The Journey of The Corps of Discovery

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by augidog, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augidog

augidog Banned

ok, time to put some feelers out there...this might could happen, and it would truly be the experience of your life. perfect for retirees.

i'm a st. louis native, and have always had a strong interest in the story of the lewis & clark expedition.

i've lived at both the beginning and the end of their route. and at times i've dreamed of bicycling it.

here i am, sitting in alaska, waiting for next spring to head back to washington state & continue my long-ride. been watching the ken burns version of the corps' story this evening, when it struck me...well, DUH!!

summer 2011, astoria oregon to st. charles missouri, a discovery corps of motor-assisted-bicycles, retracing the original route as much as possible.

need to open discussion early, there's (sorry to say) some MB-politics would need to be worked out, because i'd like to involve the media and bring production along with us...and of course the tons of other logistics. all makes welcome, all styles welcome, but consistent mechanical standards are a must...i'll throw my experience, connections, and limited funds into the hat...who else is in?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

2. augidog

augidog Banned

calmer thoughts...IF:

if the group didn't want to involve the media, fine by me.

if an experienced leader emerges and wants to take over, fine by me.

if noone can join me, fine by me.

this will be my plan for the next leg of my long-ride. makes sense, and now i can start planning instead of just winging it. first, i need to see if i can dig up "thescooterguy"s old shriner's run information and find out what roads he used into idaho.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

10 years until retirement and I'm there!! (I feel lucky to get 2 days off!!)
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

IF i still have a pulse in 10 years, you have a deal :cool:
  5. robin bird

robin bird Member

im interested im retired and maybe retarded to do this but with someone else it would be fun. i have to find out your dates. I still am planing a trip up interior B.C.
    I have a trailer -2 wheel--and a 33 cc Subaru--write me ill give you my email and phone #
  6. augidog

augidog Banned

hi are one of the guys i had in mind who might wanna do this. figuring out dates and starting point is something the group can work out together. i plan to be back in bellingham, wa. in may. we have a couple options for a gathering spot in washington state, and of course we (and anyone else who wants to) could meet up along the way, too.

on my limited mobile device all i can use is web-based email. anyone interested please send a brief email to

i think i already have an email from you, Robin, i'll find it and send off a reply.

also, because of my internet limitations i can't C&P links to articles, maps, etc...

i'll manually insert this pbs interactive map for those who want to learn more:
    anyone who feels like putting some links to relevant info here, it would be greatly appreciated :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. robin bird

robin bird Member

I could go straight south and meet on highway 97 and then go from there --will be in contact
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. augidog

augidog Banned

phone call comin' at ya buddy...yes this will be a ton-o-fun...let's keep discussion of the route/logistics here, in hopes of enticing more participants :cool:
  9. hurricane

hurricane Member

This is a fun idea Augi, you have a lot of gypsy blood in you for sure.

Before I got neutered er uhm I mean married i used to do a lot of road traveling myself . I took a 4 month walk about from Mn to San fran. then straight north as far as you can go by road ,and touched my toes in the icy waters next to the oil field at Purdue Bay,AK. Me and my two companions spent 3 months exploring alaska we ended up right back where we started in Mn and i got married a short time later. We took a car , which in no way comparable to a MB, but we camped every single night , never stayed in a hotel but one night the entire trip. It was alot of fun and the freedom was undeniable.

I have looked over alot of your Alaskan adventure and read alot of it, it was pretty cool you took the time to narrate your story on this website. Hopefully if you do this trip you will graciously share your story and photos again?
  10. hurricane

hurricane Member

do you have a link to your bike build ? Im curious to understand what you built that carried you so many miles.
  11. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Yea ...looking forward to the continued adventures of Augi riding that MB ...still haven't made it to Alaska..I really enjoyed the pictures you have been posting here..Had a chance to come up there and work on the Pipeline years go but baby girl ,you know stuff got in the way..some friends went and worked the pipeline ..when they left ,they brought back a big mobile welding Miller trailer unit and gave it to me...almost rode a bike (motorcycle) up there but as Hurricane suggested being married does throw a wrench into plans..I am officially retired now and tadpole trike will have a motor will fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee with plenty of other gear..I am thinking and planning..HMMMMM .maybe this summer
  12. augidog

augidog Banned

i can't copy & paste with my for threads started by me in this traveling forum for pics and outside links to other info.

