This is the Avatar-Help Topic

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by gone_fishin, May 6, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i've been emailed a coupla pics now & then with requests tio help make avatars from them. sometimes i can get it right, sometimes not...

anyone here good enough with graphics to volunteer to help with member avatars?

2. nashe

nashe Guest

I know a fair amount.
    And would be willing to lend a hand where I can.
    Let me know.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I use a program called Mihov Image Resizer
    its really small (334k) but you just click on the pic, enter how many pixels and thats it

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

so, nashe...if it's ok, we'll say to email pics to you for reworking? i don't wanna put you on the spot, but maybe you can be more help than i can 8)

'kronic...that proggy lets you choose file-size also?

5. nashe

nashe Guest

Yeah--that's fine. :)
    Tell those that need help to give me a heads-up on here as well, so their e-mail doesn't get lost in my in-box (or accidentally filtered into the "spam" folder :p).

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

coolness, thanks...i gave this topic a sticky :)

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

"heads up" nashe...there's an email on the way (from me) with a member's info who needs help :)

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

if any more probs with pics come up, I can help if you need
    my avatar started out at 2272x1704
    ran proggy and now its 100x75
    didn't seem to lose much clarity either

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

and it's only 3.5k...nice!

i renamed this topic, so if anyone wants to convert a pic to avatar, it looks like there's plenty of help available, just post your request or question here :D

10. nashe

nashe Guest

I mailed you back the image, Augie;
    Reduced to 3K.
    There was some color loss--albeit, it was a quickie job in Photoshop. I could probably regain some clarity if I tinkered a bit more; or if Chopper is displeased.
    Kronic's program may have better results, but I'm running on a Mac here so I am not privy to your Windoze gizmos. ;)

Ultimately .. The most righteous solution would be to create a fail-safe thread instructing members on how to create their own avatars; whether that be via freeware programs or which-ever.

When it comes to forums (as Sheriff Dog, you know this well), instructing people on etiquette and how to fend for them selves when it comes to features and such is almost as important as the forum's purpose.
    And having the info available to create a self-sustaining population takes weight off your shoulders, eh? :evil:

Ah .. I ramble. Let me know if you need anything else--or if Chop wants more work done on his avatar.

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

8), 8), & 8)

very astute, well said, and mucho appreciated :D

12. Chopper

Chopper Guest

Not at all! :)

Thanks for your help augie and nashe........