The Sound Of Music

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scottm, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I never noticed antique bikes in movies before I joined MBc. If this needs to be moved to vintage area let me know.
    Last night kids and I watched The Sound of Music. Probably my 20th time to see it in my 38 years and I never paid attention to the bikes before. I looked for stills but couldn't find any.
    There is a scene where Maria is leading the kids on a bike rid through the park and everyone is singing. This time i looked at nothing but the bikes. They had one brake handle on the right side which was connected to a series of chrome rods linked down the front forks to the front wheel. I've read about them here on Mbc.
    It was amazing to watch those kids manipulate the brakes in a choreographed bicycle dance. Speeding up and slowing down. Still don't know what kind of bikes they were.
    Thanks to MBc for turning me on and teaching me cool stuff about antique bikes.

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

My brother has a 27 inch bike with "rod brakes" like you described. His is a Raleigh.

Jim

3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Nice try Scott...i've successfually managed to avoid The Sound Of Music for 43 years and no-matter how much tempting i ain't gonna start now. :smile:

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I recall seeing a bike like that in "Band of Brothers" where an older British gent's path kept getting blocked by the troops practicing an ambush.

5. Man,I've been looking for that in you tube and everywhere and can't find it. This means that I'm gonna have to watch it all THANKS SCOTT! But Julie looked real cute back then....