The ULTIMATE chain guard....

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sparky, Nov 19, 2011.

1. sparky

sparky Active Member

Where can I get one of THESE????

Without having to by this bike, of course...

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Isn't that a plastic wiring grommet?:detective:
  3. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Chain guard

Looks like it. I was gonna tell him the same thing but my computer F'd up and ya beat me to it. You can buy it at most auto parts stores. Looks like a good idea, I'm gonna try it.
    Big Red.
  4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

It's known as convoluted tubing, used to cover wiring under the hoods of cars.
    You can buy it at any auto parts store, and it's cheap.
  5. sparky

sparky Active Member

I *knew* it looked familiar!!

I'll let somebody else figure out the best width... but I'll definitely have to keep this in mind for the future.
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

You can also try the hard plastic wire guards. When we ran aerial phone wiring thru trees, we inserted the wire thru these guards for abrasive protection.
  7. Mozenrath

Mozenrath New Member

Honestly, is a chain guard really necessary? I've never used one and I just keep my chain well-oiled.
  8. sparky

sparky Active Member

Because it's well oiled, I can't wear pants without THEM getting well oiled as well.

That's the purpose of the chain guard. For the pants. Otherwise you gotta use a rubber band, or tuck one leg into your sock. NOT COOL!!

EDIT: even if the chain pops off, with such a chain guard, you won't get any grease on your fingers, or won't need to carry a napkin.. particularly with a setup that requires lining up TWO chains!!
  9. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Chain Guard

I almost always wear black jeans so a chain guard is not really a must have thing for me. I do think a chain guard trims out the bike and just makes it look better. In some cases where a real chain guard is not working out or not looking right or whatever, I think the tubing thing is a GREAT idea.
    Big Red.