The Progress of Depression

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, Dec 13, 2009.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I am not posting this to start an argument, or to point fingers at anyone or any party.

I just thought some of you might be interested in a clear and chilling visualization of the economy and it's "progress".

2. kerf

kerf Guest

Well I for one am not surprised. The very people that claim to be saving us are the ones driving that map. If we discount the motives of Congress for a moment, they're still creating a huge amount of uncertainty in the business community with their current legislation. Health Care, Cap and Trade, trillion dollar yearly deficits along with the unavoidable tax increases these things will bring are undermining the economy.

If we could send Congress home for a year and just turn the Capital lights out, you would see the economy heal itself.
  3. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

well simon... what did you expect when you were casting your vote for "the lesser of two evils". I saw this coming 18 months ago.
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

5. kerf

kerf Guest

Lets be careful, we're in the White Zone.
  6. give me vtec

I thought I cleaned it up quite nicely.... you know what I really wanted to say.
  7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I expected pretty much what we are seeing, and it is what I want to see. Temporary pain can motivate strong efforts toward real healing. Note when that decline got started rolling, however, and when most of the real damage occurred. There is always lead time before effects become visible.

Every bit of what kerf said is true, and his prescription toward a cure is good advice. This current mess was years in the making - I'm in favor of sending every current legislator home permanently, sans any retirement or benefits, as having failed their job, and taking a 2 year hiatus.
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

hope that it's not more than that SS

hope that it's not more than that SS

Temporary -- that would be great -- I am hoping that it's not forever

not sure up here ?? MM ---------- but --- staying hopeful
  9. kerf

kerf Guest

Gee guys, in the middle of all this, kerf just discovered a big ol pot of shrimp and okra gumbo on the stove. Kerf gonna be missing for a while.
  10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

IMO, the media is partially responsible for the mess we are in right now. And I think that many in the media did this to undermine the previous administration. Since 2004, they were saying that the housing market would collapse, that the jobs created after the tech bubble burst and 9/11 were all the "wrong kind" of jobs, and that we were in a recession even though GDP continued to grow. (albeit at a small rate) This mantra was drummed into the heads of the general public, and finally, when gasoline prices rose sharply and hit 4 bucks a gallon along with housing making a correction, the American public sharply stopped spending and it precipitated the mess we see today.

I think we could have ridden out a moderate correction in the housing market - which was too bloated because the fed was literally forcing banks to make risky loans to low income folks. The banks were all too willing to do this figuring that if the person defaulted on the loan, the home would have appreciated in value and could be sold at a profit anyway.

The problem was having a correction in the housing market, which was over-hyped by the news as being a crisis of epic proportions - and at the same time, gas hit record prices. At the time of the " $4 gas crisis", approx. 1 in 10 subprime mortgages were going into default. The subprime market was approx 10% of all mortgages, so only about 1% of mortgages were in jeopardy. You would have thought that every other mortgage was in default the way the media was reporting it.

In any case, the map shown in the result. And it stops at 8.x% - not at the current 10% unemployment.

I seriously doubt that we can or should continue to "spend our way out of this downturn" - as one very prominent person has suggested. Haven't we thrown enough money at it already?
  11. give me vtec

you are close... definitely on the right track.

You now have to factor in the worlds economy into this situation. I will give you two clues... outsourcing jobs and mortgage backed securities.
  12. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

What do you expect when the American people keep voting in the same two little kids fighting in the sandbox?

One little kid wants to spend all of our money and the other little kid wants to pad his pockets by sending our jobs overseas... Meanwhile the Federal Reserve and World Bankers are hi-jacking the whole playground...

It's plain to see the road we will head down if we keep spending. If you think sticking up for the kid who sent the jobs overseas will help? Please explain how he will recreate the HIGH PAYING jobs that he already shipped away! AG, you mentioned your knowledge of circulation of money upon the economy...

Jobs are the cornerstone of our problems and economy, I think we can all agree???

Let me just ask, and please answer if only in your own mind... Is it possible that the kids and hi-jackers reached an agreement behind closed doors inorder to make money pointing fingers while the media makes it a soap opera???

13. give me vtec

I see the American public as a field of (whatever you wish to see) ready for harvest. At least I think thats how THEY see us.

does that answer your question????
  14. machiasmort

"WASHINGTON | The Senate on Sunday passed a $1.1 trillion spending bill with increased budgets for vast areas of the government, including health, education, law enforcement and veterans’ programs."

I don't care if you are D or R, this is a totally bi-partisan statement. Do the math, OVER 20 BILLION per State to appropriate, that's plus any additional State taxes/revenues that are imposed upon it's citizens... D or R, is there any reason to be hitting a pothole? Is there any reason for anybody who needs it to be w/o HealthCare already? 20 BILLION per State... It would take you years to burn that much money in your wood stove if it was in singles... Can you say CORRUPTION?

“Every bill that is passed, every project that is funded and every job that is created helps America take another step forward on the road of economic recovery,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, said after the vote.

Republicans decried what they called out-of-control spending and pointed to an estimated $3.9 billion in the bill for more than 5,000 local projects sought by lawmakers from both parties.

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, said it was “shameful” that so many such projects had found their way into the legislation.

Thanks for creating a job for me Harry and thanks for watching out for that 3.9 billion while you left 1.1 TRILLION unaccounted for, to be appropriated by the States John... Absolutley no corruption here, maybe I'm wrong? Both sides really are representing our very best interests...
  15. machiasmort

I'm not sure I quite understand what your saying, but if it's along the lines of them viewing us as a simple commodity, your correct... When we as individuals work, we add to the GDP (Gross Domestic Product), the overall wealth of the Nation... We need to shut this whole Country down for about a month... Everbody who provides service or creates product... We'd see how fair the interest rates and tax rates would become and real quick!:grin5:
  16. give me vtec

exactly correct... we as a people have become a branded commodity ready for consumption at open market. Education is your only defense unless you are old enough to know who trotsky is.
  17. machiasmort

Do the math and it breaks down to $3,600.00 per person for health, education, law enforcement and veterans’ programs. 1.1 trillion, counting everbody including the retired and babies...

My problem is that some people hit the lottery(get more then their fair share), and others, like me, get SQUAT, with exception of the ticket from the EXTRA COP!

Some people choose to sit home(not work) and have babies, Health Care, heat,food, rent, an all inclusive vaction for life, while they make our miserable!!!

Some things have to change in this Country!
  18. 210061741

210061741 Guest

For real.
    I would live better in PA if i didn't work.
    And i have one of the few really good jobs in my area.
    And they call it a Commonwealth.
    The only common thing i see are wealthy politicians and struggling citizens.
  19. machiasmort

PA ain't nearly as corrupt as NY Brother! You'd rip your hair out here!

Not trying to throw the thread, I've just been getting real strong uneasy feelings lately, like something real bad is on the horizon??? I know that I'm powerless in whatever it is but man... I've been havin trouble sleepin and when I do it's stress and anxiety dreams... All out nightmares. I've only gotten 5 hrs. in the past 4 days... Anybody elese?
  20. 210061741

210061741 Guest

I really don't think things are going very well.
    Thats why i love my MB....
    Keeps my mind occupied.
    When it's not uh life isn't as fun.