This walks among us

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grinningremlin, Mar 28, 2014.

1. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Grem is that your family photo album? I'd be ashamed!

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Looking through those pics i couldn't help thinking about what the heck they were thinking, and what state of mind they were in when they were thinking what they were thinking.

Sometimes there are good grounds for people to be medicated to some degree of normality, like this nutter that needs it more than most:

Sorry, had to delete the video, due to language

4. grinningremlin

Poor Darwin, you think your blood is a different color.
    Four things I've never done, and will never do:
    1) Register to, and vote
    2) Get married
    3) Get tatts/piercings
    4) Own a smartphone.
    All signs of craven conformity.

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

you are way out of line on the fourth.

6. Aidan

Aidan New Member

Dude, a smartphone is a tool like any other. Not owning one doesn't make you any better or any less "conformist", it just means you aren't getting a useful item because lots of other people do.

Mine is my calculator, gps, camera, emailer, web searcher, calendar, alarm clock, white noise machine (I have tinnitus and my ears fill silence with a hatefully loud ringing), weather reporter, compass, and bank account manager. It's very useful.

7. grinningremlin

First and foremost, why would you care, and take such time to defend something if it's so great, against the opinion/rant of a common dullard on an internet forum??If you'd like the layman's version, because you know I'm right, but are so invested there's no turning back.Fabian, it seems out of line to you, because you take offense at someone shaking your beliefs, not because what I'm saying isn't true.
    Aidan, I understand fully, it's a phone/camera, that has a small PC&OS, it has a proximity sensor, it has a little vibrator, it has a nice mic/speaker set, it has a accelerometer, (bet you didn't know that) you can download multiple apps so it can be applied to many aspects, I understand,... OK!? Now you are paying monthly for a little ELECTRONIC device that if dumped/drenched with water while on, what happens??I have a PC at home that also does all the little neat things, why take it with me?I have a tuning fork set, a compass, a solar powered calculator, don't need GPS as I still know how to find things with my mind/sun/stars, and an alarm clock from the 60's, that still works fine.How many generations have you gone through of these things?Why should I buy something, then pay for it monthly, when I have everything it can do, and will reliably do so for decades to come, without continuous upgrades?To keep up and be "with it"? How is that not "conformist" to think you need it?
    Sorry Aidan, you've been born into it, you've no frame of reference, what you don't know can fill the grand canyon.Saying/believing/buying into something loudly/passionately, never trumps common sense and facts.If they're great, enjoy.You don't need one, I don't need one, but I've never bought one, and you'll keep buying the next and next incarnation of the same basic thing, because everybody else does.
    “A man is rich in direct proportion to the number of things that he can live without.” Henry David Thoreau.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I did know there was an accelerometer actually, and if I spill water on my phone it will be fine (life proof case, my phone is safe in the shower). I do in fact have a frame of reference for a time before the smart phone (as I haven't always had one) and buy one because it negates the need for many other devices. Try to make less assumption about people you've never actually talked to or met before. I don't need it and never said you do, but it's silly to write off a useful item because it's "conformist".

Honestly, who cares what's conformist? Just because Pink floyd was popular didn't make them a bad band, and it's just the same with smart phones. That said I'm not devoting any more time or energy to having a debate about what my smart phone says about my individuality because the two things have nothing to do with each other.

9. grinningremlin

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not making assumptions, I'm making valid calculations based on:
    1)Your age.Again you don't understand what I mean by frame of reference.The first PDA was out around 92-93, the cell-phone was just starting to be a "gold-chain" everybody was wearing.You have been in a world where it is coveted, you have been barraged by advertisement both media and peers drilling you, that it's just normal and what you do/have/need.Regardless of not always having one, they have always been around for you.
    2) Your reasoning for the gadget, it is the same thing I hear from everybody when I contend they don't need it.It sounds like people repeating the paypal mantra (paypal is the safest way to pay "yes paypal is the safest way to pay"), or some religious script that someone else wrote and all users now repeat.
    3) Your analogy of Pink Floyd to smartphone was a poorly constructed, and conceived process.
    It works for you, great.

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Because you can plot you route into the middle of nowhere then review and modify and implant new and interesting routes into the navigation system for future journeys that you may not have attempted, not knowing if they were doable.
    A mobile phone is also a safety device that allows communication if you get into serious trouble. You may not be aware that the Samsung Galaxy Smart Phones have an accessory antenna port in the back of the phone that gives an impressive increase in reception when in remote areas.

