The Schwinn Lazy-Ray

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by necessaryevil, Jun 19, 2008.

1. necessaryevil

necessaryevil New Member

This is my first build, very simple, but very fun. Just a cheapo Sting-Ray with an 80cc kit on it, minimal engineering, just a lot of mock ups. I wanted a funny name so hence The Lazy-Ray! (I get tired of peddling heavy cruisers sometimes) It's completely impracticle, super squirrely, and loads o' fun.:grin:

Attached Files:

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I love it- reminds me of my youth. Those bikes were the "in" thing when I was really young...just before the BMX craze...where style went out the window.
  3. starkm32

starkm32 Member

You could make it more stable by lowering the CG, I bet.:grin:

NOT as much fun, tho.:???:
  4. crabdance

crabdance Member

Great looking bike! I love the style too. When I was a kid that was the best you could get. There was nothing else better. Hope you have many miles of riding fun!
  5. CJH

CJH Member

That looks great! It looks like that tank and motor were made for that bike.
  6. necessaryevil

necessaryevil New Member

Thanks for the nod of approval guys. After browsing the site I may look into one of those "boost bottles" and call it done. I probably should put a 20 incher up front for stability, but it just kills the look.
  7. eljefino

eljefino Member

Looks good but how many teeth has your rear sprocket? Usually the sprockets are intended for 26-27" tires so it loooks like you have a heck of a stump puller there.

And I agree, love the way everything fits together.
  8. necessaryevil

necessaryevil New Member

Yes it's just the rear sprocket that came with the kit. It has a lot of low end and wheelie power, but tops out at around 30mph. I'm thinking of buying or making a larger sprocket, 40mph or bust!!!
  9. You mean smaller sprocket!
    I love your bike. Is that the Wal Mart bike?
    I should have nabbed one when they had 8 of them at 65 dollars Christmas sale.
  10. 4doora

4doora Guest

11. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Your bike makes the engine look HUGE! Love the sting rays and crates.
  12. CJH

CJH Member

Oh, I forgot to ask. Where did you get the decals or stickers from?
  13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

That is one sweet looking ride. That's what the MotoredBikes community is all about, imagination and creativity. I wouldn't have believed an engine that size could have been stuffed into that small of a frame if I hadn't seen the pics. Great job!
  14. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

It looks hella fun!!

My bike was both, way back when. Stingray frame with all nice BMX parts. I did'nt like the light frames of the time. Red, yellow and blue color scheme! It was sooooo ugly......... it looked good!
  15. necessaryevil

necessaryevil New Member

Thanks for all of the compliments, the stickers I drew up on the computer and had the local sign shop make vinyl stickers. Yeah, I meant SMALLER sprocket for the back, my mistake. I think my next build will be a more practicle 26 inch cruiser, this one's just for wheelie poppin fun.
  16. meatball758

meatball758 Member

I have the same as my first build..Im goind to build a Moondog next for stability..I see you changed the front sprocket to clear the motor..I cut my frame... i bought 2 of these bikes so would like to know where to get that sproket....If you go to my myspace page you can view my video there of my bike...go to my profile and click on the link....Thanks...Kim

P.S. it is a vert squirly ride...
  17. CalgarysFool

CalgarysFool Member

I'd a thought you were too young to remember the pre-bmx era in cycling!

Everyone had mostly single speed bikes, when I was in grade school, and so called "banana bikes" were the "in" thing. Then came the bmxers, the multi sprocket jobs, and the "ten speed".

Regarding the 10-speed, surely there was never a bike more ill-suited to the popularity it found as a general all-round/all-purpose bike. Was it just my home town, or can anyone else recall seeing guys who inverted their racing style handle bars, so they could ride in an upright position?!

Oh the memories...

18. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Beautiful job. Great work. I miss my old Montgomery Wards red banana bike with the tall fiberglass pole and orange flag.
  19. looks pretty sweet!

Are there any brakes though?! all i see is the clutch lever and thats it :p stopping not a concern?
  20. I remember that, I was young but it really bugged me.

I can still remember seeing long haired guys in cut off jean shorts, three lined tube socks (pulled way up), converse all star shoes, t-shirt with a pack of smokes rolled up in one sleave, with a big chain wallet, mirrored sun glasses and a huge leather watch band pedeling that style bike down the street with the handle bars turned up.

Ah the '70s.