ThatsDax motor chain gets jammed

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Keepthedrivetommy, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I am finally at the chain installation part of installing my THATSDAX Howell motor, but once I put the chain on the motor sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket and move the bike forward, the motor sprocket begins to spin and the chain starts to move, and after a couple of spins in the motor sprocket, the chain gets jammed in the motor sprocket box. It looks as though the chain does not want to sit properly on the chain as its spinning. Does anyone have any solutions, maybe some more lubricant on the motor sprocket, or perhaps I should file the teeth of the motor sprocket a little so the chain slips on more fluidly?
    here is a picture.
    Tommy[​IMG]

2. OldPete

OldPete Guest

No extra lube will help.
    DO NOT file or grind the sprocket except to remove a burr.

I think the chain pitch is wrong for that sproket!

Do nothing until more hands on experience arrives. You are prolly in a hurry for the first ride. Relax now and the pay-off will be to your benifit. :smile:

3. ?

What is the chain pitch? The motor and all came together, so they should work together. Do you think that if I went out to buy a single speed bike chain, because I think this is a motorcycle chain, that it would be better?

4. OldPete

OldPete Guest

I have never build a Chinese kit.
    Dax should be on later today and will not miss his name in the title of this post.

As I recall, that chain should be a 41 or 410. Generally the number is stamped on the link plates face. Is it on the other side of the chain? If so, what is the number?

Mistakes do happen and you may have caught one. :cool:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

These are 415 chains. Is the chain tight? (tension)
    Binding at the links?

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

it sounds like you have one of the narrower drive sprockets
    if so, you can run a heavy duty bmx chain (made for stunting so it's high torque)
    Z510H BMX Chain by KMC $6.95 @ bikenashbar.com (including master link)
    I needed 2 because my bike is so long
    I run it on my deviate and it hasn't stretched at all since day one (I have approx 600 miles on it) and it is a very heavy bike

7. anoter picture

Here is another picture of the bike just sitting. I didnt want to make the chain too tight. And yes, I do believe that the chain is a 415. That is wat DAX has on his web site, though he also has a 081, which I thought I was getting because he told me that all upgraded parts were now included in the kit, but the picture of the 415 looks just like the one I have. And what is binding?[​IMG]

8. Azkronic, How would I know if the Z510H chain would fit?

9. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

you've got to drop some links out of that chain dude try 2 to strat with

10. I took out one link (The Inner part, but then you have to take out an outer part also because the master link only works with the inner part of the link, so I guess you would call that 2 links) and now the chain is too short. I'm lost, and just want this to work. I dont understand how there can be so many problems. Someone HELP

11. azbill

azbill Active Member

yeah !!!
    it looks like it is way too loose dude :shock:
    should be 1/2-3/4 inch deflection up n down of the chain
    too loose and jumped sprocket
    other than that, you look good to go :D

12. I took one link off and now it is too short!!! what do I do now. he masterlink doesnt reach the other end. And what is deflection?

13. OldPete

OldPete Guest

OK so it is the right chain and now it is just a bit short.
    This has happened to me before on motorcycles.
    Add a half link. Use real care not to let the tiny clip fly away during install.
    Some use a tiny cottor pin iirc.

[​IMG]

14. OldPete

OldPete Guest

You had better settle down or few will talk to you. OK! :cool: :smile:

15. Where do I get a half link, and wont that be a weak spot in the chain if the half link isnt the same size/material?

16. Sorry if I seem a little hott headed but how would you feel if you saved all the money you could get for 6 months and bought something that seems to have problem after problem, and the very guy who sold you the item is telling you to go get help somewhere else? :?

17. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

Yes,,, slow down and listen. That chain is waaaay to loose! You need to apply tension to the chain and roll the bike back and forth to get the tension to the top also. I think after the top is tensioned up some you will see that you can probably take about 7 links out of that chain! SLOW DOWN, TAKE A DEEP BREATH,,,, and all will be good. Report back after you tension the chain up.

Papa

18. azbill

azbill Active Member

take your tensioner off first
    see if that gives enough to link back up
    you only need it if you are too loose
    the first pic shows tensioner all the way up and a lot of extra chain
    taking one whole link (from outer plate to outer plate) could not have been too much

ps...there are under 16's here so be cool with the language 8)

19. Ok, sorry I'm calm. Heres what I did. I took the tensioner, which i assume you mean the ball bearing pulley with the clear wheel, I took it of completely, and then reattached the chain, rolled the bike back to get the chain as tight as possible, but the masterlink is still about one quarter of your pinky nail away from the other hole. I'll try again, but I dont see anything else that I can move or stretch. Hold on and I'll take another picture to show. Again, I'm sorry for the language

20. Guest

Guest Guest

As loose as the chain was in the second picture, you should be able to remove 3-4 links, drop the tensioner down all the way and it should still be kinda loose.

Remove only enough links to get the chain close, but not too tight. Use the tensioner to bring it up to around 3/4-1", that way if your sprocket isn't perfectly centered, the chain will run O.K.

Deep breath, count to three, exhale s-l-o-w-l-y through the nose.