The Eagle has landed

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by spokedjoke, May 21, 2012.

1. spokedjoke

spokedjoke Member

Wow so its been a week or so since I finished my bike and I've been wanting to post a pic here, however, Ive just been so busy riding I haven't needed to ask any questions yet. I guess thats what happens when you get a GEBE kit, and have great folks here on the forum to guide you the right way.Install went VERRRRRY smooth. Bike is a Raleigh MT400 RSI. says made in Seattle. Engine is a Tanaka PF4000 I got at a local dealer. Way better deal than ANYONE online could offer me. Using Tanaka oil at 50:1 and this baby purrs. kinda in between a mini sled and a chainsaw sound. Borderline LOUD I'd say. running hwy gear topps out 33 mph after a few tanks for break-in. only getting about 90-110 mpg, Is the Tanaka 40 cc really that thirsty ? anyone have any ideas on mileage ,I weigh 160 and I run my tires at 60psi and Pedal alot!!

2. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

The stock carb on the tanaka is really rich it will suck fuel till you put on an adjustable carb and tune it a bit leaner. I would wait till the breakin is done though. 50:1 seems a little lean on oil for breakin, I run 25:1 for 2 tanks and then go to 32:1.

3. spokedjoke

spokedjoke Member

I'm running the Tanaka perfect mix oil and it calls for 50:1, also 50:1 was recommended by tanaka as I contacted them myself after talking to the local dealer. Even golden eagles site says Always use that ratio and never mix it rich, EVEN on break in. The dealer says they've had great luck running like that so ill just leave it that way till the warranty is up. They gave my 7 years on my engine!! Here are some pics

Attached Files:

4. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Looks good buddy! Why did you mount the engine rotated 90°? Keep me posted on what you get the speed up to.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  5. spokedjoke

spokedjoke Member

Thanks man, i mounted the engine like that cause before the cap was lower than the other end of the tank, made filling it VERY awkward ! Also this way is easier to pull start while pedaling. I've seen other gebe -Tanaka kits mounted like this and its a 2-stroke so i believe its ok. I'm not sure if it effects the mileage though. I"m sure my cruddy rear bearings aren't helping any!

6. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

Why not do like I did and get a teardrop tank? They come in 1,2,3& 4L so better range and you could rotate the engine back to vertical " just rotate the pull starter " and put a pipe on it :idea:

7. spokedjoke

spokedjoke Member

OHHHH YEA! im just itching to get 1000 miles on this lil guy for a pipe, or the tanaka power pack. Do you guys think with the stock carb so rich that a pipe alone would be safe? I like the teardrop tanks, but a 4L is like 75 bucks!! Ill have to wait till I get the 12g wheel from GEBE, unless my LBS has one cheaper ,doubt it though. My bearings are already getting play in my cheap-o big box singlewall rear wheel, However , I expected that alot sooner , actually! My front araya multi-wall and shimano Deore hub are doing great though.

8. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Congrats, you sound proud of your bike, GEBE makes a good kit.The only detractor with these 2 strokes is the exhaust note, they are LOUD. Be good to come up with a way to quiet them down.

10. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I don't know who said it first but " Loud pipes save lives! "

11. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Somebody on a motorcycle made in Milwaukee likely said it and even that is debatable. No substitute for vigilance or awareness that you are vulnerable and basically invisible and developing riding habits that fit that scenario. Big bore HSV high speed vehicles vs LSV low speed vehicles are apples and oranges though. I have some quality 2 stroke utility engines and and personally dislike the weed wacker scream, as do many of the neighbors I'm sure.

12. spokedjoke

spokedjoke Member

Proud I am! Been lurking around here for a year or 2 before I joined. searched, and read till my head exploded on the best kit for me. Yea those cheap HT in frame jobs look cool, however, My # 1 problem in life is getting to work RELIABLY, SO GEBE for me, plus my bike is aluminum. Unfortunately I'm poor and the Tanaka - golden eagle kit is big $$$$$$ to a guy like me. so a long and slow saving process started and now Its finally here and running. Everyone thought I was blowing smoke out my A** when I first spoke of my project, now EVERYBODY that sees it wants one. I love it. I couldn't of done it without all of you folks here on this great forum. I see an exhaust project in my near future as I live in a sleepy lil' northwoods neighborhood filled with retirees!

13. dchevygod

dchevygod Member

I am digging the last post man! I love the description of the peoples reaction, i have experienced the same, mine isnt a gebe at all except for the wheel with sheave and the belt. The rest i built from recycled goped parts for awhile and then bought new parts as needed. When i initially put it together i had built it for like $30 in hardware " though i have spent $$ on other builds and some of those parts were used " the majority of the drive components were just given too me. I have spent $100 on a new clutch and topend, as well as $230 on the GEBE HD wheel with sheave. But thats because i used some worn parts and a weak wheel. The topend lost compression... i know now that my pipe mount was stressing my head and caused the ppiston to snag the plating next to the transfer :( my 30cc head is toast and i now have a better quality 27cc head. Im not running my pipe still and I'm hitting 36.8 compared to 40.3 when I had my 30cc's and a pipe! That's not bad when you consider ill get that back when i put my good viza pipe on it for :)