thinking about motorizing the kulana Moon Dog

Thanks Carrot. I figure a classic 26" Schwinn-style springer fork will work well. I was thinking more along the lines of an MB shock fork. But whichever, this bike definitely needs some kind of shock system. I just mounted a Bell gel saddle, which helps my backside, but doesn't help the bike as a whole.

Here's mine (before I mounted tail lights and the gel saddle).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2232/2508572461_848e4ef017_o.jpg

looks good!

Hey Elcavo,

Bike looks great! - That's a lot of cables up front. Does this bike come w/ the twist shifter grip? - If so, I would be curious to know how you set up the throttle, clutch, handlebars.

Any problems installing the rear sprocket? - heard stories about it, but nothing valid as of yet.

What motor company did you wind up going with?

I got a Kingsport, would have gone w/ Dax if I had known about it.
This is supposed to be an "ok" motor from what I have read.

Since I'm not getting my bike for awhile, had to order it, I removed one bolt at a time on the engine, steel wooled it to a chrome shine and installed it again. And now the engine is also painted w/ 1,200 degree BBQ stove black. It turned out better than I had hoped. That paint was great! - highly recommend it for anyone wanting to add semi black accent - 5 minute dry time.

I'll take a couple pic's later when completely done w/ the engine.

Thanks,

Troy Fitz.

Thanks! Yes, this model has a twist shifter on it. I moved the shifter to the inside, followed by brake caliper and throttle. It's a little awkward to shift, but it works. The cables are: front brake, rear brake, throttle, clutch, speedometer. There's also a pair of wires for the kill switch.

I went with the "Howell" 48cc motor from thatsdax.com. Nice motor. However I am having a bit of a problem with fuel intake/stalling and hope to find some answers soon. I had no problems installing the rear sprocket.

Like the sound of how your motor looks. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Last edited:
some thoughts

Thanks for the shift grip info Elcavo. That will be useful when the time arrives.
Thanks for the pic Decompiler. It's cool to see how obnoxiously bright that paint really is out in the sunlight!:cool: - gotta wear shades.

I have been thinking about my build, and had a couple questions aesthetics's wise. Is the CDI able to be mounted flat? - I was thinking a good mount point would be where the two lower bars converge into the top bar. Looks like it could fit flat and still be able to reach the spark plug. Looks like the rear brake cable might interfere a bit, but that should be an easy fix.

Anyone painted the tank to match the bike that you are aware of? I think that would look a lot more streamlined.

Also contemplating a way to run the wiring through the frame. - maybe not.
It would clean up the look a little bit more though.

I'm just the kinda guy that can't leave anything alone. A curse and a blessing I guess.

A couple pic's of the engine. And the bracket I fabbed for the drill mounting.

Now I just need the BIKE!!!

Thanks for the info.

I'll let you know how things go.

Since I built my own car, did a full engine build and swap, and fabbed my own body kit, I'm thinking this shouldn't be that difficult to do. But I have been wrong before. Pic enclosed just cause I like to show it off:rolleyes: - hence the reason I needed cheap mode of transportation now.

thanks,

Troy Fitz.

Attachments

• Troy's bike file_1.jpg
    Troy's bike file_1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Troy's bike file_4.jpg
    Troy's bike file_4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Troy's bike file_3.jpg
    Troy's bike file_3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_1865.jpg
    100_1865.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 414
I'm having troubles

I've been working on my moondog for a couple weeks now and it still isn't working. This is my first build, but the frame definitely doesn't seem ideal. This thread seems like the place for moondog help. And i need it.

First, how did you guys get the sprocket/tensioner/wheels to line-up and not rub? On my build, using a dax 70 cc kit, when i pull the chain tight around the rear sprocket and motor sprocket, the chain is SOOO close to rubbing the tire. Like it's going to when/if i ever get up to speed. That's bad.

2, the rear lower chassis bars going backward (to put the tensioner on) are slanted outward. When i put the tensioner on and tighten it, the tensioner goes to vertical. This grabs the chain outward, which causes it to derail within a couple pedals. I've tried different mounting positions and heights and haven't gotten that to work.

So.. 3, I reversed the rear sprocket (so the chain is slightly outward rather than inward.) This helped the chain direction to not rub the tire and not derail once the tensioner was added. But... The chain is definitely not in line with the front sprocket. I can't get my bike to work yet, but pulling the clutch actually lets me ride the bike around the parking lot really slowly without derailing or anything. I kinda hear metal grindage though. Maybe wear-in, maybe bad stuff?

