The saga of the mushroom lifters...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, Sep 2, 2008.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

He sat there with a puzzled look on his face as if someone had asked him to explain Michael Jackson. Why isn't this darned bike running?
    In the preceding hour, "Red" (name changed to protect the idio...I mean innocent) had swapped out the original lifters in my Whizzer NE5 engine for a new set of mushroom lifters. He installed the new lifters, put the cam back in, advancing it one tooth (as per factory specs) and set the valve clearance. Yet we couldn't get this bike to start.
    We checked the carburetor, made sure the gaskets and o-rings were back in the original order and even fitted a new plug. Yet it still wouldn't start. Coasting down my driveway, the best I was able to get was a loud backfire that nearly sent my severely gun shy Springer Spaniel out the back door - which was not open.
    It seemed as though the exhaust valve was open when it shouldn't have been. Did we get the compression release screwed up when we reassembled things, and was it holding the exhaust valve open? Subsequent examination showed that wasn't the case.
    So "Red" sat there, with that puzzled look on his face, thinking that the last thing to check is the cam. So I tilt the bike to port at a 45 degree angle to keep the fresh 8 ounces of oil from depositing itself on the road, Red's shoes, or whatever. Despite only holding eight ounces of oil, on my steep driveway that small amount takes on the characteristsics of the Exxon Valdez oil spill if allowed its freedom.
    Off comes the sideplate to reveal that the cam was not one tooth advanced as originally thought. It seems that "Red" inadvertantly lined up the dot on the cam with the scribed line on the crankshaft. His thumb had neatly covered the dot on the crankshaft that he should have used as a reference. As a result, my timing was about 180 degrees out of phase. I have news for you folks, no matter how hard you try, you cannot get a bike running with the timing being that far off. I know, I must have lost about four pounds pedalling it around in the heat and round 200% humidity just trying to get it started. So I said to Red, "If advancing it one tooth is good, six teeth must be great, huh?" (In reality it was more likely around eleven teeth off.) Once the timing was set correctly and the valves checked again, the engine lit off the first try.
    The moral of the story: More is not necessarily better. :lol:

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I installed the distributer in my Jimmy 180 out once....convinced I never could have done that, I twisted the distributer until it ran....but it pinged like a mother at anything approaching normal acceleration. The next moring, I took it out and tried the last ditch effort....reinstalled 180 degrees from where it was- guess what....you know the story. I timed it by ear and it ran perfectly for another year until I sold it with 188,000 miles on the clock.

3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I had something similar to that happen to me once, when quite some time ago I was rushing to change my distributor cap and plug wires on my '78 Honda Accord and got the cap turned 90 degrees. I was rushing to get it done in order to go fishing. Needless to say, fishing was delayed.