There should be a newbie test???

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by AussieSteve, Nov 30, 2009.

1. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

I've spent a couple of months reading literally hundreds of posts here and am amazed by (some of) the questions and the total lack of knwledge of mechanics and two-stroke engines, even simple things like leaving a couple of mm slack in clutch and throttle cables, correct terms for parts, what the choke does, etc. etc. etc.
    Perhaps newbies, (I'm one), should have to read some sections of the site and pass a (simple) test before being allowed to post.
    It would avoid a lot of silly questions and repetition and improve the site no end.
    (There have been a couple of questions that I wouldn't have needed to ask, I must admit.)

(Do I need a flak jacket for replies?)

... Steve

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009

2. spunout

spunout Member

a major purpose of this and other MB sites, is to help. especially those of whom have absolutely no working mechanical knowledge.
    i remember years ago, posting some (now seemingly) ridiculous questions. if i were forced to take some type of aptitude test beforehand and fail, i'd never gotten the help i needed from this site.
    yeah, i think that idea is like a stinky in the wind
    HOWEVER: people with all-too-simple problems should run a search first, before posting. i understand thats been stressed to death, but it still happens

3. augidog

augidog Banned

LOL! repeat-topics and silly questions are the bane of EVERY forum...we have done our best to help avoid that here, but at the cost of popularity...we're "too mean" to newbies already, awww, hehe...if a new member had to pass a test, we'd hardly ever get new members past it & onto the boards.

if anything, imo, newbies should have to at least learn how to use a forum before they jump in...while it's fun to greet and teach a mechanical-novice, it's no fun cleaning up behind a forum-novice.

not that it really matters in the long run, what we do here works...lots of folks join to say "i read everything and had a successful build without a single post, thanks MBc!"

just reply to repeat questions with "read read read" (you meanie ;))...and if you're feeling helpful, link them to the existing answer instead of posting it yet again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Some ppl should simply be reminded(some more untactfually than others) that there is a working Search feature here & a thing called Google.
    I'm also sure some ppl ask questions that they already know the answer to(or have a very good idea)......those kinda time-waisters bug me.
    Valid suggestion though AussieSteve,keep thinking.

5. AussieSteve

quote=spunout;247311]yeah, i think that idea is like a stinky in the wind[/quote]
    A valid opinion.
    I'm not suggesting a 2-hour written exam or anything, but in the same way that we're required to post first in 'Introduce Yourself', newbies could be asked to read a section on basic part names and very simple 2-stroke theory. Trouble is, without a test, no one would read it.
    ... Steve

6. Tom

Tom Active Member

The test is a fun idea, but I think that as long as you aren't a spammer, you should be allowed to join and discuss.

7. AussieSteve

Hello Tom, it was a suggestion, but not a very serious one. ie I'm not complaining that there isn't such a thing.

Actually, I reckon that overall things are pretty good the way they are - I've learned a lot about these horrible little engines in a very short time here.

And keep up the good work. (Thanks for the stickers, too.)

... Steve

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely AussieSteve.

In fact i'll go a step further and make the requirements to get on the site somewhat more testing.
    You should be required to pass an online exam in mathematics, english; grammar and spelling skills with at least an 80% pass mark.

If you spell definitely as defanatly or carburettor as carborator, there should be an automatic disqualification period of 3 months, giving you time to practice your english and spelling skills with SimpleSimon.

Fabian

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

oops, i've gone a step too far

Now i'll be required to practice my grammar skills with SimpleSimon!

I've never understood the difference between common adjectives, attributive adjectives, demonstrative adjectives, possessive adjectives, predicative adjectives, proper adjectives and resultative adjectives.

Crikey, i hope SimpleSimon goes easy on me :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. AussieSteve

Ha ha - they'll hang us.
    ... Steve

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I may very well get tasered over my previous post :)

12. Tom

Tom Active Member

Ideally, newbies would be able to pass an exam to prove they can navigate the site correctly, use proper grammar and spelling, search before posting, post in the correct forum, follow all the rules and understand basic logic. Unfortunately, that would weed out pretty much everyone. Even the established members who could now pass the test with flying colors might not have been able to when they were a newbie on the site.

