The legality of riding motorized bicycles, in specified bicycle road lanes.

chad

Local time
4:56 AM
I live in New Orleans, La., and there are many marked bicycle lanes on our roads.

The following link shows pictures of these specified bicycle lanes.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...23.12j1.13.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.img.brCih-9RXq8

I believe these lanes were designed for regular pedal powered bicycles.
What do you think about riding motorized bicycles in these lanes?

Also what kinds of riding practices should I follow, when riding a motorized bicycle in these bicycle lanes?

Thank you,
Chad.

Last edited:
Hey man howsit!? I ride my gas powered bike on the si-- let me go back farther... My area has these paved pathways interconnecting all over the city.. I ride them. I read the laws regarding these bikes and because of their inherent irregularity, there is kind of a legal limbo here... to avoid a a police baton to the face i recommend these tips.
1. where a helmet. and riding gloves.
2. have one clear lens front lamp and one rear amber or red lens lamp.
3. do not ride on pathways, sidewalks, or bicycle lanes.
my reasoning is this, there is nothing under the motor vehicles act, but my city bylaw is this; no motored vehicle, whether running or not, shall be used on public pathways. Dont get me wrong, I burn down alleyways, run mothers and children off the pathways, and have nearly been clothes-lined a couple of times by irate oncoming purest cyclists. I enjoy it, but its against the law. So if you are responsible i.e. tips above, and respectful. you should have no problems, but....

Hey man howsit!? I ride my gas powered bike on the si-- let me go back farther... My area has these paved pathways interconnecting all over the city.. I ride them. I read the laws regarding these bikes and because of their inherent irregularity, there is kind of a legal limbo here... to avoid a a police baton to the face i recommend these tips.
my reasoning is this, there is nothing under the motor vehicles act, but my city bylaw is this; no motored vehicle, whether running or not, shall be used on public pathways. Dont get me wrong, I burn down alleyways, run mothers and children off the pathways, and have nearly been clothes-lined a couple of times by irate oncoming purest cyclists. I enjoy it, but its against the law. So if you are responsible i.e. tips above, and respectful. you should have no problems, but....

We have similar riding styles, but I ride in bicycle lanes.

Some of the roads by my house have the bicycle arrow, in the right hand lane (far right side.) On these roads I take the right side of the right lane. Cars either drive behind me or pass me in the other lane.

While in a regular bike lane, if I see bicycles or pedestrians, I slow down to pedal power speed. And when no cars are on the road, I pass the bicycles in the right hand car lane. I then return to the bicycle lane.

On streets (near) the arrows, I also take the far right side (of the right lane.) But when cars come, I slow down and drive on the side of the road.

But on any major/busy street I go to 100% pedal power near the following situations.
Stop signs, red lights, and also when bicycles or pedestrians appear.

Last edited:

Many/most of the back streets around my house are in such bad condition, that they are unfit for motorized bike use. I believe the lack of smooth back streets has led to my aggressive lane taking style.

I am about to move to a new area without bicycle lanes, and with well paved roads. I imagine my riding style will change in my new neighborhood.

Title32

motor vehicles and traffic regulation

chapter 1. Louisiana highway regulatory act

part i. Definitions and general authority

(4) "Bicycle" means every device upon which any person may ride, propelled exclusively by human power, and having one or more wheels.

4.2) "Bicycle lane" means the part of the roadway adjacent to the travel lane, designated by official signs or markings for the preferential or exclusive use by bicycles and electric mobility aid users.

(4.4) "Bicycle path or trail" means a public way separated by open space, grade, or other physical barrier from motor traffic, either within the highway right-of-way or within an independent right-of-way, that is designated for use by persons riding bicycles.

40) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled, and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, but excluding a motorized bicycle. "Motor vehicle" shall also include a "low-speed vehicle" which is a four-wheeled, electric-powered vehicle with a maximum speed of not less than twenty miles per hour but not more than twenty-five miles per hour and is equipped with the minimum motor vehicle equipment appropriate for vehicle safety as required in 49 C.F.R. 571.500.

(41) "Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface.

Chad what one can conclude is you can be in the bike lanes and bike paths as long as you meet the definition of a motorized bicycle in Louisiana.

in my case its legality or safety. the only road from where i live to civilization is a 55mph highway with everyone driving their dualies and expeditions at 65-70mph... and then theres a bicycle path, almost never gets used. ill probably ride my mb on the path (rather get a ticket than get killed.) in town where the speed limit is 25-35 and everyone goes 20 because their dualies and expeditions are too top-heavy, i'll gladly ride in the street. (we dont have bike lanes or even sidewalks anyways...)

In Arizona, you can ride the bike lane with a motor if you limit your speed to 20mph. I hated riding the bike lane at night as you would encounter joggers and skaters and walkers with no lights or reflectors on them. Seems that when you have a bike lane, nobody wants to use side walk.

Here in Okanogan County Washington, the white fog line denotes on the highway denotes;
1) emergency parking for roadside assistance, load redistribution, emergency bodily functions etc.
2) bicycle, foot, mo-ped and similar traffic as there are few/no other through roads along highway 97
3) another level of work demanded by the road maintanance union as part of their extortion racket
I can cruise the full length of the county legally. When I encounter foot or bicycle traffic, I wait until I can pull into the road and pass. In 30 to 25mph zones, I pull into traffic as allowed by law ("If you can keep up with traffic...").
Some areas are vague in the way the law is written- here in Okanogan, the Sheriff hisself states unequivicolly (sp?) , "These things are bicycles- I will treat them accordingly,".

... just one more reason I'm glad I moved out here...

I can say with love, I am seen by most, I ride with respect, Only time I get stopped is to look at my bike. I do 17 mph, 25 when I have to, more if it's a fast dog! Wave at everyone!
Humans see your image and have good thoughts. Dogs think your a cop and chase you.

Back