being said we are able to keep the quality on ALL our parts up very high. The belts for instance are about as high tech as you can get and still be made of rubber - and - the thought of going chain has crossed our mind more then a few times. We know though, and testing has shown that the Kevlar reinforced belts (with proper installation as Bama pointed out - nice job) will last you a very long time.

Modifications like this will generally not turn out well unless you take the time to make sure the main drive point is aligned as close as you can get it (the belt).

Sometimes modification is inevitable, but it's important to make sure you take the time to cross of the "T's'" and dot the "I's" When you're working with something as small and precise as these small engine kits; the smallest detail will be the biggest problem.

Also a tip about getting the belt aligned easily:

When you have everything ready to go after the installation make sure the clutch is engaged and while the engine is off - just roll the bike forward about 5ft while looking at the belt. If the belt is tracking and rubbing on the side of the top gear you need to loosen one side of the axle so that the lower mount arm can be adjusted up or down on one side. The reason is to get the upper mounting bracket to adjust its center over the wheel. (so the belt tracks in the center of the top gear)
Also you will want to make sure your wheel is adjusted good in the axle drop-outs so the wheel doesn't track funny. This might sound complicated but its just a matter of getting the belt to track as close to the center of the gear as possible.

Once you get the hang of alignment, your belt woes will be over. It's not unheard of to get 2000+ miles per belt but we do hear and read some complaints. I wont say all are due to improper alignment but I'd guess more then a few are.

Cheers!
Remember, we ARE Listening!

The Gates belt issue was figured out some time ago--if you just look up the first part of the GEBE belt number, you get a standard Gates belt the same dimensions but with nylon cord, not kevlar.

I may try using a nylon belt at some point, just to see how long it will last. Generally I like the toothed-belt drive idea but if you're making a frame yourself, the belt length limits where the engine can be mounted.
~

Vaughn, thank you for your response, it's good to know you're here with us. Welcome and congratulations btw. You'll notice an earlier post in this thread stated I got around 2000 miles on my first belt which I find to be acceptable... 25+4 isn't a bad deal with that kind of mileage, also am happy w/ my 40 tanaka. Doug, gebe used the nylon initially and designed/upgraded to kevlar for longer life along w/numerous other upgrades to the drive systems. Personally, I don't see that this belt could be produced for much less expense than it already is given the cost of manufacturing etc. If, after getting under 1000 miles and everything was perfectly alligned, I would consider an alternative drive system but having learned how to drive my bike, I expect to get longer life out of my new belt. At present, the thing is burning up the road, sweet...

... Doug, gebe used the nylon initially and designed/upgraded to kevlar for longer life along w/numerous other upgrades to the drive systems. Personally, I don't see that this belt could be produced for much less expense than it already is given the cost of manufacturing etc...
My point is not that GEBE is overcharging for the belt--my point is that the kevlar variety only seems to be available in one length, limiting you to mounting the engine right next to the rear wheel.
~

I get you Doug, longer belts w/kevlar would be nice as I've considered mounting within the frame as well. Hope you didn't perceive my post as contentious, not the intent at all buddy. I can't believe how well my bike is running presently;:eek: perfect allignment of drive train, perfect amount of tension on belt, 14t drive gear on the 40cc Tanaka combined w/ the 12g spokes, unbelievably smooth, fast, reliable transportation. My cruise speed is 29-30mph@3/4 throttle. wot yields between 31-37mph dependent on grade and wind. Hopefully it's dialed in and will stay that way. Btw, I generally cruise at 25mph; it's nice to know I have another ten mph to mess with.:)

Belt Slipage

Well Jim, after apparently, (still remains to be seen), solving my spoke breakage problem, (after spending $100 for a good rear rim and hub/cassete, and $190 for a custom 10 guage spoke lacing), I'm just starting to have the same belt slippage problem with 550 miles on the kit, riding around Indianapolis, (fairly flat terrain). I'm in the same boat...I think that the majority of the wear and tear on the belt was due to my weight, (over 350 lbs), and my unfamiliarity with the use of the kit. I'm a much better GEBE rider at this point, and expect twice the life on that belt next time around. Oh..he he...I've looked high and low for another source for that belt, and came up with nothing as well. I was hoping the kit would start to pay for itself with gasoline savings, but to be honest with ya, (and I hope that's what we are supposed to do out here), due to all the other expenses that I'm incurring with kit issues, I'm not so much as breaking even. Now another belt...WHEW! It seems that everybody loves the GEBE until they've had it for a while, until the spoke breaking, and belt slippage/breakage starts. I hope there aren't any other issues. This is really getting expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back