This made my christmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Large Filipino, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Bought a kiddie bike at the thrift store for 5 bucks and spent a week stripping the paint that was heavily scratched up,2 coats of white primer with lots of sanding in between (spray painting when the temps are below freezing is quite hard on the paint it orange peels like you won't believe) then when it was smooth enough after sanding with wet/dry,4 coats of pink (her favorite color) with sanding in between then 3 coats of clear.
    Dropped it off at the God Daughter's house and she would not get off her bike the whole time we were there.
    I feel this bike's gonna mean something to her. It's not new but she's not like that. It has the NoMoreFlats tubes salvaged from my bikes just trimmed it down to slightly bigger than just fits and it went on there just right feels like there's 100 pounds of air in it just feels solid,and I greased up everything after cleaning out the bearings replacing one cage because one bearing was a little indented.
    Mom's gonna get her some stickers so she can personalize it.
    Yea. Christmas rules.
    It's not about how much $$$ your present is worth. It's about the love.
    ...maybe a 30cc 4 stroke down the road... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008

2. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

That's what I'm talkin' about my man! Good on you for this one... I did similar for a friend to give to her son; and yeah painting in the cold is a real bear! LOL You put the true meaning into it- the love, not the money.

3. hill climber

hill climber Member

makes me feel good to now there is still some folk that know what it is all about

4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Kids and bikes, it's a beautiful thing.

5. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

good on ya Large. You can add me to the list with those sentiments. That bike will be the one she remembers when she has children of her own because of the love it represents.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

that's cool Large motor biking man

she looks very happy and proud sitting on her new bicycle

nice job -- well done

wishing you a happy new year -- from MM

7. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

She's adorable and you could not have bought a better present.

Good job.

8. graucho

graucho Active Member

Im proud to know ya Large. Good feeling stories motivate fellow men/woman to do good.
    I get warm and fuzzy watching people shine. :sunny:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Here's a story I found on DailyKos

I spent xmas morning in a Wal-mart parking lot...
    by sharistuff
    Fri Dec 26, 2008

So as promised, my daughter and I took our Christimas morning trip out, to see what was open. Also had a mission to deliver a wii game to her best friends mailbox. So off we went in my XB. Down our country road to the town of Gardendale, and all their retail glory.

This year we were prepared. My daughter had her bike loaded in the back, and she was stoked. It is about a 15 minute drive, no one was out, since it was xmas morning. It was sunny, breezy, and low 60s, perfect!

We drove by the Waffle House, the only restaurant that is even open on Christmas morning. In Alabama they take Christimas seriously. Everyone is closed, except a few gas stations and every Waffle House in the state. Even the Cracker Barrel is closed. You would think they would stay open al least for the breakfast travelers, but nope. All closed.

We pulled into the Wal-mart parking lot. My daughter was bouncing up and down in her seat. She was so excited. There before us lay the giant slightly wet Wal-mart parking lot.

Like a silent sea of asphalt, shiny and smooth. Stripped parking spaces, empty for as far as the eye could see. My daughter thought it was a beautiful sight, that shiny glistening desert of pavement.

We lifted the hatchback, and she dragged her bike out. Handed me the camera, we cranked the Ipod, and off she went, riding her bike all around the Wal-mart parking lot. She let go of the handlebars, and put her head up high, feeling the wind in her hair, she closed her eyes, then of course opened them, to make large curves and speed race from one end of that parking lot to the other.

She came back to the car, picked out another tune on her Ipod, directed me to follow her in the car, we propped the camera up to look out the windshield while it recorded her, as I followed. Parked directly in front of the store, directly under the giant Wal-mart signage, was a local Gardendale policeman. I filmed him for a short moment, looked like we were
    the best entertainment he had seen yet. He probably thought she was trying out her new bike. Even though she has had the bike for 2 years, where we live there are no sidewalks, and the roads are curvy and narrow, with no sides, just big ditches.

My daughter spent an hour riding around that Wal-mart parking lot. She said "Best xmas gift ever!) I spent an hour watching a young girl in joy, and tried to remember what it felt like to feel that free and happy.

I think it will be one of my most memorable xmas moments ever. Sometimes it isn't the cost, or gift, or the amount that counts. But how you spend your moments, who you spend them with, and every once in a while, we seize a moment of clarity, joy, and beauty, and are grateful for it. Because it isn't every day you can ride your bike in the Wal-mart parking lot.

Just on Christmas Day.

10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

way to go, Large.

and ya know...Karma comes back around!!! :D

11. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Nice job Large! The smile on her face in the forth picture is worth more than money can buy. You made her Christmas. Way to go dude.

Jim

12. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Large, that was outstanding! Just reading that thread brightened my whole day, because you caught the whole meaning of the season here. It's not what you give, or how much it cost, but the love behind the gift that makes it truly special. It shows how much of a class act you are. Kudos!!
    :2thumbsup: :clap:

13. sparky

sparky Active Member

Large Filipino, I think it's time you changed your name as that adjective isn't worthy of your stature. Perhaps, "Great Filipino" or "Lucky Filipino" would be better? Or what about "Adored Filipino" or even "Endowed Filipino"??

I guess you're so much larger than life, Large you will stay!

14. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

"Great Filipino" ain't bad at all.

15. I'm gonna go cry now.

THANKS GUYS!!