The Bike Paint Thread!

hey 62 schwinn buddy!

heres what i can tell you- powdercoating is truly the best, and there are a wide range of colors to choose from, you dont have to do any prep work, simply take it apart and hand it off to the guy... thats all well and good, but from your previous project it seems like you like to do things on your own.

because im stuck in the past, i really really really like patina so my 62 schwinn was coated in a lovely shade of drab from the air force base where it sat for years. im in the process of fabbing up a custom board track style frame for my whizzer

i happen to have access to a blast cabinet, it makes life a zillion times easier.

follow that guide and you'll have have something beautiful!

first picture is of the bike, the second picture is some stuff i painted!

Attachments

• DSC_0003 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0003 (Large).JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_0008 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0008 (Medium).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 303
I called some powdercoaters today, and they all refused to do such a small project. I figure rattle can is where it's at right now. I'll make a few more phone calls tomorrow before deciding.

Everyone will have a different opinion. I doubt the bike will be mint if the paint is removed, unless a Pro tries it. Otherwise it depends on this... how much cash do you have for steps 1, 2, or 3

Last edited:
Geez, that bothers me Sheik. People can be such jerks these days. Having worked at a paint shop I understand what the problem is. To paint the part only takes two minutes but to set up the gun, to find the box of powder and to clean the gun after using it is were the problem is. I guess you could say that the boss sees it as a $100 waste of time. If on the other hand, you showed up at the door and was willing to go with a colour they were using that day, I'd think you could get lucky. What a pain eh?

Well, I got the attention of a gent down in Kentucky who said he'd do it black for 30 bucks for the entire frame. I need to get it sandblasted first, though. I see the total cost coming to near 70 bucks for the entire frame, which to me is totally worth it. Expect pretty pictures soon!

see if you cant find any hot rod shops in the area, i know if someone came in to the shop where i worked, id be more than happy to let them blast in my cab

I'm thinking I might chemically strip it instead to save me some cash. I already bought the aircraft stripper. Would I scuff it when I'm done to give the powdercoating something to adhere to or just sand it smooth?

Thanks for the tip Lobster, there'a hot rod shop on my way home, I've often wondered if they do a bike.

Sheik. You are having entirely too much fun.:)

Back