'The Beast' Reborn

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by lowracer, Nov 30, 2012.

1. lowracer

lowracer Member

I recently acquired a slightly used Tanaka 47r & decided to mount it to a Dax friction drive w/1.5" roller.
    After riding it now for roughly 150 miles, I can say that the 47r is a bit more powerful everywhere compared to my other trusty steed powered by a Tanaka 40cc. Fuel economy with the 47r is alot worse but then again I'm moving faster or accelerating harder most of the time.
    I only have positive things to say about the quality of any of my Tanaka's (I have a 32cc a 40cc & 47cc).
    Here's a pic of the latest version of 'The Beast'.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

2. lowracer

lowracer Member

I'm thinking about adding a huge ATV fairing to this bike for winter riding. The ATV fairing is 35" wide to fully cover my hands & 20" tall to block the torso & head. Has anyone added something like this to a bicycle before? I'm wondering if the handlebars will fight me going 45 mph?
    -Lowracer-

atv-windshield-6.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. lowracer

lowracer Member

I did some speed testing today with 'The Beast' powered by the Tanaka 47r.
    First I hooked up my trusty tachometer with 2 zip ties to the steerer stem & wrapped the tach wire around the spark plug wire 6 times & fastened it with black electrical tape.
    I went back and forth over a 1/4 mile stretch 4 times to get a varied sample size due to wind conditions (level ground at sea level here in the lowcountry).
    At max rpm I saw 9300rpm for a bit before I had to get off the gas for my turn.
    I probably could have gotten a few more rpm's given more distance &/or by getting my body more aero...
    I'm running a Dax friction drive 1.5" roller so that equals 41.5 mph.
    I'm very happy with that.
    I have a new poo-poo pipe coming in the mail & I'll order that windshield to see how both affect max rpm & speeds as well as sound & cold weather protection.
    -lowracer-

4. lowracer

lowracer Member

I did some more research on windshields for motorcycles & ATV's.
    There is a difference in shield material.
    The pic of the one I posted is made out of Acrylic & others are made out of Polycarbonate (Lexan). Looks like acrylic breaks into many sharp pieces when struck & Polycarbonate maintains its integrity. I will avoid the acrylic even though a bicycle isnt traveling as fast as a motorcycle.
    I found another model that I like made out of Polycarbonate.
    Tell me what you think of this one?
    -lowracer-

Attached Files:

5. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I like it! I would get the dimensions and do a cutout with cardboard and see how well it fits. Make sure your not putting an elephant on a horse if you know what I mean.

6. lowracer

lowracer Member

Darwin,
    The widest these windshields get is 36" & that would go just past the width of my handlebars covering my hands.
    The middle section is narrower & would cover the rest of my torso. These are 'BIG' fairings & I think you are correct with the Elephant analogy when being fitted to a bicycle. These would be normal looking on a full-sized cruiser motorcycle...
    As they say in Texas.....Go Big...lol
    -Lowracer-

7. lowracer

lowracer Member

I relocated my rear flasher today from the seatpost to the top of the rear friction drive strut. The fuel tank blocked the view of the light to cars behind me. I also pulled the spark plug to inspect it for color. Looks like I got the mixture right fiddling with it during the week.
    Here are a few pics of how it looks now.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

8. lowracer

lowracer Member

I received & installed the fairing but on a different set of handlebars that I'll be switching onto 'The Beast'. I needed a thinner bar (25.4 vs 31.8) to better match the clamps included in the fairing kit. Its actually the handlebar that came stock on 'The Beast'. The clamps are solid & the position is somewhat adjustable. Here are a few pics on the wrong bike...
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

9. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Looks good on the bike. I thought it was going to be too big. You'll have to give us a test drive update, especially how it handles in windy conditions. If it works out great, I might purchase one for my touring bike that I am finally getting back on track.

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

10. lowracer

lowracer Member

Here are the latest pics I took this morning after installing an adjustable stem to better raise & lower the fairing & get the fit just right. I still haven't had a chance to take it out for a test ride since its been raining & nasty outside.
    I'll play with the height of the fairing some more & the angle of the fairing into the wind.
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

11. rawly old

rawly old Member

Very cool Low.
    Wish I had sumpin like that. I could tilt it back to keep the
    rain off. It would have to be a bit taller though, and it still
    wouldn't stop the neighborhood kids from calling me 'Sasquatch',
    even though there might be some slight resemblance.

12. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

Rawly, I told Low, I'l tell you, those screens have to be more vertical than you'd think, otherwise they try and steer the bike for you. Guess how I know.

13. rawly old

rawly old Member

Cuz You've taken up kite biking?

14. lowracer

lowracer Member

Yeah,
    I'm a tinkerer & will probably wear out the nuts & bolts responsible for adjusting the handlebar clamp & the 5mm adjustable stem hex bolt.
    -Low-

15. lowracer

lowracer Member

I adjusted the fairing more upright to extend its height & installed an adjustable angle steerer stem to further raise it. I got it to where I can just see over it if I sit totally upright, or get under the wind if I get slightly bent. Now I just need to kick this cold I've had for the past few days to get some real mileage on this fairing bike. Will post some results once tested.
    -added pic of more upright fairing (my dog wanted in on the pic)-
    -Lowracer-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  16. rawly old

rawly old Member

:jester:Get well soon, you look mighty sickly settin' on that bike.:ack2:

17. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Member

We have a stunted Hitler too, our 3rd. She's actually as "normal" as a dog gets, the last one was a self propelled cuddly toy, but the first. O dear. All 10lbs of him crashing doors open, dressage strutting to the middle of a room and standing there like the middle of the ring at a show. Head up, tail up, you can see me? I'm here, I'm IT. Then he swaggered off, you can carry on now.

18. lowracer

lowracer Member

Thanks Rawly.
    LOL Ludwig...
    Layla is a teacup chihuahua 2.5 lbs wet.
    Shes a nice calm friendly version (thank goodness)
    Here are a few better shots of the fairing in the more upright position that I'll be using to test this thing once I get better.
    -Low-

Attached Files:

19. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Yea low is a craftsman, beautiful bikes. Kids look just like the old dada huh?

20. lowracer

lowracer Member

Thanks Darwin.
    :)
    -Low-