thinking about motorizing the kulana Moon Dog

Sorry to hear about your accident Zev0. I will most certainly have to check out that seat!

I found a seat at a Target store that I can't seem to find online. It was missing that forward part on all bicycle seats. I made a really, REALLY terrible quick sketch of it (which I think is called a bench seat):

worstdrawingeverur4.jpg

It looked all cushy and had a bouncy gel seat. But it doesn't look as kick-butt as mickey's seat!

I am wondering how this seat would feel after a long day of riding. It's 8" long x 14" wide.

bench-seat.jpg

I found this one at http://www.derriair.com/bench-seat.htm

Last edited:
That seat! That horrible, horrible seat!

Well, here's a shot of my own Kulana bicycle that looks exactly like everyone else's. I'm just happy to show it off to show off how beautiful this day was. I wish ALL the days I rode looked as beautiful!

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1373/mykluanamoondogjy3.jpg

However, I would like to take a moment to point out that the person who designed he seat MUST have been some scorned vegence-seeking woman. Because NO man would design a product that inflicted so much terrible pain upon the male gender! I mean, who in the HECK designs a seat with an upturned tip?? This thing just grinds into my junk all day long. And by the time I get off my bike I feel like I've been riding a horse all day long. A Gel bench seat is my next purchase for this thing!

I have begun to tear some of the stickers off the bike. I'm not really a fan of all those cheapo grapics plastered everywhere on the bike. Still thinking about taking them all off for that stock bicycle look.

Last edited:
Oh jeeze, that seat isn't actually for sitting on. Trash it at once !!! At least aim it down a little before you jump an octave.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1373/mykluanamoondogjy3.jpg

However, I would like to take a moment to point out that the person who designed he seat MUST have been some scorned vegence-seeking woman. Because NO man would design a product that inflicted so much terrible pain upon the male gender! I mean, who in the HECK designs a seat with an upturned tip?? This thing just grinds into my junk all day long. And by the time I get off my bike I feel like I've been riding a horse all day long. A Gel bench seat is my next purchase for this thing!
Your current seat does look awfully painful, but I just couldn't feel safe with a bench seat. I'd be afraid my arse is going to slide off the edge while I round a turn, which is why I have a "regular" gel seat with just limited damage to the testicles.

I have begun to tear some of the stickers off the bike. I'm not really a fan of all those cheapo grapics plastered everywhere on the bike. Still thinking about taking them all off for that stock bicycle look.
I did that the first second I got thru with my first ride.

I wish they would make the top tube a little larger and all we would have to do is put a fitting in for the petrol and we would have a fuel tank. I like the chain guard, I can think of a few paint schemes that would look good. Have fun, Dave

mood dog fork mod?

Seems I am far from the first to think the Kulana Moon Dog is perfect for motorizing! Just bought mine last week and will be receiving my motor from thatsdax tomorrow.

Just pedaling the thing these past few days, I am noticing that suspension is going to be an issue. So I'm wondering, has anyone tried swapping in a suspension fork, and if so, what kind, and how well did it work for you?

Kulana Cruiser Club - new member

Wow, great to see so many motorbike enthusiasts choosing this bike! I just bought mine last night online - should be here around June 6th-9th.

I have heard stories about the rims having a wobble, and the brakes dragging on the rim -any truth in that?
As soon as I get mine, I will probably drill and tap my own fender bolts - with all the stories I have heard about them cracking at the support.

Decompiler - looking at your pic, did you put the rear fender on backwards? - it looks shorter and the support brackets aren't horizontal and vertical. I like it! - easy way to shorten the fender.

This should be an open thread that deals w/ all the questions we are going to run into on our build. For that matter, seems so many people are using this bike, they should just make a new forum chat room specifically for it.:D

Just wanted to add my name to the list of all who will be starting this build.

Good luck to all of you!

Troy Fitz.

Springer front end

Seems I am far from the first to think the Kulana Moon Dog is perfect for motorizing! Just bought mine last week and will be receiving my motor from thatsdax tomorrow.

Just pedaling the thing these past few days, I am noticing that suspension is going to be an issue. So I'm wondering, has anyone tried swapping in a suspension fork, and if so, what kind, and how well did it work for you?

Hi, while cruising through the site, I saw Turbo Chaos w/ a Springer front end on a 1st gen green moondog. It looked awesome! - if I find it again I'll post the pic of it.
Definitely the way I want to set my bike up in the future.

Thanks,

Troy Fitz.

Back