The China Syndrome

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fabian, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

We need to be put on high alert because there may be a China Syndrome occuring in the lower latitudes of Australia.

I was reducing the length of what i believed to be a grade 8 M5 bolt with a cutoff wheel but this thing seemed to be made out of Kryponite. Sparks were going in all directions with the cutoff wheel having the bolt glowing bright orange.

Almost as the bolt was cut in half the 1/4 inch waste length grabbed the wheel and was sent bouncing around the garage like a missile; ricocheting of the walls and eventually coming to rest on my shoe without my knowledge.
    For the life of me, i couldn't work out where the burning smell of synthetic shoe leather was coming from, but holy heck, i soon find out as the thing not only burnt through the shoe lace but then through the leather upper of the shoe and onto my sock.

In frantic desperation i was running around the garage like no tomorrow, looking a bit like a Salsa dancer on amphetamines, trying to walk over smoldering hot beach sand.
    This may seem like an over exaggeration but it was damn close to the truth; not to mention screaming profanity in the process of trying to remove my shoe.

This is not the end of the story, because once my foot was removed, the "corium" as it shall now be called kept on burning through the sole of the shoe, and from there down into the depths of the Earth.

As we speak the shoe has been cordoned off and a containment sarcophagus built around it after consulting a nuclear expert (next door neighbour, repleat with beer in stomach and in more beer in hand) and his advise is terrifying - It's a China Syndrome and when that corium hits the water table,,,,,,,,

Ka-Boom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Pretty funny, but the end user was at fault.Shop work calls for "shop-work" sensible shoes, IE leather boots.Comfort is only comfortable, in comfortable situations.Those five star hotels have softened you, time to get hiking in the outback for a week or two.Wink.

3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I think you cut through the metal too fast creating too much heat. Let the disc/blade do its job with steady gentle pressure. Next time you'll have a nice clean cut grasshopper.

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:whistling: i don't know how to things "steady and gentle" - smoke, sparks, fire and comedic theatrics are much better suited to my personality, at least in the privacy of my own garage.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

great story, good laugh. please don't be cautious. I need an occassional comedy relief. :grin5:

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

You can guarantee that the next time i report back in this thread, i'll have lost a finger, and it will be nothing less than a three page written extravaganza :jester: