'The Beast' Reborn

I took the fairing bike on a 70 mile journey today to do my job.
When I left the house & 8:30 am, it was 48 degrees F. I wore a ballcap, sunglasses polo shirt with long sleeve windbreaker shell. Also long pants with socks & sneakers. The fairing did an excellent job of keeping the air off of my torso, hands, face and head. I was comfy. I know if I had not had the fairing, I would have been freezing doing 35 mph through the wind. I got to my 1st stop & hung out there for about 45 minutes. The temps starting rising as the sun began to shine & the rest of my stops were nice & warm. The wind began to pick up strength later in the afternoon to between 25-29 mph due to a storm front pushing this way & made the latter part of my day a new challenge. The bike handled beautifully in the very windy conditions & never felt like I would be blown away. The wind definitely slowed the bike down more than usual since the fairing presents alot more frontal area than just me, but not to the point of being anemic. The 47r has plenty of oomph to push the bike through the wind, just gotta lay into the throttle a bit more. I saw similar max rpm's today as I have without the fairing so I know I'm still going fast, just more comfortably and possibly just a tad slower.
Only 2 bad things happened today:
1- I parked the bike against a shipping container & locked the front brake with a velcro strap as I usually do to prevent rolling. The wind picked up strength while I was indoors at my stop & blew my bike over. The mirror busted off & cracked (now trash). I had to continue my day without the rear view (I like to see behind me).
2- My Radbot 1000 rear flashing light ran out of battery power early in the day & quit working (I like to be seen from behind)
I made it to all my stops & got home safe & sound so overall it was a good day out...
-Lowracer-

Say Low,
If you want a truly beastly beast you might want to check out tanaka's
65cc leaf blower. I'd love to hear about someone's build with one of those.

Rawly,
I did read somewhere that a guy tried to use that engine but ran into problems.
I have read some stuff about that engine & had the same thought process as you.
'There is no replacement for displacement'
I think the engine may not have the clutch? from what I think I remember...
-Happy Holidays-
-Low-

I suspected as much my self, but no clutch is not necessarily
a bad thing. Wish I knew the bolt pattern dimensions. I bet
I could build a belt drive for one,(assuming i ever had the money
to buy one in the first place).

It's always interesting to read what Lowracer is up to.
I see the switch to friction drive - you like it better than your belt set-up? (that I thought very slick).

Merry Christmas.

Can't speak for Low, but I really like my belt setup. It's just that I
pedal a lot, and friction drive is the easiest to switch over. So, I
guess I'm fond of both systems, belt in the wet months, friction in dry.

Professor,
Thanks & Merry Xmas.
I like friction drive the most so far. Its as simple as can be & I'm all about simple.
The Vbelt drive worked well & I put lost of miles on that system, but was relegated to running a small tire (1.25" max) due to space constraints w/ my system. I like fat rubber on the road.
I like the 1.5" drive roller size when mated to a more powerful engine (Tanaka 40cc & 47r). My little 32cc Tanaka cant pull the 1.5 roller. The best tires I am using now are CST1218. The C241 was good but I'm noticing very little wear from the CST1218.
Rawly,
Hows your new Tanaka 40cc treating you?
-Low-

Low,
I've got it mounted to my friction drive and have been tweaking
& fine tuning the bike & trailer for touring, but,as yet, I've not had
it out on the road. We've been having one of the wettest years on
record here in western Washington. So much so that even my drive
belt's gone submersible. 'Supposedly', we may get two dry days this
weekend. Hopefully, I will attempt "sea trials" then.:sick:

Back