"The Green Door" a new forum?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by augidog, Nov 19, 2009.

1. augidog

augidog Banned

hello Tom, Staff, and fellow members...i have a suggestion, and will try to allow it to be self-explanatory. (edit: i didn't try very hard, sorry)

in the spirit of making room for the "socio-forward" thinkers in our movement, "green door" just being a cute innuendo appropriate (imo) to our clubhouse environment & a play on words...how about a forum (in the Clubhouse) dedicated to fledgling efforts at organization i think i may be seeing here lately?

a place to centralize possible courses of future action, and a place where people can read & consider other points of view without having their current threads interrupted with "public service" announcements ;)

a "sub-club" if you will, but not along the lines of what kind of engine or motor...instead full mb-compliancy as agreed upon by participant-consensus. at the moment, we enjoy at least one compliant example of every style, and an organized group could help keep it that way.

except for specs & limits, an otherwise all-inclusive gathering of different bikes, minds, & ideas :idea:

a place you can ignore if you want to and not get upset over, as is your right, but there's some new stuff on the horizon, and there's a few folks here who are starting to notice we'll be helpless if we remain too fragmented.

i'm not too interested in leading anything except i'm bored waiting for spring...this one i'll just cross my fingers that discussion of said suggestion remains as civil as most everything has been lately :cool2:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

2. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Would that be like Al Gore type green door
  3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

People control stuff.
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

now, i knew disagreement was predictable, but so what? it's ok and it's answerable, but no way i'll toss a single direct or general insult by way of discussion...this is only out there to see if anyone else likes the idea and has low-enuff gearing to climb the hill. as the OP i made a lucid and civil post and deserve the same in response, but that's all i expect...differing opinions are welcome.

but dig this one guys..."people control things" is what this is all about...people are always trying to control things as much as they can in any way they can...thing is, every one of us does it, for our own respective reasons...including y'all, and anyone else who takes part in this discussion.

i did not suggest any kind of "takeover" or "control" but a way to leave things be as they are and provide a section for focused discussion of future scenarios. i thought old guys would appreciate the humor in the green door thing, because this has never been about green to me but about what green means to the majority. look more closely at my history to see if i ever hugged a tree, but rather consistantly advised the best route for us was accepting that someone else was ultimately in control of our "vehicles" because vehicles are always regulated sooner or later.

in our litigious world, with mutual-liability a priority concern on the asphalt, people will clutch at any straw they can...emissions is an easy hammer to swing, ask any recreational-motorist about the last 20 years...and stay tuned for the next chilling episode...no bicycle with an ICE on it anywhere on the road, the insurance guys told the law guys enuff was enuff and that's that. or the oil guys. or whoever, pick your villian. face it, we're the biggest sore-thumb EVER, and we have to start thinking about how we're gonna fit into the future...imo.

really, this is no different than the "friction-drive" guys wanting some space...just don't participate and then who would care, eh? everything else on the forum would proceed as usual...and maybe someday the sub-group's insight & input could be as helpful to you then as it was a few years back ;)

i'm about to take off on my only chance to really experience what this has all meant to me, and i am no longer interested in stopping anyone or anything, but i am interested in the movement being ready when someone tries to stop us from riding altogether. pay attention, that stuff really happens, even in the free world.

if this thread dies due to no interest or gearing, it won't change a single thing in my plans. i don't begrudge anyone anything up to this point...just please let me keep riding, this bike is my life.
  5. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

OK by me Augi.....I am always interested in more info and knowledge about motorebikes...and what people who have a lot of experiance building and riding them, have to say..
  6. Pablo

I have no problem with a forum like that.........I just don't like Al Gore and his hypocritical type.
  7. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

I predict Al Gore will be eaten by a polar bear.
  8. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I'm so sick of this "green" baloney. Everywhere you look, someone is promoting green. How green was that 71 car motorcate that Mao Obama had the other day?
  9. Pablo

Wait until tax and trade hits. THAT will even priss the renters off!!
  10. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

YEA I am sick of green this.. and green that...AUGI.please call it something else..the new door , the future door,,..the open door...
  11. augidog

augidog Banned

but guys...anyone from the 70's would LOVE the "green door" reference & appreciate the sarcasm in it's use...but ok i'm an old perv...i guess i'm open to alternatives.

thank you for such cool replies :cool:
  12. 210061741

210061741 Guest

Sounds like a good thing to me.
    I would love to participate.
  13. augidog

augidog Banned

yaknow what i would post first, so's to walk what i talk?

a form letter to don grube encouraging him to keep at least one compliant-HT available.

...i'm ok where i'm at, and i do advocate improvements as i always have...but i truly empathize :)
  14. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Guess I would go for it with the "sarcasm" explanation, since I'm one of the 70's pervs. :grin5:

Little story that might back that idea up. Last spring I was filling up with gas, and a patrol car with a bike rack and two bikes pulled in and bought some munchies or water or something. The officers came up and started asking about my bikes and expressed an interest in becoming motorized. I thought it might be a good opportunity for some positive PR so I offered to meet them at my shop sometime, and they could try out the various versions that I have tried to build. To my surprise, they accepted with great enthusiasm.

