The End of MBs in the US

Tyler6357

Local time
4:55 AM
New EPA rules will end 2 stroke motors and destroy existing ones with Ethanol. It seems this MB hobby will soon come to an end in the United States. The issue at hand is the EPA's desire to increase the level in ethanol in gasoline to up to 15%. [Currently, the standard ethanol level is 10%.] Moreover, as part of its new regulations, the EPA will be requiring all consumers to purchase at least four gallons of gas. Presumably, even those bikers with four or five gallon gas tanks will be required to run their tanks to empty (or nearly to empty) in order to purchase the four-gallon minimum. This means bikers would not be allowed to top off when they come upon signs that say last gas station for ____ miles-which means more cyclists will likely be stranded on the side of roads with empty tanks. Additionally, according to the American Motorcycle Association, the EPA's new edict may end up causing damage to smaller engines.

According to the American Motorcycle Association:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will require all consumers to buy at least four gallons of gasoline from certain gas pumps after the new E15 ethanol-gasoline blend is introduced into the market.

The EPA revealed the requirement to the American Motorcyclist Association in a letter dated Aug. 1, responding to AMA concerns that E15 - a gasoline formulation that contains up to 15 percent ethanol by volume - could be put in motorcycle and all-terrain vehicle gas tanks inadvertently when consumers use blender pumps. A blender pump dispenses different fuel blends through the same hose, and the vast majority of motorcycles and ATVs in use today aren't designed to operate on E15 fuel.

The AMA has repeatedly expressed concerns to government officials and federal lawmakers about possible damage to motorcycle and ATV engines caused by the inadvertent use of E15 when the new fuel becomes widely available, and has asked that motorcycles and ATVs be part of any scientific study into the effects of E15.

Ethanol is essentially grain alcohol produced from crops such as corn that is mixed with gasoline to produce an ethanol-gasoline blend motor fuel. In October 2010, the EPA approved the use of E15 in model year 2007 and newer light-duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks and medium-duty passenger vehicles). Then, in January 2011, the EPA added model year 2001-06 light-duty vehicles to the approved list.

As has become all too typical with the Obama Administration, Lisa Jackson and her abusive idiots at the EPA rammed through its new regulations outside the normal rule making process.

The EPA has no business telling Americans how much fuel they must purchase. This unprecedented attempt to remedy the consequences of EPA's E15 waivers will not prevent widespread misfueling of millions of vehicles and products already owned by Americans that are not covered by the waiver decisions and introduces an unacceptable intrusion into the daily lives of drivers.

Furthermore, EPA's first-ever fuel purchase requirement appears to have been made outside the normal rulemaking process, seems antithetical to free markets, and highlights the flaws in the Agency's hasty decision to grant partial waivers for E15 prior to comprehensive scientific assessment and evaluation.

Garden equipment like lawn mowers and leaf blowers have long been on the EPA's hit list, as have ATVs and motorcycles.

This will be the first time, however, the EPA's enviro-whackos have told Americans how much gas they must buy.

Nothing like a little hope and change huh? Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I though America was like what Australia once used to be: a land of the fair and free!

That's outrageous, having to purchase a minimum of 4 gallons, when your fuel tank only holds half a gallon.

It is unreal. I usually fill a 2.5 gal gas can and mix my fuel with oil at home for my 66cc/2 stroke bicycle engine and I guess I can get a 5 gal can. The 4 gal min. requirement isn't that big of a deal for me although those with 4stroke engines will no longer be able to pull up to the pump and fill their bikes with less than a gal of gas unless they just waste over 3 gals paid for and unused.

But the biggest problem for me is the new Ethanol blend of 15%. Ethanol is terrible for 2 stroke engines. It destroys them! 10% ethanol isn't even good for them but 15% will totally destroy them, I feel sorry for the motorcyclists though. Sigh, what has happend to the country I love?

An observation

Here in Wisconsin several stations sell 100% gas and have separated those pumps from the blended fuel dispensers. I only fill up at those pumps. And I do get some really big smiles from the counter people when I tell em pump # 4 and the total is 55 cents Plus I only run 93 octane which for the most part is 100 % gas. Again, just an observation.

