"Thanks" feature

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Dankoozy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

2. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

It is possible however the names seem to get in the way a fair bit and you're forever scrolling to see the posts.

If you haven't seen it there is a facebook like button above each post, once clicked you can choose if you want to share it on you facebook timeline or just hit close and it will simply count the number of likes.

There is also a thread rating tool where you can give each thread a 1 to 5 star rating.

If you really want to say thanks you can hit the "Add to this users reputation" and send them a personal comment. I think you need 30 posts on this forum before the icon will appear below each post.

3. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

That post is the exception though, being the most thanked post on the site.. Most posts on that site don't even get 1. I don't use FB so no good to me there but the reputation seems like a good system

4. Anton

I think you can still click the FB like button above and it will count the likes and display them at the top of the thread. You don't need a FB account. Try it out! See if you can like your own thread. I hit the like button on this thread so it should say 1 like.

5. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

No such luck

6. Anton

Added a thanks feature. I found one that auto collapses after 10 thanks so it doesn't start taking up the entire thread. Enjoy!

7. roughrider

roughrider Member

Hmmm... I think this is a great feature, but I noticed "rep power" and the link to add to a users rep has disappeared. That was intentional?

8. Anton

I removed rep power for now. I think the thanks feature is much faster and easier to use so more people will use it.

BigBlue likes this.
  9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Except for those who have been here awhile :devil2:

Kidding aside, seeing the thanks thing has been implemented elsewhere on another MB site would be enough for me not to want to copy it here. I prefer this forum, it's good to be different. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for chat button or feature,........i'm old school takes me awhile to catch on.

11. roughrider

roughrider Member

I agree that the thanks feature is cool. I like it. I'll use it. I expect others will too. But there are some here who have earned a LOT of rep. Just zeroing them out and making them equal with everyone else seems kinda, er, well, strong? Like too strong? Even arbitrarily strong? Maybe even unfair?

I mean, we have posts going back to 2008, and some of those guys, like Bamabikeguy, (whose stories drew me to this forum) have even passed on. It would be a shame to deny a well earned legacy.

Just one guy's opinion, brother. Others may differ. As always, I accept to the will of the majority.

12. Anton

The rep numbers are still there it's just that they are hidden for now. I actually only enabled the feature a few months ago. It was never on the site before that as far as I know. Most people only have extra rep points from being members for such a long time. I will see if I can find a way to show the visual rep bar on the left of peoples profiles. The other stats that rep displays were taking up too much room combined with the thanks feature.

13. Anton

Actually I just had a look and since I enabled rep last year, it has been used a lot by members. So I will re-enable it again.

roughrider likes this.
  14. roughrider

roughrider Member

Great. This is a good chance for me to use the "thanks" feature.

15. Anton

Ha ha no problems! Thanks for the thanks :cool: