Those looks like a great little engine. $60 Surplus Center

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mlcorson, Sep 6, 2011.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

2. concretepumper

concretepumper New Member

Wow! $60. Not bad for a stroker. I have done 3 FDs with weedwackers. All are different but if the output shaft is long enough should work. I may try one of these for my next. Nice lookin' little motor.
  3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

That's cheap for a 4 stroke!
    at that price, you could get 2 of them and make a dual engine frame mount set up.
  4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Certainly a tempting price for a new little 4 stroke, not sure who made them for B&S but Sears used them on a line of now discontinued trimmers. I bought one at a yard sale last year for $5 after being told it didn't work, I thought I'd have a go at reviving it but it still sits on a shelf in the shop. I did find where others had problems with the clutch and overhung crank shaft/starter, which is probably why Sears dropped the line and why Surplus Center picked them up.

But for the price perhaps they could be made direct drive sans clutch. B&S also branded a 34cc version that was discussed here:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. concretepumper

Thanks Happy. Any more info on this Direct drive sans clutch? Thanks.
  6. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Gee CP, seeing your work on the fd page I thought I'd ask you, lol.
    No, nothing specific, remove the clutch and recoil and drive a roller right off the shaft, bump start, mount a swing arm to disengage, something like that. Cannonball on the other site goes crazy for this stuff, lol:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. concretepumper

Cool! Thanks. I have seen that build. Very nice and simple. I like the clutch he made too.
    I thought maybe it was a kit of some sort.
    I would like to try a 4 stroke and see how much quieter it is. My homelite is loud wound up! Lol. Then again these FD's are good to start but I already have the bug to build a frame mount wiith the $100 HF motor.