Chain Tensioner Tensioners importance?

nashy10

Local time
7:30 PM
Just installing my kit, and i was wondering if the chain tensioner is really all that important? I hope not because ive already cut the chain to the length without a tension...

Other guys have done the same. That tensioner is one of the bugaboos in the kit, if it is not on- it can't rotate into the spokes.

Congratulations on 'Chain Matching'!

It is rare the pedal chain and drive chain will cooperate unless it is a derailleur pedal drive but even then they usually have vertical drop-out's so you won't be able to take the inevitable initial chain and sprocket wear out by moving the wheel back which is where a properly placed chain tensioner comes in handy.

Do you NEED a chain tensioner? Hell no.
This build had just enough slack in the pedal chain so that when the chain/sprocket wear was done both chains ended up tight.

Mac2.gif

Does it come in handy? Yes, for ease of customer self service anyway.

Ideally you mount the tensioner forward enough so at the adjustment it is all the way down to leave room to move it up, and align it on the fat part of chainstay for a better grip and liner line with the chain right where the rim is on the bike so if it does come loose it hits the rim and doesn't go into the spokes like this.

Mac3.gif

Just my examples but you get the idea, hope it helps ;-}

Back