Honda 35 gx 4 stroke Staton FD

Red

Please, people!!! This whole ethanol scare is rediculous. My brother has been distilling his own fuel for years, and his engines have held up fine. He makes methanol from grass clippings and wood chips, and has re-jetted his ATV and chainsaws, mowers, etc. The fuel limit may go over in the People's Republic of California, but will never work in the rest of the country. This current ethanol binge is brought to you by Monsanto and other large corporations bent on selling us ever larger amounts of genetically modified grains. Just say NO! In my hometown, we have 2 stations that sell 100% gas. (only 91 octane) They get my business, and a lot of others. If the bikers band together we can defeat this limit law, if it is even true and not just someone's political propaganda. I would think that with the current empathsis on energy conservation, the government would encourage the increase in smaller engines. 2 stroke engines are here to stay, especially in my home state, where a lot of people still cut their own firewood, hunt their own game, (ATV) fishing, (outboards) etc. Sorry for rambling, but this thread appears to be a hoax perpetrated by someone with an agenda, and I'm not buying it.

An observation

Here in Wisconsin several stations sell 100% gas and have separated those pumps from the blended fuel dispensers. I only fill up at those pumps. And I do get some really big smiles from the counter people when I tell em pump # 4 and the total is 55 cents Plus I only run 93 octane which for the most part is 100 % gas. Again, just an observation.

Honda 35 gx 4 stroke Staton FD

Red

Well, pulling up to the pump and putting 55 cents in will come end. This is not a silly CA thing but a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MANDATE. These new restrictions will apply to every state. Stations will no longer be able to sell pure unblended gas and everyone will have to buy a min of 4 gals at a time.

explanation from the AMA web site

The reason for the four gallon minimum is to protect small engines from fueling with the E15 gasoline and it applies only to dispensing hoses that are either dedicated E15 or E15/E10 combination hoses. This information is from the AMA's web site (http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...r-gallon_gas_purchase_from_certain_pumps.aspx), quoted below.

"EPA requires that retail stations that own or operate blender pumps either dispense E15 from a dedicated hose and nozzle if able or, in the case of E15 and E10 being dispensed from the same hose, require that at least four gallons of fuel be purchased to prevent vehicles and engines with smaller fuel tanks from being exposed to gasoline-ethanol blended fuels containing greater than 10 volume percent ethanol."

Well, pulling up to the pump and putting 55 cents in will come end. This is not a silly CA thing but a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MANDATE. These new restrictions will apply to every state. Stations will no longer be able to sell pure unblended gas and everyone will have to buy a min of 4 gals at a time.

OK I am off to the retailer I buy from and ask

Please, people!!! This whole ethanol scare is rediculous. My brother has been distilling his own fuel for years, and his engines have held up fine. He makes methanol from grass clippings and wood chips, and has re-jetted his ATV and chainsaws, mowers, etc. The fuel limit may go over in the People's Republic of California, but will never work in the rest of the country. This current ethanol binge is brought to you by Monsanto and other large corporations bent on selling us ever larger amounts of genetically modified grains. Just say NO! In my hometown, we have 2 stations that sell 100% gas. (only 91 octane) They get my business, and a lot of others. If the bikers band together we can defeat this limit law, if it is even true and not just someone's political propaganda. I would think that with the current empathsis on energy conservation, the government would encourage the increase in smaller engines. 2 stroke engines are here to stay, especially in my home state, where a lot of people still cut their own firewood, hunt their own game, (ATV) fishing, (outboards) etc. Sorry for rambling, but this thread appears to be a hoax perpetrated by someone with an agenda, and I'm not buying it.

It is not a "hoax", haha, I only wish it was. Here is a link of the copy of the letter sent to the EPA from the American Motorcycle Association. It's not like I'm making this stuff up dude! It's nice to hear that you are having no trouble running your engine on wood chips and such but experts have tested small motors and found that Ethanol has proved to be terrible for the life of small engines, particularly 2 stroke engines. It's true that the very blue state of CA is crazy in love with blended gas but you are wrong that oil companies want these restrictions placed on them because it costs them big money to refine gasoline with these different blends. In my state you can't even get a 2 stroke engine sent in to CA. To get my 2 stroke kit I actually had to have it sent to a friend in another state and have them send it to me (illegally) because it is against the law to send them to people in CA. If you don't believe me go to ebay and look up 2 stroke bike kits, every one of them says "WILL NOT SEND TO CA RESIDENTS." Also, CA has 10s of 1000s of bikers and they did band together but still failed to stop these CA mandates. The pols here just don't care what bikers have to say. It's very clear that the environmentalist wackjobs HATE 2 stroke engines because of their extra exhaust when mixed with oil. You should do some research on this before you "ramble on" about stuff you know nothing about and essentially call me a liar because it makes you look ignorant. I will say that you are correct about one thing, this is a political agenda but it certainly is not propaganda. This is all too real.

me neither Thanks for stating the obvious PH

Red

Back