Think I'll Need This Forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Connorthecarguy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Connorthecarguy

Connorthecarguy New Member

Well,just finished day 1 of motorizing my bicycle that I call Frankenstein. If today was any indication of how the rest of this adventure will go,I need all the help I can get. I've never built a motorized bike before and I bought the cheapest 50cc 2-stroke kit I could find on eBay (great idea,I know.) I got everything assembled today,so tomorrow will be adjustments and fluids. I'm looking forward to getting to play around with this thing and make upgrades to it.

2. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

Careful...It becomes addictive. :confused:

3. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Daily maintenance.

4. Connorthecarguy

Got it up and running,already eyeing stuff to buy for it. IMG_20160416_212550362.jpg

5. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Looks good! I like the banana style seat, the shock absorbing front fork and the motorcycle style headlight!

6. Connorthecarguy

Thankyou,its on a 1973 Schwinn varsity frame,90's NEXT mountain bike fork and wheels,70's BMX seat,70's no name handlebars and sissy bar,John Deere tractor headlight,trailer taillight,automotive air horn,and a bunch of misc. accessories.

7. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

If you are more than fine with the torque of the engine and want a higher cruise/top speed then I would get a speed sprocket (38T<). It would give you considerably more speed and lower the rpms for X speed. they are 10-15 on ebay. I would also buy extra nuts and double nut the chain tensioner, muffler, and mount bolts. also, fashion or buy a nice muffler holder to reduce the strain on the bolts. have fun and stay safe

8. Hello Moto!

That's pretty cool man!

9. Connorthecarguy

Torque is not the best,and the top speed is somewhere around 20mph.I've already come to dislike the tensioner that came with it,the kit came with a piece of metal that I now assume to be the muffler holder. The one thing that I don't like the quality of is the hardware,very soft.

10. Hello Moto!

Yeah the hardware is pretty cheap but can be replaced with better quality. Here's a link to an awesome chain tensioner. I have this on my bike and love it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...hash=item2a3020ccd1:m:m-b3lt30KT8w_ql7lB4QDvw

This thing is invaluable to me!

I don't use the little muffler bracket. Some people say you should try to brace your muffler but I don't and have never had a problem of it workin itself loose.

11. Connorthecarguy

That is very cool,adding that to my "to buy" list. I won't worry about the muffler brace then,with the angle the frame is at,it'd be a pain to fit anyway.

12. 45u

45u Active Member

Welcome good to see you here.

The main think is making sure the chain and sprockets are aliened and the sprocket is lined up and down as well as sideways. I have a cheap 80cc kit I got off eBay and put a gallon throw it in less then a week. I am getting ready to go to the hospitial so it will be weeks or months before I drive her again.

Here is my first build and starting on my second build.

[​IMG]

13. Connorthecarguy

Cool,I really like the black and chrome. I've recently come to the realization that many bike parts aren't designed for sustained speeds of 20+ mph,and stopping from said speed. Like break pads,and cheap speedometer heads.

14. Connorthecarguy

Cheap Chinese POS chain! Master link came undone while riding,fixed it without master link,then THAT came apart and jammed in the back wheel! Hope it didn't break the wheel. I would have checked, but I needed to walk away for a bit. This is all after the fuel shutoff leaked what little gas was in the tank onto the floor.

15. lagrohs

lagrohs New Member

16. lagrohs

lagrohs New Member

45u, this chain and sprocket issue is exactly why I joined this group. I inherited my deceased brothers 69.5cc engine on a Huffy. The engine chain was missing, so we picked up 2 short chains (1/2" x 3/16" they had ordered in error), we tried to thread it through the front smaller sprocket(?), it laid on the teeth of the large rear sprocket just fine, but would not cooperate on the smaller front one, we have ordered a masterlink, but while we are waiting we thought we'd feed the chain and cut it to size.
    Is there a specific size chain we should look for, or an issue with the Chinese engine? I appreciate anything you can share. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  17. Connorthecarguy

The sprocket was aligned,but as it turned out,the chain hit the frame in one spot,I guess that is what popped the clip off the master link. My no master link repair apparently came loose because I had worked the link too many times with a cheap chain tool trying to put it together. The result of all of this is a shiny new motorcycle chain tool and a ruined rear wheel. Anybody in Chattanooga have a cheap 24" mountain bike wheel?

18. Connorthecarguy

A cheap craigslist mountain bike has solved my wheel problems. The new wheel actually fits better,because now the chain clears the frame no problem.

Timbone likes this.
  19. Connorthecarguy

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread for this project,or continue to use this one.

20. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

I say just continue this one.