The Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KCvale, Jun 16, 2015.

1. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Well, after an awesome Winter and Spring here in Phoenix Arizona, Summer has arrived with a vengeance.

This is what my next 10 days (and beyond) look like.

But hey, it's a Dry Heat... Kind of like a blast furnace on a motorized bike.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

That is about the only part of living in Arizona that I don't miss, KC.
  3. KCvale

What get's me is the 85F morning lows.

We have to keep the house closed up all the time now as the AC is always on.
    The water heater on the other hand can take the summer off.
  4. Slogger

Slogger Member

I know that boiled crab feeling. I was stationed at Luke AFB from 80 to 82. I rode my Norton back and forth to work. In the summer, oh lawdy lawd.
    It rained real hard one time, flooded the arroyos, washed away the office trailer at my favorite junk yard, and 3 hours later you couldn't tell it had rained at all.
    I loved having that barbecue New Years Eve, though.
    Great place for motorcycles about 2/3 of the year! It's a dry heat!
  5. KCvale

I was in my early 20's then and though I never served, I have friends that did.

Luke is still a hoping place these days, besides most of the f-16 training they have the new F-35's, man what a machine.
    No matter how High Tech it is the darn thing is going to be a pre-heated toaster oven when you get in it.

I should have taken a picture of me taking the 'dog's car' up to Circle K yesterday as I didn't feel like riding an MB, I wore oven mitts just to touch any part of the car that was in the sun hehehe ;-}

Yesterday tied the 115F record for the day.
    That is actual real degrees, not 'feels like' numbers other parts of the country TV news use to make it sound hotter, that always cracks me up.

Real heat is non-stop oppressive until you adapt to it, after that I'll take this 3 months of wearing oven mitts and continuous AC over shoveling snow in the winter, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes and massive flooding every day of the year.
  6. Slogger

Slogger Member

The F-4 Phantoms were there when I was a Weapons Control Systems mech. The F-16's showed up all new and shiny, compared to our F-4s they looked like toys, we joked they must have been made by Mattel. The F-4s were dark olive and brown, you could leave meat on them touching them bare handed in summer, alright.
    The pilots would sometimes show off by descending from 34,000 to land right over the base, in a series of fast swooping dives.
    You come up to one of those and your skin would stick to the skin from the COLD. It's 60 below zero way up there.
    I enjoyed Phoenix in those days, the desert had so many cool back roads to play race on and it almost never rained. Heck, we got excited over a partly cloudy day.
  7. KCvale

hehehe, ya Slogger, back in those days the desert was our playground for motorized fun things and of course desert keg parties, they (the media) still talk about how life was here back in the 80's, we enjoyed the desert more than any tree thumping environmental nut complaining about how we were 'destroying the natural beauty'.

Pffttt, that 'natural beauty' is covered with development now but I sure enjoyed it before it went away.

Granted I feel kinda bad for some the local mountains I scared with my motorcycle and 4x4 trails up their sides, but then again at look at them when I pass by and say 'Yep, I concurred that one right there' as many other others followed to the point the 'powers that be' said 'enough fun' I guess.

All I can say is was damn cool to grow up in the wild west ;-}
  8. Slogger

Slogger Member

damn cool indeed.. I luv it out there.
    In the late 70's (stationed at Hill AFB Utah) I had an old Int'l Scout. My boys were little and we would go out in the desert there on these 2 rut trails. You could leave the truck in low range, second gear and pull the hand throttle out a bit, and the truck would go about 2 miles an hour all by itself. The boys and I would ride on the tailgate eating sammiches and shooting my Rugers at cans and rocks. Well, I did most the shootin. The ruts kept us on course.
    I really liked living out west, if my ex-wife hadn't made me come back here I'd be a permanent westerner for sure.
    We just got through two weeks of soaking rain and jungle humidity here. Wood fence rotting, my old truck rusting out, this place is not my first pick on where to live.
    NOhio- Bah!
  9. 2old2learn

2old2learn Member

Ohio is a pretty state.. It reminds me of Arkansas. Its been a wet spring down here this year too. Normally I'd be picking wild blackberries everyday this time of the year but their are hardly any ripe yet.. I'll bet I'll still be picking them in July. Can't remember when I last did that. Canoeing has been good though. A man has to embrace enough hobbies so he won't feel the need to work all the time!
  10. KCvale

I like to occasionally visit snow but I can't live in it.

My wife was offered a big promotion with General Mills not long ago but it involved moving to MiniSoColdA, she likes the cold so it was a fight, well sorta...

I watch local TV news every morning and get the morning paper 4 times a week. As we sat in the living room in the winter with the widows open watching most of country literally buried in snow we agreed that maybe the four months of heat here is worth not having to deal with all crap most of the rest of our country gets.

Then again we have been setting all time high temps this week and it wears on ya, 90 in the morning and 115 in the evening takes a toll too.
  11. KCvale

Well, the Monsoon season is here.
    The other side of the valley have had a couple Haboob's.

We love the word Haboob here and use it even for the slightest of dust storms, but we do get some beauties this time of year from the South (between Phoenix and Tucson), a huge wall of dust followed by thunder storms and rain.

The dust usually peters out by the time it crosses the valley but it can be a pretty impressive thing to see.

It's nice to live near the desert and mountains on the North end of town, not so much fun at the South or East ends though.