Well, they showed up and I showed them what I had. I even mentioned the legality issue in case they wanted to stay in the parking lot. They said that scooters are illegal unless registered, but bicycles although not specifically legal are also not specifically illegal, therefore they choose to accept them unless they have other reason not too....driving like an idiot I suppose.

They liked the concept of the pusher trailer for its cargo capacity, but thought it was too cumbersome to put in a bike rack. The frame and rack mount 2 strokes were as Pam said "a little too shrill to patrol around the tourists" They both liked the 4 stroke rack mounts, Pam liked the cruiser (it's a ladies frame) and Larry liked the Mongoose, (it was snappy):devilish:

I explained to them that these were just home made ideas and there were several commercial kits available that are more durable and professional looking. They asked if their idea flew with their superiors if I would be willing to be an *advisor* or *consultant*. Of course I said sure with visions of police riding around on MBs arresting cagers for cutting me off etc. Might even help to get the bike paths plowed and sanded in the winter.:idea:

Well, at this point nothing has developed, but I am still hoping that it will.

The statement that brings this whole story on topic is Larrie's oft repeated phrase, we can always play the green card, and don't forget the green card.

Little side note to Augi and I believe Motorpsycho on comments to another post I made in another thread....Larrie's favorite bike was running a 97cc engine with the label peeling off. He said," gee it looks almost like the 50 on the girls bike. Too bad you can't just get a Honda sticker like that one and put it on this one." No paranoia, no hiding from the cops, just following their suggestion. :grin5:

PS. Larry and Pam...you guys on here by any chance?
  15. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Ibennyak.....Alaska is more down to earth and real...things get twisted down here in the lower 48
  16. augidog

augidog Banned

the green card

heck yeah, he gets it.

believe it or not, i view MBcompliancy as a defensive weapon against further attacks...i didn't write the MB-rules, but i know if i push them the next set of rules will be even more restrictive.

so twist it back on them is what i'm saying...to capture positive attention from the folks we need (or will need) on our side, we have to give them a way to justify supporting us.

instead of a few folks bopping around trying to change the whole crowd, i just suggest a forum where the info can be found if you're interested, or in case you wind up needing it someday.

i understand that younger folks will cringe at any mention of a "green" anything...altho i'm attached to my cute innuendo and ask that you consider it as good tongue-in-cheek, i'm willing to concede a name change if staff deems this effort worthy of its' own space.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  17. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Oh, Ak can be twisted too. :devilish: There are lots of things I disagree with, including how the green issue is handled. I don't think anyone advocates destroying the landscape, especially not me, but treating it as a large park isn't practical either. Gee, we got trees, we got oil, we got gold, you name it we got it. I don't see the problem with some thoughtful conservationism and create some jobs and help solve our dependence on outside oil at the same time. just my opinion of course.

As far as the motored bike issue, there are only 4 or 5 in Juneau that I know of, and I was the second one. I will say that I am the most visible biker here, so I guess I will take some credit for the semi tolerant attitude here. I am sure things will change when society decides they are a bad thing, but the status right now is that they aren't specifically mentioned or even defined in our legal codes, and as long as we present a positive image, it may stay that way, for a while....the gray area we always talk about.

I will say that many of the road bikers do not like the concept, and Juneau has a large and devoted group of road bikers, so I would anticipate that the problem will start there. The police seem to have a live and let live attitude thus far. I didn't expect it to get to the point where they would want to ride them themselves.

Alaska license plates say "the last frontier" That is about as untrue as it can get in a political sense. In the motored biking world though, it may still be true.

18. Tom

Tom Active Member

The Green Door is a cleaver name. However, would there be more than a few threads that would end up going into this new forum? Maybe you guys can come up with a list of a few threads that could be moved into there...
  19. augidog

augidog Banned

well, i think yes over time...i suspect this kind of forum would need to be available first as encouragement.

what i see in there:

first, as promised, my proposed form-letter to don in support of a compliant HT for the USA...in downloadable txt form for printing, signing, and mailing...heck i'll even setup the envelope if ya's want.

similar form-letters to identified sympathizers at all levels of law & legislation (not an L & L but using our growing L & L library as reference)

(for crowd comfort, i'll always use "green door" instead of just "green")

"green door" rides & events (not the same as let's ride, but also a great cross-reference opportunity) that draw attention to our unity and the benefits of compliant MB'ing.

an "I Comply, Ask Me Why" topic might be cool...no insults or smugness allowed.

i'll happily start collecting existing topic-links that may be appropriate for the new area, but in fairness we would have to let the OP ultimately decide if it goes in. maybe an appeal for OP's to make a move-request would be productive, too.

etc...? again, i think the area needs to be there first...and you can always fold it back into the general areas if there's no growth after a reasonable amount of time.

thanks a LOT for considering this...standing by :)
  20. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

I think it a good suggestion and I'd be interested in such a forum. Probably in the minority here but I think something like that is long overdue. The focus of my interests in MBs has alway been Alt Trans, a widespread practical, everyday alternative solution to transportation needs.

I 'd participate if it could stay positive and civil.