The Hornet "Barn Find"

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by bobcaller, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

My goal is being reached, people are thinking I found it this way and got it running. The Rocket Ray headlight is on its way. Still debating on whether to put the rear fender and rack on.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

nice.... I love the barn fresh look!! Nice find.

I vote yes on the fender & rack.
    you'll prolly have to trim some of the fender away for chain clearance.
    and racks are mighty handy for hauling stuff.

3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Very nice! I like the primered tank.

Dan

4. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

Thanks, I think I may go with the fender, but hate to cut it. I guess there are others if and when i decided to restore the hornet. I took it out last night and did about seven miles! I have new bearings coming for the front wheel. I have an original NOS 1950's Western Auto speedometer I want to put on it but I need to find a longer axel. Dax is also sending me a mirror.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

6. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

Thanks on the info on the speedo, I do have the schwinn digital on it now, but am experiencing the same problem as most with it reverting back to the odometer setup screen. I thought it was from the vibration. I won't put the NOS Western Flyer one on, I will put it on my 1964 Sears mainliner.

7. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Nice, strong bike. Would love to see the Mainliner, too!

8. davidsis

davidsis Guest

Back fender

I say a back fender goes on it and I think you should put some foe rust on the engine so it looks old. Fake rust spray paint or something on the engine.

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

hey bobcaller,
    could we have a close-up look at your front motor mount?
    and...what year is your hornet?

10. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

thast a sweet bike like the style. that seat looks like a 2x6 whit a couple of springs:eek:

11. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

I will post a pic of the front mount later tonight. I machined it on my drill press from a block of aluminum.
    The seat feels like a 2x6 also!. It is the original seat from 1953 (which answers the question on the year of the Hornet.
    I will be putting the rear fender and carrier on it tomorrow, after I (sigh) cut the rear fender to make way for the chain.
    I bought a seat from Target yesterday and put it on. It was advertised as "large, wide and comfortable". It was large, wide, and not comfortable, so I am taking it back. I bought a jel cover to go over the original.

12. JE

JE Guest

Looks good.I have a 1948 hornet that is close to the same color.Here are a couple web for vintage bikes. thecabe.com nostalgic.net

13. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

Sorry for the delay, here is a closeup of the Motor mount. I am having trouble with the front clamp bending over as I tighten it however, and it is causing the the rods to pull in, and is stripping the 6mm threaded rod. I guess I will either widen the holes a bit, or go another route for the outside clamp. I will be posting pics of the completed bike later, after the paintg on the rocket ray headlight finishes drying (I converted it to LED!!)

14. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

15. bobcaller

bobcaller Guest

And here is the completed project, with the LED Rocket Ray conversion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

nice job on the mount. 8)