4. Finally... I got everything hooked up, all my cables look good, the sparkplug is in, i had to loosen the clutch plate 2 hole-twists, filled her up with gas/oil mix...
I pull the clutch and start pedaling. The chain moves, the pistons are pumping.. i twist the throttle... and that's it.

The engine is supposed to auto-start or something, right? And then i'd let the clutch out?

That isn't happening. I pedal, the pistons go, but the engine doesn't kick up. I've changed the idle screw, i've flipped the switch on the air intake thing up and down (what exactly does that do??), nothing seems to make my motor start.

I've also noticed that i'm leaking gas/oil.. from the air intake?? The black thing with the 3 holes down, that's leaking. I wouldn't think gas could get back in there.

Yep, please help.

might be some help

I've been working on my moondog for a couple weeks now and it still isn't working. This is my first build, but the frame definitely doesn't seem ideal. This thread seems like the place for moondog help. And i need it.

First, how did you guys get the sprocket/tensioner/wheels to line-up and not rub? On my build, using a dax 70 cc kit, when i pull the chain tight around the rear sprocket and motor sprocket, the chain is SOOO close to rubbing the tire. Like it's going to when/if i ever get up to speed. That's bad.

2, the rear lower chassis bars going backward (to put the tensioner on) are slanted outward. When i put the tensioner on and tighten it, the tensioner goes to vertical. This grabs the chain outward, which causes it to derail within a couple pedals. I've tried different mounting positions and heights and haven't gotten that to work.

So.. 3, I reversed the rear sprocket (so the chain is slightly outward rather than inward.) This helped the chain direction to not rub the tire and not derail once the tensioner was added. But... The chain is definitely not in line with the front sprocket. I can't get my bike to work yet, but pulling the clutch actually lets me ride the bike around the parking lot really slowly without derailing or anything. I kinda hear metal grindage though. Maybe wear-in, maybe bad stuff?

4. Finally... I got everything hooked up, all my cables look good, the sparkplug is in, i had to loosen the clutch plate 2 hole-twists, filled her up with gas/oil mix...
I pull the clutch and start pedaling. The chain moves, the pistons are pumping.. i twist the throttle... and that's it.

The engine is supposed to auto-start or something, right? And then i'd let the clutch out?

That isn't happening. I pedal, the pistons go, but the engine doesn't kick up. I've changed the idle screw, i've flipped the switch on the air intake thing up and down (what exactly does that do??), nothing seems to make my motor start.

I've also noticed that i'm leaking gas/oil.. from the air intake?? The black thing with the 3 holes down, that's leaking. I wouldn't think gas could get back in there.

Yep, please help.

Hey,
Well, I don't even have my bike yet to start my build, but I have asked questions somewhat in regard to what you were mentioning about the rear sprocket.

Here is what I was told. - this is from Dax:

I have installed over 30 moondogs. There is nothing you need to do with the rear sprocket other than mount it and depending on the sprocket center hole size , you may need to wrap your hub with some pop can strips to take up the gap if any. You snip the rear fender and fold under for drive chain clearance.

My thought is - did you put the rubber spacer in behind the rim and the sprocket?
You also want to slightly file the teeth on the sprocket so they mate to the chain better.

The idea behind the clutch is just like jump starting a car. You hold in the clutch to build up speed. Then when going fast enough, you let go of the clutch and the car will start. Same thing w/ the bike. After getting some speed while holding in the clutch - let it out while peddling, and it should engage the engine.

Are you priming the engine? - two pumps - or till you can see gas in your fuel line?
Can't help you w/ the leaking gas issue. sorry

maybe these will help - like I said, I do a lot of research -
Elcavo - I found Dax's springer front end cruiser bike - here's the pic I mentioned earlier.

Keep in touch - lot's of great information on this site.

Troy Fitz.

And your right, I am trying to kinda turn this thread into a "Kulana cruiser club" - hangout - discussion thread.

Attachments

• moon dog 5.jpeg
    moon dog 5.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 435
  • moondog.jpg
    moondog.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_1480.jpg
    100_1480.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 498
  • 963_P1010091_1.jpg
    963_P1010091_1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 517
  • moon dog 4.jpeg
    moon dog 4.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 478
Welcome to the club!

Here's mine..
Hey - where did you get that nice rear rack from?
(Nice rack???) ;)

Mark

Attachments

• Kulana1.jpg
    Kulana1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 508
  • Kulana2.jpg
    Kulana2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 531
Back