think you're safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NunyaBidness, Jul 30, 2008.

1. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

This thing is all over the net. Was cop wrong? Yes! He did not need to shove the guy to the curb. Was biker wrong? Lock the brakes if you are veering into a cop. Idiot!

The only unusual thing here like most Critical Mass events in other cities, it doesn't look like any bikers assaulted motorists. Pretty sure that's why the cops are there in the first place. Cops have a job to do. Cut them a wide berth....and find some stories in Seattle and Portland where the bikers attacked innocent motorists. Doubt you'll see the videos though.
  3. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Its things like this that make me lose faith in our law enforcement officials. Too much arbitrary use or abuse of power.

I'm glad we have cell phone cams and video capture.
  4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

5. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

while I somewhat agree with you about Critical Mass in general, as a nation, we have the right to peacefully protest. key word, peacefully. What this cop did is considered assault. I have yet to see anything saying that the biker had done something earlier and deserved to be stopped. I have seen that the cop lied in his arrest report.

That is what most concerns me, the abuse of power.
  6. seabillco

seabillco Member

Hi, all
    FWIW, I agree with NunyaBidness.
    Unless there's a lot more to the story than what appears in the video, the cop was WAY out of line. Critical Mass is annoying to me but that doesn't mean you can use force to express your discontent.
    Unless there was some very good reason the cop needed to stop and apprehend the bicyclist (which I have not heard yet), then simply lashing out as the cop did is completely inappropriate and, as a legal matter, criminal and civil battery.
    As a lawyer and a citizen, I have seen a sadly common unpleasant personality type that often desires to become a cop. While there are many fine law enforcement professionals, there are also some who want the power that comes with the badge and the gun.
    Also, the job entails dealing with some of the worst our society has to offer. It's, for the most part, a thankless job that few people in their right minds would aspire to.
    Despite these difficulties, once you accept the job and the power (and the pay and benefits, etc.), you can't abuse the power. If you do, you should be held accountable, just like everyone else.
    It will be interesting to follow this case to see how it comes out.
    Again, unless there's a whole lot more to the cop's version of events, he screwed up - Big Time!

Steve G.
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Never said that the cop was justified in his actions. Obviously, he should be reprimanded or possibly even lose his job since he is a rookie.

However, this group is a bunch of numbskulls. It is tough enough to get around in the city and I certainly don't need a gang of militant bicyclists purposely disrupting traffic to make matters worse. (and assaulting motorists too!) Their protests may backfire if cities decide that it should be illegal for bicycles to "split lanes" in stopped city traffic for safety reasons. This is probably why they are getting squashed by cars to begin with. I go into NYC frequently, and these bicyclists have a death wish weaving in and out of traffic and blowing through red lights without even slowing down.
  8. seabillco

seabillco Member

Hi, arceeguy
    I agree that the militant demonstrators, in general, are a 'bunch of numbskulls' and I do not agree with this kind of demonstration.
    It looks to me as if these folks want to impose their personal views on the world and punish anyone who doesn't agree with them. It seems VERY immature to me, as all these kinds of disruptive demonstrations seem to me.
    I don't think this kind of demonstration is effective if it is intended to educate the public to your views. I suspect it is more of an effort to get attention and 'act out' as a 2 year old might do. I put them on the same level.
    So, I wish they would knock it off. You can't change minds with force.
    And, of course, that goes for the cop, too!

Steve G.
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  9. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Absolutely! Abuse of power should be dealt with strongly. The cops have a very tough job to do, and for the most part, they do an admirable job. But you'll always find a bad apple in the bunch that needs to be dealt with. Same goes for groups like critical mass. I'm sure it started out as a way to try and educate drivers about bicyclists and to be aware of them - but then the numbskulls took over and they started to "cork" traffic and assault motorists. Since the few bad apples weren't "dealt with" (removed) from the group, the whole movement went downhill. These guys are not looked at very fondly by New Yorkers that's for sure!

That's one of the reasons why the motored bicycling community needs to adhere to a strict code of conduct when on public roads. (more or less, just use common sense, no rule book needed!)
  10. seabillco

seabillco Member

Be cool!

Hi, arceeguy
    You really nailed it there!
    I have been keeping a very low profile. As far as I'm concerned, we don't want or need attention. If MB works for someone, they'll figure it out and it won't help those of us who have already found MB to make a lot of noise about it. In fact, it'll probably hurt.
    Abuse of power is scary to me, arceeguy, and that's mainly why I chimed in with my pathetic offering.
    Mike Nifong was the PA in NC who went after the Duke La Crosse players apparently in order to get re-elected even though he apparently knew the accusations were false. That is a tremendous abuse of power and, not only ruins the lives of the falsely accused, but also destroys public confidence in the system. Without that, we have anarchy and losers like Nifong deserve the worst possible punishment as an example to others who might be tempted to abuse power. People like Nifong do far more damage than the woman who apparently made the false accusations. She's not trusted to be honest; Nifong is.
    If you have to worry about the immature demonstrators at Critical Mass or a rogue cop, I'd be a lot more worried about the cop.
    But, those lame-O's from Critical Mass need to pull their collective heads out ASAP!!! It's SO ANNOYING to get caught in one of those demonstrations when you're on a schedule and have a life.

