The Pocket Bike Engine and Your Opinion...

Yikes, I got spooked about ordering one of these by one of the guys on the pocket bike forum I joined..he says it wont be that reliable and I'll end up paying for it.

Anyone got any first hand experience with these things?

I'm the wrong person to ask but here goes

I have very little run time on mine.

The biggest problem I have is starting. Its about 30 degrees outside, so starting any small engine poses a challenge.

When it was warmer outside, I had difficulties getting it primed. This was mostly due to me disconnecting the gas tank every time i put it away. I got a primer bulb and would hook it to the overflow tube until i could see fuel in my clear plastic filter. Then i would take it off and throw it in my pocket.

You absolutely want to go get a new spark plug. Champion, Bosch, Autolite - anything other than what it comes with.

I would also like to hear from anyone that has had one of these for a while. Parts are plentiful and cheap, but replacing stuff every week would be a pain.

I hope that I wont have to deal with those issues as I am in Florida and hope to keep the Fuel tank connected.

Thanks for the info! :)

Hey good 1, sounds like its on the move for you.

My pocket bike powered stingray is madass, i love it.
The motor is TOUGH, handles the extra revs no worries.

the only dramas really is it is a PIG on fuel. Just drinks it.
bent axle from the power.
So its a weekend ride only.
& I use my HT 2 strokes for every day rides.
All the best with your build.
Jase

Yikes, what kind of gas millage do you get? And what axle did it bend? Was it a jackshaft? If so what was the OD and length..I ask because I just ordered all my stuff and I want to make sure I don't bend anything.

How do you have it geared up also?

Thanks for the info!

Yikes, I got spooked about ordering one of these by one of the guys on the pocket bike forum I joined..he says it wont be that reliable and I'll end up paying for it.

Anyone got any first hand experience with these things?

well -- we wish you good luck with that one

bet it will be more than a fast THING

keep us informed -- pictures once it's THING in

always excited when we are waiting for the THING to come in

ride that THING

I forgot I blew out an axle too, but it was a cheapie stock one that was already worn out. I doubt the engine had anything to do with it. The threads were worn and partially stripped. i couldn't keep the cone bearing snugged up enough and everything wobbled.

Djase is right about the fuel. I finally got out and rode around for about 30 mins. I ran out of gas twice in 8 miles :rolleyes: There was a significant amount of spillage out of the vent too. New gas tank time?

The tank is somewhere around 6-8 oz and is for a chainsaw, a bit too small perhaps.

Thanks for the reply..the fuel consumption is a big issue for me so I have pretty much decided to use the Titan with one of the pocket bike clutch bells..I don't suppose anyone could get the measurements center to center for the mounting holes off of the clutch bell housing for me? I would really appreciate it and would be your best friend! :D

I have a 2d drawing somewhere.....

Forgive the metric measurements

It's 70 mm center to center on the mounting holes. And also 35mm from the center of the bell.

the holes are around 9/32

Thanks a ton for your help! I'm going to be ordering the last pieces of the puzzle very soon.

Back