Thanks!!! (help finding old motoredbike?)

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Rhett, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Rhett

Rhett Member

Thank you very much to those that have welcomed me to 'The gang" here at!! Its great to know when you start something new that you can rely on others with great experience to help you along!! I of course do not want to clog up the forum with stupid questions, and I hope that this is the proper place to ask a couple of (newbee) questions.
    I would really like to find a company that deals with older but new or rebuilt antiuqe gas bicycles. I remember when I was a kid and starting to fly remote control planes back in the early 60s a Neighbor of ours that was building planes in his garage had a really nice Gas powered bicycle that his son used to deliver papers in the Miami area. As I remember, it was sort of a gold or yellow colored machine, with the motor in the middle of the frame, and I think it had a suspention on the front wheel and it was rather large, the size of a full size bike at least---And I remember that sound---when he would start it up----Put--Put--Put-Put and then he would take off!! and it seemed (at the time) to be fairly quick!!----Thats where I would like to go with this!! I also remember more recently, when I owned an arial photography business near Daytona Beach, that the guy that owned the hanger just down from mine, had a similar gas powered bicycle that he would ride around on from time to time that looked almost the same. he said when I first met him that it was nearly 50 years old!! Any one have any Ideas on that or where I may be able to find one or a replica?? I will not say that money is no object, but if I am going to get into this (which I am) I would really like to have something that is unique and from a period of time that reflects the ' Golden Age' do you think that something like that could be had in top form for 1-3 thousand$ or so?? Thanks so very much!!!---Rhett

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

it sounds like you may have found yourself interested in a couple old whizzers...the topic doesn't really fit in here (ask/get link) but we appreciate that you're concerned with forum-ops :)

we'll get you into the "heritage" area (i tweaked the title) and take it from there.
  3. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Try looking in the section with pictures on this site. I've come across so many links here as well that have great old school pics but to try and hunt them down would be too much right now. Google image search is great, that is how I found this for you and to be honest, it was the first one I came across. There were thousands more!!!
    Try this and look around, I like your taste.The pic is a members bike that I like

Sorry I see it did not work, it should not have those dots after the word page and I've tried to "edit" it but you can click on the link shown on the "Sorry can not be found page, I just tried it...In found this cool thing there as well with the "side drive"??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

the first bike is made by mike simpson (motorbikemike), a member
    he's making an excellent repoduction for sale
  6. Rhett

Rhett Member

Thanks for respnding to my Questions, sorry that it was out of the forum a bit I will try to do better as time goes on and I have already looked at one of the suggested areas and found a (on page 18) a 1961 Norton Jubille-250 cc that is tempting, if only to save it and use as a conversation piece in the den, I did that very same thing with an ALL-STATE scooter that my dad had many many years ago that he used when he and my Mom first married and he was in the Marines in Virginia, it sat unused in the garage in Boca Raton until I asked if I could have it in the late 80s, I completely restored it in baby blue and tan and placed it in my den at the time, I stilll have it at my sisters in Miami, her husband rides it on occasion around thier underground parking lot. But that is all a bit out of the realm of what I seek, I really want to explore what I first mentioned ---a classic golden period, gas Bicycle!! Hey dont get me wrong, I went into SPOOKY-TOOTH and saw some wonderful things, I especially liked the 'Quarve" and would be greatly interested in something like that to ride on a day-to-day basis, but I also liked thier 'Industrial" model, do you think it would be possible to combine several of the best features from several of thier models into one??---I know,, call and ask them, but I would first like some in-put from you guys out in the 'trenches' that may have some 'hands on' in this sort of area. Thanks again for putting up with such nieve questions, thank you all so very much!! Best regards,, Rhett
  7. motoredhobart

motoredhobart New Member

8. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Thanks for that augidog, I've never figured out how to do that stuff at times, same with linking pages here. I have no clue.
    That is one nice bike Rhett but it's a motorcycle, that's for sure. Man that thing is like brand new and would look great in your living room. That's what I love about this site, it has opened up a whole new world for me. I always figured that this motorized bike stuff was invented in the 1970s with mopeds. I can still remember my first time on this site and finding the pics of members bikes.
  9. Rhett

Rhett Member

You are right Cooltoy

I feel pretty much the same. My wife came home from the base yesterday only to find me glued to the computer and this web site and I called her upstairs and showed her a picture of a 'Whizzer" and said 'sweet heart, look what I am getting into'!! notice that I used 'sweet heart' first!! for years she has happily put up with remote control planes all over the place, pieces of balsa wood, using her dinner plates to solder stuff on, there are 2 planes sitting on the dinning room table right now!! (I live within walking distance from our club field) and then there was the time in Orlando when she came home one day and her brand new Chrysler Sebring was sitting in the driveway and in the garage was an airplane!! A real one!! Any way, selling her on these gas powered bikes should be easy after all of that.
  10. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

So you found the Wizzer did you. I'm laughing to myself because that was the bike that got me when I first got here. It's like everything you could ask for in this "sport" of ours.
    It sounds like you could afford a Wizzer or you could just spend $400 and get a happy- time and have fun. They really are great you know and there is no reason that you can't get a couple of years out of them.
    The only reason I will not get a Wizzer is because the police have yet to bug me with my bike. A Wizzer looks too much like an old motorcycle.
    Anyhow, glad you found this place. Enjoy!
  11. Blotto