Oh well...
    Just my soap box for today!
    Steve G.
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  11. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Member

I know how it is. Unfortunately I made some bad choices when I was younger. Thankfully my Lord is very forgiving. Based on things I have learned over the last 4-6 years, it is only going to get worse, much worse. I will continue to keep a low profile, while it gets as bad as it's going to get, and then one day, it will all be over for good.
    That is the day I am looking forward to.
  12. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Oh geez Steve, the whole Nifong/Duke LaCrosse debacle is a perfect example of the abuse of power - great example! Luckily, the system did (eventually) work, but I think that Nifong should have gotten years of jail time and not 24 hours. It is a pity that the taxpayers of the city will be footing the bill (millions) for the civil suits caused by their former DA. Duke University didn't do themselves any favors by convicting their own before all the facts were known. When I am out on my motorcycle, or just driving my car - I think "stealth" - I am a ninja and I will stay below the radar. Hoooowaaaahhhhhh! LOL!

When I finally get my homemade motored bike on the road, I'll probably ride it slower than the Lance wannabees so I do not attract any attention. (even though this thing will have a CVT and probably be capable of 35 mph)
  13. seabillco

seabillco Member

Right on, arceeguy!
    If I ran the world, Nifong would be one sorry Jose right now!
    I'm with you on the Ninja idea... That's my way, too. I also ride a street motorcycle and I keep a very low profile. Experience has taught me well!
    Someone on this forum from Illinois, I think, has actually disguised his friction drive MB system within/under a back pack type bag so you can't see it at all. He had pictures of it and it was brilliant. Sadly, I can't remember who it was. If I find it, I'll send it to you in case you have not yet seen it.
    He really has the right idea as far I'm concerned. I saw 2 more cops today while riding and I just started pedaling and they ignored me. I've been riding about 4 weeks now, almost daily, and I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood!)
    As for a CVT... well, what can I say? I'm not sure but that sounds like a Constant Velocity Transmission, right? If that's right, then I'm eager to see that baby! Wow, that sounds cool. I can only imagine. There's some very clever people in this world!
    FWIW, riding and building these MBs is the most fun I've had in a long time.
    And, this is a great forum.

Steve G.
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  14. BeachBum

BeachBum New Member

Link is having issues for me. But if it is the story about the cop who basically tackled the guy off of his bike then yes, he did get fired.
  15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I used to occasionally ride with Critical Mass when I lived in the lower 48. I gave it up because I didn't feel they were militant enough.
  16. seabillco

seabillco Member

Hey, Alaskavan!
    Pretty funny post.
    If you used to ride with Critical Mass and didn't get enough militant 'action' from it, you must feel pretty bored and isolated up in Haines, Alaska (pop. 1800). What pulled you all the way up to Alaska?
    I see your signature includes a definition of 'terrorism' attributed to Edward Abbey. I've never seen that exact statement by Abbey but it sounds like something he might have said or written. He was an astute guy, kinda like George Carlin.
    Your signature quotes Edward Abbey who allegedly opined that terrorism is usually conducted by government against its own people.
    While I understand the sentiment, I have to point out the following to people on a daily basis:

The 'government' is made up of PEOPLE. "Government" is a CONCEPT. It doesn't exist in the real world. It's PEOPLE who do the violence.
    So, the quotation attributed to Abbey is somewhat misleading since it tries to focus the reader's attention on 'government' as the problem rather than the real problem: people. ANY person or group of people can conduct violence.
    It should be: "Terrorism: deadly violence against humans and other living things, ALWAYS conducted by people against other people." The oldest story in the world...
    So, terrorist acts and terrorism isn't limited to government agents but can also involve people in groups such as Critical Mass where some members act out violently (or militantly) against other people.
    IMHO, it's still wrong even though it's done by people I might happen to agree with today or even if it's done TO people I happen to disagree with today.
    Edward Abbey wrote in "The Monkey Wrench Gang": "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork."
    That pretty much sums up Critical Mass today.
    I wonder... if Ed Abbey were alive today he'd be 80+ years old. Would he agree or was his sharp wit only to be used to skewer those with whom he disagreed? Having read some of his work, I'm pretty sure I know the answer. And, if I'm right, it exposes the hypocrisy in his writings. But, maybe with age and maturity, he would have seen that flaw and corrected it.

Thanks again for the laugh!
    Steve G.
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  17. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i was living in alaska when the monkey wrench gang was being used as a reason to sabotage the new trans alaska pipeline. much havoc and damage including one death were attributed to its adherents. a lease agreement to run a nat. gas pipeline was signed 8/1/08 to run 1500mi from the north slope to alberta ca.. the gang will ride again. mitch
  18. astring

astring Member

If i knocked a cop off i bike like that I would get 2 years minimum. Therefore the cop should get 2 years minimum.
  19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Steve, ecxellent analysis of the quote. I've always taken it that when he writes about "government", he was really talking about organized groups of people. I think he would have lumped Critical Mass in with most other organized groups. I suspect that he would have felt that they were wasting energy that could have been better used escaping from the city.
  20. sabala

sabala Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008