Sabrina II is...
    originally mid 80's "miami bike supply" 5-spd cruiser
    frame stretched by iRide Customs
    Whizzer "billet" triple-tree fork
    now single-spd freewheel w/vintage Worksman chainring
    f & r drum-brake hubs from '82 AMF Moped
    wheels 10g front 9g rear (rear built by TheWheelmaster)
    24v battery from currie pro-drive now powers front raptor headlight fairing & rear taillight from '82 Honda Hobbit
    Golden Eagle drive-train powered by Tanaka "Purefire" 40cc 2-stroke
    homebuilt single-wheel trailer w/"Shockster" suspension

btw-to anyone (including Tedd!): noone said we couldn't turn this into a complete caravan...bring the family, it would be great to have a support vehicle or two along...maybe a utility trailer for extra bikes or taking a break. just use yer imagination on how you could fit in, and how much fun this could be, for EVERYONE!
  13. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member vechicle with got me thinking about this again
  14. augidog

augidog Banned

this is so gonna rock! like i said, camping can be arranged in washington state while we gather. Tedd, if this works out, would be willing to share the ride/expenses with another rider and bike?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  15. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

A gathering / resting spot

Hi all.. Augi is a wonderful planner for anyone who doesn't know look up Ocean Park rally in 08! Even Tom made it to that event. Augi.. From Bellingham u go to Hwy 20 head east there is Rainy pass n washington pass not too high?? Follow signs for Tonasket.. turn right follow 20E again toward Republic thats where we are.. I think u go over loop loop pass right before Republic... we are houseless at the moment, living with friends but should have our own squattin ground soon! Wherever we end up would be great as a gathering spot.. Republic is at the base of Sherman pass it's tallest of all passes on way here
    5576ft 1699km so Republic would be good regrouping meeting spot? Since Shane's bike vs car fiasco his bike is my avatar.. broken. I being a gentlewoman gave him mine the red we will be making him a new one! Funny thing I used to be affraid of his burley bike but now that it sits on my bike have no problem tootling up n down the hills on his Tanaka 42 makes my robin/ subaru feel like a slo-ped lol. Even if we end up on the other side of Sherman Pass it will be all good! Looking forward to it.. I heard from the fellow we are staying with that there is a motorized bike trail for atv's etc that goes a long way so maybe the main road can be somewhat avoided?
    Will let u all know after I do some research. What a blast of an idea! Sorry wen't to bed at 9p, phone was dead lol n chargin in the car chat at u soon..
    Luv Q
  16. augidog

augidog Banned

to the folks who have emailed me, telling me this is a good idea, etc...

why not post those sentiments here? let yourself dream, encourage others to dream, let others encourage you.

this could be quite the adventure, the memory would be forever & priceless. if you find a way to get involved, you'll never regret it :cool:
  17. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

18. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Go for it. I wish I had the time and ability to join.....but I will cheer all on and live vicariously through the stories.
  19. robin bird

robin bird Member

October 12, 1805
    Patrick Gass
    Most of our people having been accustomed to meat, do not relish the fish, but prefer dog-meat, which, when well cooked, tastes very well.
    The country on both sides is high dry prairie plains without a stick of timber. There is no wood of any kind to be seen except a few small willows along the shore; so that it is with difficulty we can get enough to cook with October 17, 1805
    John Ordway
    the natives Stole a large ax from us last night. we bought Several more dogs from them as we can git no other meat to eat, ..
    October 22, 1805
    William Clark
    purchased a Dog for supper ... we with much dificuelty purchased as much wood as cooked our dog this evening, our men all in helth.
    From PBS notes on the Lewis and Clarke Trail
    Hey Augi I sure hope this will be a full reenactment thing cus i love dogmeat LOL
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  20. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

With good BBQ sauce and plenty of it, dogmeat is good...had Germanshepard at a biker party a while back
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.