Blotto New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008
  12. azbill

azbill Active Member

could you make your next post an 'intro' ?
    that way, we can all say 'HI !'
  13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

neat setup, Blotto...but if all you did was join to promote it, that won't float...please post an introduction, it's polite & it's policy:

we'll delete the "reminders" when/if we all wind up on the same page :)

(ps-sellers are beholden to tougher rules, too, this is a consumer's be clear, we'll delete the links if we don't hear from you soon...fair is fair)
  14. Blotto

Blotto New Member

I don't really need to promote it on here. It's well subscribed anyway. I spend a ridiculous amount of time creating enthusiast websites and uploading info that's impossible to find onto them so enthusiasts worldwide have free public archives of obscure vintage machinery. I'm a long-time collector and only a seller because i've got too many vehicles, not enough cash, and enjoy creating new websites.

I was just following back a link I noticed on the buyvintage site that came from you guys, and though it would be nice to say hello.

Perhaps you could copy this for me, Augi, onto the correct part of the forum:

Hi Guys,

I'm Colin - Blotto on your forum - I'm in Brighton, UK, and am into obscure vintage vehicles, and have websites that are free online magazines and museum to help introduce new enthusiasts to the hobby.

I give talks on the subject, and take vehicles to shows and charity events.

Augi - hope this is ok. If not, and you want to take a hard line on people you deem 'sellers' (you've obviously not browsed my other websites which, unlike your forum, have no advertising anywhere on them) please delete my posts and links.
  15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest you, i feel as if we may not have been given the scrutiny we deserve...our members (as consumers) are always welcome to spread the word about (most) other sites and sellers...but, our history is rife with "sellers" who only see our site as another place to bump business and, we try to dilineate between consumer input and self-promotion. until we have a chance to converse, there's no other way for us to know you...which-btw-is why we've insisted on everyone checking in in "introduce yourself"...everything is upfront and aboveboard that way.

now, also candidly...i did look at your realm're our kinda peeps, but self-linking raises flags that must be immediately addressed...if you're cool with that, i'm cool, too :cool:

ps-our "sponsorship" relationships are only that...we get a very modest flat-fee for those little banners, 100% of which goes into hosting, MBc-stickers, & free global postage for said stickers. i have received gifts of appreciation from some members, i have received sample products for review (80% of those go to other people to enjoy) you, i do this for the thrill of the motorsport ;)
  16. Rhett

Rhett Member

Man, you guys are BRUTAL to each other, especially getting out of the threads and off topic, but I understand that you have to keep things real and in focus. What I like the most here is that you all have a lot in common and that is your love for all of this. Being new to this myself, it gives me great pleasure to sort of find people my own age that are having so much fun with it all. I am very glad to have found this. I hope that when the wife and I get back to the states, that I will be able to share some stuff with you all, I am kind of looking into a restoration of an older 'period' machine, but have also not invalidated looking into a new gas Bike, while restoring an older one.I kind of like a combination of Spooky-Tooths--'Quarve' and thier 'industrial' model--spoke to them last night,will see what can be done.--best regards,, Rhett
  17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

the web has gotten brutal, my friend. as we post, there are those (not associated with Blotto, i'm just fyi'ing you) who would "steal" this entire MB-movement out from under us in the name of a buck, it's been a constant invasion for months now, sometimes coming at us from within our own walls. we ain't gonna let that happen. i do apologise about this, but i didn't choose the where, i merely reacted...we'll work it out and then i'll get yer topic all cleaned up...staff has responsibilities we're not always comfortable dealing with, but we do it anyway & expiditiously so to get on with the good stuff.

it is the love of the bicycle-1st that brings us all together..."buncha grown men playing with bikes", how cool...i'm glad you're enjoying yourself here & i look forward to your input as you acclimate :cool:
  18. Rhett

Rhett Member

Hi Guys

I am not at all complaining about the structure or methods by which many use this website, I am a big boy and capable of reading between the lines. Since I am new to this gas bicycle experience, I must say that the over whelming majority of you all have very kind and supportive with your comments and suggestions to me. If you really want to see brutality on a web site go to have another but much older intrest in RC planes and choppers--well over 40 years now since I was 12 and those guys on THAT website do not cut ANY ONE any slack at all!! They even 'BAN' people from posting if they get off topic--very strict indeed. So actually this web site for gas bicycles is tame in comparison. When I get my head wrapped around a new intrest or project there is no stopping me, I tend to have a 'must have it now' attitude, last year( no brag, just fact) I spent over 20,000 dollars on RC stuff, planes, motors, radio units helicopters---I know,, I have an illness---I must go to RC--REHAB--but I am prepared to enter this new hobby of gas bikes with equal enthusiasm and I thank my lucky stars that I have you guys to steer me in the right direction, I also thank my lucky stars for a great wife that allows me to self-destruct with my addictions ( excuse me for a moment while I go down to the kitchen and take a look at the turkey pan in the sink holding a disasembled airplane motor in turpentine) any way, great wives are hard to come by!! The only thing stopping me at the moment from jumping in 'gas bicycles' at this moment is our very near and up coming move back to the states from here in Germany--I have got to stay focused on that for the moment Thank you all for for this great web-site----Rhett