The "Floating Bed" is so ridiculously awesome...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sparky, May 2, 2012.

1. sparky

sparky Active Member

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51490

So....

What I've been thinking is....

Instead of a trampoline that's difficult to find, or too expensive for a new one.... I present, an octagon frame!!

8 - three ft pipes, either 1" or 1-1/2"
    8 - "45 degree" elbows [or street elbows??]
    8 - nuts, possibly to connect the pipes to the street elbows w/ blue loctite???
    8 - eight ft lines of 7/64" amsteel blue
    1 - hook [or eyelet?] welded onto a 2" or wider bar that runs perpendicular to 3 joists [maybe 4?]
    -- a few screws / bolts to connect the bar to the joists
    -- hopefully, a 1-piece eight-ft octagon-shaped "sheet" or "mat" to lay on
    -- some eyelets for the sheet, to tie it down to the octagon frame
    -- a little more amsteel blue or other rope to tie the sheet to the frame

Hopefully this octagon idea will work.

What I'm wondering is will two or more of these 45 degree elbows actually "line up" to form a ring? Perhaps the street elbows plus nuts will actually allow me to line everything up easily?

Was thinking about getting 8 of the regular ones, and then removing the threads from the "final" connecting joints, so that I could slide it in and then run a bolt thru it.... but it appears that the street elbows might actually do what I need and could make [dis]assembly much easier.

Does this sound about right, mechanically, to you guys???

Anybody know of a cloth sheet I could get in a 9 ft diameter or so? A sail boat's sail cloth? A flag?

Can anybody think of a better way to connect the floating bed to the joists??

Phew... :sweatdrop:

That was tough to type out. Need to take a rest now. :goofy:

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I spent almost two years sleeping most nights in what began life as a deluxe outdoor porch swing with a canopy. It was on an enclosed patio, and I bought a roll of canopy bed gauze netting to surround it with to keep the mosquitos and flies off. After the first night I shortened the rear chains by 2 links each, which leveled the seat, and laid the seat back flat, then replaced the cushion with a double bed futon mattress. Best bed I ever owned, by far, especially after I took a leaf from an"automatic baby silencer" (powered swing) my older sister had for her daughter,and put a power rocking mechanism on it.

It was simple, cheap (the steel framed reclining porch swing I got for $25 at a garage sale), durable, and almost sinfully comfortable. It just wasn't practical to move it when I moved 2,600 miles. Thanks for reminding me of it.

3. DeathProof

DeathProof Member

hook a 49cc grubee engine to that hammock and let the gentle sound of the engine rock u to sleep :smile:

4. sparky

sparky Active Member

SimpleSimon,

I was hoping you'd enjoy this post.

Could you help me out with these elbow joints??

Does this all sound about right to you?

If I were to get the regular elbows, what do you believe the chance would be that they and the pipes would all "tighten down" perfectly flat on the z-axis??? ... if ya catch my drift. I guess if they didn't line up, I could just unscrew them and use the loctite. Perhaps drill holes in both ends of the elbows for a bolt to form the perfectly level z-axis???

Guess I could really go play with the 10-ft poles in the store, eh?? :devilish:

EDIT: For clarification, this 8-ft octoganal ring is measured from one corner to opposing corner. The end pieces are 3-ft, and the inside angle is 135 degrees (the "45 degree" elbows are just angles from another angle ;)). Presuming that my x-axis & y-axis all line up (excluding the very last connection of leg to elbow, which I'll have to figure out something special), could different thread lengths or whatever... present a problem in terms of the z-axis??

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  5. SimpleSimon

Sparky, 45 degree street elbows would work fine. A couple of suggestions,though. Pre-drill and tap for a set screw each of the eight elbows in the same position, then screw them onto the side rail pipes separately. When you have all eight pipes joined with an elbow on one end, lay them out on a large, flat floor so that all of the "sides" are in their respective positions, then start joining the joints, being careful to keepo them flat to the floor. Once all of them are joined and fully seated, wrap a two inch wide by 30 ft or so ratcheting cargo strap around them, and slowly tighten it up, tapping on all the joints at each increment. With the smugged strap still in place, put in your set screws, ad remove the strap. Last, take 14 gauge iron wire and wrap a loop snugly around each pair iof opposing vertices clear across the octagon, and wind the loops tight with short winding sticks - as tight as you possibly can.

That sets a dynamic tension into the octagon. It will remain subject to racking forces from unbalanced loading. I think you'd do better to construct an octagon from 2 x 6's, and cross brace it.

Round beds are a pain the arse, honestly - bedding is nearly impossible to find and annoyingly expensive when found. Why not just build a two-axis rockable rectangular frame?

6. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thanks Simon. That's pretty much the idea I had for the elbows. I think that the 1" iron would be strong enough to not need any cross braces of any kind.

The 2x6 octagon could work, but even just cross braces in the corner would take away a good portion of the sleeping area, which is supposed to be "pressure point free". I'll consider it, but it just doesn't seem as "awesome" to me at the moment.

As for the round bedding material, I think it'll be alright. I found a site, www.funspot.com , that does custom trampoline mats to the EXACT dimensions you want. Would already be set with tie-off loops. Or I could get a "black out cloth" for movies, which is supposedly like a canvas material.... then I'd have to get a friend to help me sew about 40 to 50 of those tie-off loops into the fabric.

I was considering tying opposing tie-off loops to each other.... but unless the sheet is PERFECTLY tight, the persons on top are going to be touching them, creating a pressure point.

I think finding an 8 ft trampoline could be easier in the long run, plus stronger and give a perfect 8 ft all the way around, instead of 7.4 ft at some angles of an 8 ft octagon.

We'll see, I guess...

7. grongebis

grongebis New Member

THis is an awesome idea. I want to get one, but i don't trust my ceiling that much

8. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

I am really amazed that there is a hammock forum! I am more a swag person but I can't seem to find a swag forum anywhere :icon_cry:

9. sparky

sparky Active Member

What's a "swag"??

10. Anton

A swag is an aussie invention I believe. It's like a roll out tent but made from canvas. You leave your mattress, sleeping bag and pillow inside it. Just roll it out, hop in it and sleep!

Attached Files:

11. SimpleSimon

Actually, the swag is at least 1,000 years old as an idea. The troops of one of the German principalities in 1628 were issued bedrolls made that very way, with an upper flap that was pinned to the ground above the head, then brought up over a pair of Y frames (one on each side) with crossbars, and tied to the sides of the bag, forming a rain cowling over the upper end of the bag. The two Y sticks folded together and the crossbars were bundled with them inside the swag as it was rolled - the rain fly made the outer cover which laced shut.

The guy who persuaded the commander of those forces to institute this as standard issue did so with a written presentation that has survived to this day. In it, he credits the idea to the Janissaries of the Eastern Roman Empire

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

13. Anton

Hmm maybe the name swag is aussie then. Not sure what other people around the world call them.

Nice that's awesome!

14. sparky

sparky Active Member

15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

One of my crafty Facebook friends posted this. I figured you'd dig this.