I visit remote areas, and i carry a Smart-Phone and an external antenna, not to mention the impressive photographic and video capability of the phone to document my journeys, as well as the GPS functionality to document my route when i am unaware of my travelled location.

11. grinningremlin

Couldn't help myself.

Attached Files:

12. grinningremlin

Yup, there's one thing there that may be necessary, when's the last time you used your gadget for a real emergency?The rest of what you said I can't take seriously, a bunch of nonsense anybody can easily remember with their brain.UNLESS,... like when people use speed dial they forget the numbers, maybe so much useless logging of places you just were, or taking pics/vids of what you just saw, has broke a part of your brain and now it opts to having you help it along with virtual flash cards; similar to how meth can be a great help, until used over and over, then you need it just to cope.Atrophying muscles?
    To me it looks like a little illuminated shrine, enjoy it, I'm not asking you to leave, nor will I join your cult.

13. Aidan

Aidan New Member

If you don't want a smart phone I really don't care, but don't think that we are just sheep following the herd. I saw a device that would be very useful to me and purchased it, simple as that.

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Thankfully "never", but there have been a few times when i started to feel a great level of comfort knowing that i had an accessory antenna with me, because the situation was starting to get "a bit iffy".

For the most part i consider my Smart-Phone a safety device with that concept travelling in both directions along the metaphorical wire.

15. grinningremlin

Aidan,
    I bought my alarm clock in 1968, it's nicely aged yellow, and works faithfully.I bought an A440 tuning fork for $5 in 1976, has never needed calibration or batteries and is 100% instantly operational every time.I bought an old compass in the 70's in a thrift store, works great.
    Here's a neat experiment (you too Fabian), copy and print out this whole back and forth, when society tells you it's time for the next generation of the same thing, put the smartphone you have now, with all it's accessories away.Then break it out in 46 years, and read what you wrote.If it still works, I bet you'll have a laugh at yourselves.

16. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't understand your aversion to progress.

17. grinningremlin

The fallacy in that statement is, that smartphones are progress instead of social sludge.You were born without knowing a time before the majority were WAY outside their BMI, and everyone had a cellphone.Trying to explain it to you is like trying to explain trig to someone who can't add and subtract.
    I've no aversion to real progress, everyone having a cellphone, let alone smartphone does not grease the wheels.Butre, you have a few years as an adult under your belt, unless you're an actual documented genius, are you sure you want to wax poetic??Maybe I'm stating things too wordy, so let me try again.
    This is why smartphones are a consumerist toy, and not a tool.They re-wrap the same toy with "new and improved" every so often, changing every socket, so you must buy all new accessories.The SMT boards have a 10 to 15 year reliable usable time (most new consumerist electronics do now) it's called, "planned obsolescence".It is cheaper to replace the whole unit than repair, even if you could ( I've opened a lot of smartphones to the guts, always broke something).
    If it's cheaper to replace than repair, it a disposable thing, not a tool.If you have to re-brand it, it doesn't have much to offer in the first place= toy.
    A saws blades can be replaced, a hammer will outlast two generations with heavy usage, a reciprocating saw can be rebuilt, if parts cannot be found they can be made.You won't be able to find a working battery for your gadgets in 20 years. but you'll be way past those old outdated things by then, and I'll (probably be dead) be striking that old A440 tuning fork.

18. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

@GG

I only purchase a product when it gives a meaningful increase in functionality that is relevant to my requirements.

My first Smart-Phone was the Samsung Galaxy S2, because i had to wait that long before the technology advanced to a point where it was able to do what i wanted it to do and with the usability and functionality that i required.

My second Smart-Phone was the Galaxy S4 because the Galaxy S3 was nothing more than window dressing, just like the new Galaxy S5.

The next Smart-Phone that i own will be another two generations away, because it will need that amount of time before the next serious advance in camera technology; enabling ultra macro zoom capability.
    Considering that one of my passions is macro photography, i'll want my next Smart-Phone to have this capability integrated into the design.
    The closest thing available on the current market is the Nokia 1020, but it's not a viable option with a small lens aperture.
    In another 2 or 3 generations (of Smart-Phone design), we should have 3/4 frame image sensors; making it a total revolution in phone camera functionality.

19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

An example:

This first photo is taken with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Camera phone

[​IMG]

The next group of photos are taken with a Samsung Galaxy S4 camera phone, using a tripod and an additional lighting source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now imagine what can be achieved with a camera phone and a 3/4 frame image sensor and improved optics, and, you have a device compact enough to fit into your hip pocket.

Give me new technology any day of the week, so long as it is relevant to my requirements, and it's functionality meets my desired requirements.