Sprockets the Howard Sprocket Mount is HERE!!!- first run from CNC shop

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Sgt. Howard, Sep 26, 2011.

Is this design a winner?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2011.
  1. Yes! It walks on water!

2. Not bad for an amature, looks like it might work fine.

0 vote(s)
  3. I dunno- MIGHT be better than a ragmount

0 vote(s)
  4. What a waste of aluminum...

0 vote(s)
  1. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

As promised, here is the first Howard mount from Brewster Manufacturing. At least, so I hope- computers have been ... fussy... here lately...
    AHA!!! IT... IS... ALIVE!!!!! ... sorry, couldn't resist... actually, I could have, but I didn't want to... here is four shots of the system off the bike, should be easy enough to understand at a glance. Over-engineered, way too sturdy for the task at hand... in short, a typical Howard operation. That's the way I build rifles, I see no need to do motored bikes any different. The "bullet Proof" mount... well, maybe that's a bit strong- I have AP rounds that would make quick hash of it, but you get the general idea. LMK waddya think-
    the Old Sgt.

Attached Files:

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

How much are they going to sell for?
  3. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Just a loose quote- I'm guessing in the $50 to $55 market. That includes 6 bolts, nine spacers and the three pieces- you supply the HT sprocket and use THEIR nine 6mm bolts.
    the Old Sgt.
  4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

I like it, but i would like it better if it were round rather than a square / triangle shape.
    I just think it would look out of place on a round wheel, round hub and round sprocket.
    Gotta keep the round theme going to make everything flow in my opinion.
  5. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Those flat surfaces are so the bolt heads can anchor better- perhaps not asthetic to some, but I am informed that had I made these out of steel I could easily crush the hub with them. I like 'solid'. Your life rides on that hub, I will not further endanger it. It makes concentricity easy to achieve and near impossible to loose- just did the tests today. No slippage... AND I GREASED THE HUB TO SEE IF I COULD MAKE IT FAIL! 6.75 square inches of contact surface held tight by 6 5/16" bolts, each with a full linear inch of threaded purchase into 60 rockwell aluminum.
    I will match it against any other.
    the Old Sgt.
  6. abikerider

abikerider Member

It looks way overbuilt. I love it! Like you said, your life may depend on it.
  7. olow

olow Member

to all u machinists out why hasnt anyone come up with a coupler for the new red air filtered carbs to fit the intakes instead of the nylon gaskets they use and do nothing more than melt away. im quite sure someone could make one out of aluminum just saying
  8. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Currently working on the very thing- sealing the carb end and the gap of the useless nylon bushing with formagasket2 seems to extend it's temporary lifespan, but by how much I do not know. Once I find the magic dimentions that allow for easy installation with reliable seal, it will go to the same people making the hub mount.
    BTW- the production of the hub mount is going foreward. Should have the first twenty sets in two weeks... if more are needed, more can be had.
    the Old Sgt.
  9. willfargo

willfargo Member

i cannot wait for you to have these for sale!
  10. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

yes, the plastic / nylon gasket is a cheap way to make it work.
    i think that the carb should have a flanged end on it, that would bolt to an intake manifold that also has a flanged end on it (double flanged).
    the manifold would bolt to the cylinder with a gasket.
    the carb would bolt to the intake manifold with a gasket for a fool proof seal.
    BUT, someone would have to re-design the end of the carb and put a flange on it, or make a peice of tube that would go into the carb. and have a flange on the end.
    But then you would have the same problem...a round peice of tube going into the carb with no real way to seal it.
    the main goal is to try and eliminate that plastic/nylon seal and pinch bolt design.
    My 50 c.c. 2 stroke doesn't even have an intake tube. The carb has a flange & gasket and it bolts directly to the cylinder.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Hub Mount.

Good work Sarge, It really does look bullet proof. Will there be different sizes for different sized hubs?
    I'm with you about function over form. Sure, you could make it "pretty", But first it has to work, and work well. Once the bike gets rolling it will look round anyway. Perhaps you could simply round off the corners slightly. It might help some with the people that want form over function.
    Big Red.
  12. hammer5312

hammer5312 Member

Looks good Sarge....
    I always liked one of Richard Petty's comments about functionality.....if it don't make it go faster paint it black.

Anyway....Aluminum would be the next evolution, you might pretty it up a little by machining some grooves in it to lighten it up....I was thinking maybe some holes, but they would end up being a dirt collector...
  13. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Grooves and holes... just more machinework and cost. Trust me, it looks pretty clean once it is in place. Later productions WILL sport my name and the name of the machine shop that's knocking them out. Chris Bailey was my employer before I had my heart attack in 2007- by the time I had recovered, his machine shop had no work for me. That's when I went back into surgery for a living (scrub tech). When this idea went to paper, I knew that Chris was going to do it- he has the only C-N-C shop within two hour's drive, and he is a real booger... er... perfectionist... about quality control. He AND his whole crew are real jazzed about what I am doing- we've been discussing the carb bushing in aluminum for a bit now, it's all down to me finding the time to knock out and prove the prototype. A bit hard here lately as I've bagged the first deer of the season... with my toyota... and the landlady's being a bit of a pill about "That ugly, junked wreck parked on MY LAND..." I JUST got it running again, but I'm not sure the hood is salvagable- oh well. Three running bikes for sale, no buyers yet. All in good time- I will advise when the mounts are in and when the website is up- I will be advertising on this site as well as the other- and shamelessly plug further developments as they occur.
    Still can't get over it- less than a year ago, I built my first MB. Now I'm $3,600 deep into production with my own design coming out of a machine shop- HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!? Oh well, play the ball where the monkey drops it....
    the Old Sgt.
  14. willfargo

willfargo Member

can you give us a time estimate as to when production may start on these? I'm currently shopping for one around on the internet but would much rather support your work and buy from someone im loosely(its the internet!) familiar with! the rag joint system that was isntalled on the bike i bought has totally ruined the spokes and the wheel is totally out of true, so i am going to be replacing the rim but i need an adapter prior to doing so!
  15. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

To my understanding they are in production right now- as soon as I get the first payment for the manufacturing I will have some sets for sale- remember, they are for the Shiamono CB-110 coaster brake mono-speed hub as found on the Worksman, and will fit the Chinese clones of the same used by Huffy- you will need to measure your hub diameter to the thousandths of an inch- I need to re-measure to give dimentions, a bit groggy right now- just finished driveing a 1974 GMC 66 passenger bus nearly 300 miles. My motorbike has a better weight-to-horsepower ratio and this thing has no pedals!!! Spent a lot of time being passed by Vegas, Gremlins and Pintos... disgusting....
    the Old Sgt.:sweatdrop: