This bike hates me

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Tank352, May 4, 2016.

1. Tank352

Tank352 New Member

Motor turns over and clutch engages but wont stay running. I have spark ands its getting fuel. I have 3 spare CDIs and a few plugs have tried multiple setups. The whole motor has less then 5 hours on it.

2. Have you checked to make sure the kill switch is not grounding out the spark? What is your oil and fuel ratio?

3. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

what means 'wont stay running' - won't run after just a few pops, won't run after an hour, . . .

4. Tank352

Tank352 New Member

I dont have the kill switch hooked up at all. My fuel is 16/1. As soon as i drop the clutch and give it gas it starts for about 10 seconds then shuts off.

5. 16:1 seems awful rich and could be fouling the plug. (Rich as in too much oil) What does your plug look like? Check the tank valve and make sure you are getting good gas flow to the carburetor.

6. skyash

skyash Active Member

You might be sucking drit up in the jet. It goes sucks it up then stops

7. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

sounds like it is new - you shouldn't 'drop the clutch' - ease out the clutch while continuing to pedal and keep pedaling till the bike starts to pull on its own

new motors often like a bit of choke, but once it pops a few times, the choke then needs to be off

8. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

Sounds like you're to rich. Either fuel to oil or fuel to air or both. You could try adjusting the needle clip in your carb to a higher position or leaner setting. Check out the sticky on carb tuning basics. Good place to start.

9. skyash

skyash Active Member

I have run way to much oil and it never stop it from running just more smoking and slower. Like 100ml oil to 500 ml petrol

10. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

That's why I told America to convert to the metric system but they wouldn't listen :D

11. skyash

skyash Active Member

True silly gallen

12. Learner4life

Learner4life New Member

Check to see if the choke lever ........ is creeping back up on its own.... there was a time when mine did this, and exactly like ur saying, the engine would shut off. I think the choke lever would fall as it shut off, it was so hard to figure out because I was led in so many directions. Thought I would share just in case, lol u never know.

13. Learner4life

Learner4life New Member

If you are new to all of this, I think also, the way the universe works.....this may sound nuts... We create these little problems that we just cant figure out to force learning in all the other areas where we look for the problem's solution. Very few people, if any... approach learning all there is to know about m'bers in a structured, step by step, classroom setting etc. Every new issue u that u cant resolve, take a lot around at everything else ur learning and see if ur skipping another lesson, I started doing this, and always found some huge important simple piece of info, that I skipped over. GL!

Hello Moto! likes this.
  14. Tank352

Tank352 New Member

Got it running again. Having no issues motor wise now. Head bolts needed to be tighter. Runs like a champ.

15. Learner4life

Learner4life New Member

Thats awesome! Another thing I wanted to share about getting more performance out of your hog: Recently I experimented with different ways to mount my engine(66cc pretty much all stock including exhaust). I wanted to minimize vibration so I decided to try remounting the engine with rubber pieces etc within the mounts. My first ride after doing this had so much vibration I had to take my hands off the handlebars because it was actually stinging it was vibrating so much! Here is what I learned: When I was seating the engine with the rubber now in place, I didn't find the perfect spot where the frame was flush on both sides of the engine before tightening it. When i began tightening the mounts, I began stretching the frame which I didnt realize.

After learning about "frame stretch" from not properly seating the engine before tightening the mounts, I tore everything down and started over. This time I decided NOT to use any rubber where the engine mounts made contact with the frame. I found the perfect spot where the engine sat flush against both frame tubes, then I even JB Welded it in place before adding the u-clamps and bolts to tighten it down. I was worried this might have too much vibration since I'm litterally welding the engine to the frame but, actually the results blew my mind. The vibration issues pretty much were gone at all speeds after doing this and what did not expect was a HUGE boost to performance at every speed. No joke. It was like someone installed a supercharger, the torque increase was amazing. I have read about power loss from loose chain and rubber engine mounts but I had no idea the amount of the loss I was getting. Before I ramble on any longer, I would love to give other members a chance to chime in on this and back me up, or offer a better explanation of what happened here! I wish I knew/understood this sooner. Its litterally like I have a completely different bike after this. Its so fast!

Hello Moto! and Timbone like this.
  16. Tank352

Tank352 New Member

I must have mine mounted in the sweet spot on this bike. Compared to my other builds the vibration is slim to none.