The Ultimate Concept - Balanced CVT Rackmount

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
Your bike is nice, but this "ultimate concept" uses a CVT, a real transmission, like a snowmobile or moped with the weight of the engine and tranny balanced over the rear wheel.

I have zero issues with balance. The 20" wheels & generally low frame help with that, too, I'm sure. But balance is not a concern whatsoever for the weakest of females.

The extra weight and cost of the CVT seems unattractive if you don't have it geared for a faster top speed. If you want to accelerate faster, then use the pedals. :)

Looks good Mike! I think above all you'll really like that engine. Curious if you did did any of the preemptive component upgrades, bearings etc. on the CVT we discussed?

Ya know, 'ultimate' usually means end of the line but there is another level........run the power from the CVT through the rear cassette cluster, lol :devilish: devilish gear ratios.

Attachments

• robincvt1.jpg
    robincvt1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
To Sparky: For a folding bike with 20 inch wheels, your setup is probably fine, if you don't mind a pedal start, but for bigger bikes and higher top speed, a cvt is the ultimate, especially with a 54T rear sprocket and a 26 inch wheel. It's all in how you gear it. The CVT I used is really light, and probably would add no more than 2-3 lbs to your present gearbox, and the bike would be better balanced. I have not made any changes to the CVT. It seems to perform fine as stock. I noticed that several who made changes, were not satisfied, and went back to the stock setup. I really like the acceleration from a stand-still with a cvt. It's neat. I would not have interest in running the power through a rear cassette - too complicated. I like the automatic motorscooter setup. Totally automatic.

Last edited:
Forgot to ask...

Where'd you get those shims, that go on the inside of the inner sprocket??

Or maybe that was TREEWK's album I'd seen? Same difference... :)

I design my own racks. It can't be bought. It's an engineering challenge, to make
it strong enough and light enough for this application.

Back