I guess we have to give everyone a chance... :(

13. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Thanks for keeping us safe from that kind of nonsense here!

14. professor

professor Active Member

One other thing.
    Seemingly stupid questions that receive a pleasant answer gives a favorable view of us to those asking them. That is one of the things I noticed on viewing some posts here.

15. augidog

augidog Banned

but where do you draw the line on "stoopid" and "pleasant" ?

off-topic, gratuitous repeat topics...sometimes it's clear the noob doesn't want to to do any more work for themselves than they have to...is pleasant really helping them? or the forum? does it help anyone when old-timers cater to off-topic or "stoopid" ?

i think "no"...it just messes up the place more, the group has to take responsibility for cleanliness of info and other content as a group. this isn't a chat or blog or facebook...this is a forum with specific goals, forums work in specific ways, and they work great when used properly. and they degrade fairly quickly when noobs & olds both ignore personal responsibility for the place.

like i said: if anything, we should be responding with "read read read" or post links to the proper area & info.

16. AussieSteve

And "search search search"

I'm in the midst of writing a carb tuning and diagnosis article with pics and links. I'd like to think that it'll help, but in the end it will probably be lost in the bog too.

... Steve

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

most of the new ones to site seem to do just fine
    and there seem to be plenty here who think their job is to
    keep them in line

in extrem cases the moderators -- step in just fine
    found quilty myself a couple of times

ride that thing

18. augidog

augidog Banned

again: where to draw the line?

lemme ask you
    as a real parent

is it best to ignore

and perhaps foster

poor social & communication skills?

used to be, properly guiding the young/new, and "keeping them in line" when called for,

was a "job" that belonged to the whole tribe...

and it was a good THING.

45mph 14yo's, imo...is NOT a good thing for anyone MB-involved. can't spell "fuel" or follow simple rules, doesn't know what a spoke or sprocket-tooth is. obviously has NO idea about the dangers of what he wants to do. red-flags that make any concerned adult take notice...maybe not "stoopid" but surely clueless, and in need...as a real parent, i'd think you'd be a bit more preachy about common-sense & safety.

not personal, but thank you for opening the door...these kids don't need more best-friends-forever...

they need some adults who give a poop about what they're up to and the risks they're taking. a properly (and firmly) operated forum is a good way to reach them, AND teach them.

y'all who encourage underage riding:
    how about use some adult smarts and start advocating organized off-road racing?
    think of all the parent/child projects that could result from that.
    oh well, just another good idea that's too much trouble & work, eh?

no, i don't personally think we should have a "test", just as i mentioned in my first reply. i'm just discussing some things related to why this is an issue. yup, the large majority mix in quite well without a ripple.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  19. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

safty regarding the young ones -- back doggie one

safty regarding the young ones -- back doggie one

just to inform you
    when it comes to safty for the young ones
    I have done and know much more than you could even in your dreams
    was in charge of playground safty for the City of San Diego
    much of my life was spent protecting little ones
    from broken or just plain unsafe equipment

as far as the TRIBE helping to raise kids
    sounds like more of an Indian way
    I take responsibility for the raising of my own

the Mountain Lady is a teacher -- many years now -- many grades plus kindergarten
    we probably have a little more experience here than some out there ???

ride that motor bike THING

20. augidog

augidog Banned

repeating that i disagree with a test, i didn't pen the subject header

see, it's not necessary to tell me about your real world, and the things i couldn't possibly know, or "dream" about...an overreaction, we are all guilty. i get the impression you are a really nice real-life person, if that matters.

but all i can "know" is what i see, and tho i usually overreact also, and oft' regret it, my message is always sincere...

we aren't making much sense when we lament the (overall) plight of
    the young in one topic, then toss concern aside in another.

who's ultimately responsible? well, i think ALL of us are...i believe it's time to stop passing the buck as a way of life.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009