Thinking about a Tandem

Local time
2:39 PM
I have a Staton friction drive with the Robin Subaru 35cc and a 1" roller. I think it would be really cool to slap that on a tandem.

I'm 210, and wife is... well, uh... less. I imagine I'd pedal some up the hills, which is ok, and I'd need a longer throttle cable, but I think this is something worth trying.

Anything I need to think about before I buy a bike?

I read somewhere - in the islands - renting tandems with friction drive

should be a nice -- little extra helper

my wife is what we would call -- semi pro bicycle rider
it's not much fun to go riding with her -- unless I have my engine on
been thinking along these same lines
a tandem for the two of us
with her - and the engine - I think that I could handle it well !!!

have fun -- keep us informed

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Tandems new are pretty pricey. I started looking on Craigs List and I see them on there every once in a while.

Pricey yes. But there is a tandem available from, you guessed it, our good friends at Wal Mart. Kent is the brand, 279 the price, low end of course, but it just might do. On the next rung of the price line is Schwinn at 649. Probably a pretty decent machine, but I'm thinking about the Kent. Trouble is, if the Kent is Krap, I spent money on something that needs constant upgrades and repairs. In the same vein, a 649 dollar bike ain't all that either, and I'm surely going to find weak spots on it as well.

I'll keep searching for used.

If you examine the bike in person you will have a better idea of it..

To be honest if its a friction drive with two up you might want to look at a slightly more beefy engine - unless you are looking for something that is merely an assist motor.

With a F/D the only stress is going to be on the rear wheel/tyre/etc and as long as you dont try and overdo it - high speed running or stunting you should be ok with the resiliance of pretty much any bike with that setup..

I'd be interested to see pictures of the end result and performance details..

Jemma xx

You know...

I had the tandem ida in mind so I could take one of the kids along for a long ride!

Please keep us updated if you do this, I am very interested to see how it is powerwise.

Most important in a tandem, at minimum it should have 12 gage spokes on the wheels .093 diameter, 11 gage .120 even better.

My Bumble Bee bolt-on friend has a tandem with a front mounted friction drive 25cc homelite. 23MPH flat, 15 uphill, 30 downhill...fuel burn: 125 mpg
It drives much differently than my MB roadbike. Great fun when the kids want to go. I'm looking for a tandem too when the deal is right.

My Bumble Bee bolt-on friend has a tandem with a front mounted friction drive 25cc homelite. 23MPH flat, 15 uphill, 30 downhill...fuel burn: 125 mpg
It drives much differently than my MB roadbike. Great fun when the kids want to go. I'm looking for a tandem too when the deal is right.

pro20 -- for a 25cc on a tandem -- that's some pretty good top speed !!!

Donald -- I haven't seen a tandem at Walmart
did you see one at your local Walmart ?

this tandem riding sounds like a good idea
wife has a short bed truck -- just need to measure lenth of tandem

just dreaming a little this morning
I like all bikes with motors !!!

Happy Riding from - Mountainman

If you go to Walmart's website and do a search for "Tandem Bike" a couple of them show up. The Kent is grey, has I think 21 speeds, and V-brakes front and back. 279.00, free shipping site to store. I have a pick up truck (that sits in the driveway and never gets driven, but gets a payment serviced each month), so I can just get it at the store.

Still haven't pulled the triggger on this, because with winter on the way, there's no rush, and I'd like ample opportunity to catch one on the cheap on Craigslist.

Tandems; twice the disaster!

Back