The best and cheapest enhancment out there.

tankaray

Local time
6:52 AM
I dont remember which forum I read in last night or would have contributed to that one. The forum was about putting heat resistant rubber between the fins of the motor. I cut up an old car tire today and inserted peices between the fins. The shaking when fast cruising is maybe a quarter of what it had been and the bike seemed a tiny bit quieter from not shaking from the revs. Who ever thought of this way to go! It was cheap easy and extremley afective.

I have seen (some not many) engines with a type of rubber (looking) inserts

I would be careful craming rubber or anyTHING between my fins

may just be causing that THING to actually run hotter ???

ride that MB THING

When waxing my bike a little bit back I managed to get a bit of Turtle Wax smeared on the cooling fins on my engine's head.

That green smear is still there. It makes me think that these engines have very adequate cooling (if this wax hasn't melted yet)

It makes usch a difference. I dont thnk its over heating at all it sounds healthy. It just doesnt vibrate nearly as much at high and low speeds. It changed the tone of the engine sound to a lower tone as well. Im pretty happy with the results of such a simple modifacation.

No chance of overheating a few small 'pucks' between the finns will keep them from "ringing" and not affect the cooling at all.

I cut an old smog pump drive belt into 1/2" lengths with diagonal cutters. The pieces are tapered and press in with my thumb. None have fallen out of the fins so far.

1/2" rubber spacers between the barrel fins works well to dampen that 2-stroke ringing/pinging noise & doesn't affect cooling.If your doing this also put i few between the head fins(no point going terribly slack right at the end)
O-ringing the carby is also cheap/simple/effective.

I cut some pieces of re-enforced black hose into 1/2" strips and did the same to my fins. Not a big difference but my motor is a bgf motor.

What made a huge difference in soud was tracing a piece of cardboard and putting it into the gear cover to deaden the gear whine!

The other big one was removing the end cap on the muffler and loosely stuffing arround the small tube with steel wool and turn down the idol so it barely runs at a stop.

All of these mods together = 50% quieter but 10-20% less performance. Not getting the big ticket: priceless!

Back