Those of You Born 1930 - 1979

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by graucho, Dec 22, 2008.

1. graucho

graucho Active Member

Who can add to this list?

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
    1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright
    colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our
    bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts,
    no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
    And, we weren't overweight. WHY?
    Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
    No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times,we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
    no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no person al computers,
    no Internet and no chat rooms

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although
    we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked
    in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal
    with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008

2. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

How true!

Although I would put the cutoff date at about 1972 or so.

When I was a kid, I built electronic kits from Lafayette Electronics and Radio Shack (before they were cell phone central) and used a soldering iron (HOT) and real solder - you know, the kind with 40% LEAD! Diddint affict mi et awl.

3. seca40

seca40 New Member

Yeah, I was born in 70 and I can remember riding around in my Dads' Plymouth Fury III laying across the rear deck behind the back seat. It was really fun to watch the trees and buildings go by overhead. Or sometimes I would just stand up against the back of the front seat if I wanted to see what the folks were up to.

4. graucho

graucho Active Member

O, I forgot to mention breaking the thermometer open and rolling the mercury around
    in the palm of my hand. Same hand I shake the dew off of the stick. Hey, wait a minute...
    That's why I have all daughters and no sons? (Mercury:= "Y" chromosome remover LOL)

5. rkbonds

rkbonds Member

I was born in 75 and we did everything on the list. Shoot half the time we rode to school in the bed of the truck! Ok we rode in the back of the truck every chance we got. Those were the days it was nice not having all these electronic devices.

6. kerf

kerf Guest

When dad took the family out to eat in the 50's, we never locked the door, left the keys in the car, it never got stolen. Now we're much more progressive, removed God from just about everything, just look at our progress.

7. graucho

graucho Active Member

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
    'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

The only thing I would say, though, is that we need not and should not focus on God when considering our faults and virtues.

We need improvement. And we need to do it ourselves. He won't do it for us.

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

I think that it's ok to ask the mighty one for a little help regarding changing my faults
    as far as my virtues -- moral excellence
    I do my best but fall short in this area also
    he won't do it for me -- true -- but -- he will tell me that it needs to be done

back to the thread -- when I was 7 or 8 years old my grandfather gave me a
    7 1/2 hp motor bike that went around 45 mph --- I lived through it

had a blast as I rode that THING

10. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes think that we have become so "protected from ourselves" that we can't "learn from our mistakes". I always thought that getting a few cuts and scrapes was the best teacher instead of being ticketed for something. Just got a $312.00 ticket for setting out the trash at 6:48 instead of after 7:00 AM. New garbage bear law. When the garbage cop asked me why I said I had to pick up some supplies on the way to my job, and thought maybe one of the bears wanted to pick up a snack on his way to where ever he had to be. Unfortunately he didn't see the humor in it. :annoyed:

I really believe society has become over regulated, and we can be classified as a criminal for doing something very innocent. I just don't know what to do about it, and if I bring it up in a conversation, I am usually shot down or called antisocial. Maybe that's why they were called the "good ole days"

Denny

11. hillofbeans

hillofbeans New Member

Great commentary Graucho! You inspired a flood of memories, and left no subject unaddressed. I would only add that many of the ideals we had driven into us growing up in the 50s and 60s, were out and out lies. i.e. 'The harder you work, the luckier you get'.
    'A good reputation and good record will follow you all your life'. 'American democracy is God's gift to the world'. 'Your family will always be there for you'. etc, etc.
    I'm sure readers here have many more examples. The road less traveled has always been for me, as well as thinking outside the lines. If it wasn't for the fact that our parents back then could never find us, I'd never have discovered the amazing world outside the traditions they demanded we follow. Success and accomplishment were the watchwords of that era. Not hard to understand considering the driven veterans of a world war that lived by a 'can do' attitude. There was and is a price to pay for this goal oriented ambition. All work and no play will kill you. Six of my best buds, me included, all lost our same aged fathers within two years of each other in. All in their mid fifties. This 57 year old is as determined as ever to combine work and play. Boatbuilding supplied me with that delight for years. Now it's motored bikes that have my attention. The work with fun goes on. Very happy to have discovered this site. Much more than a hobby.
    Ocean people are happy, mountain people are wise. I advise us all to take Mountainman's
    sign-off to heart, and ride that thing!

ibdennyak;
    Know how you feel. Almost as if we were born in the wrong time. It take very little to be a felon these days. For me, living in wild and lonely places is better than connecting the dots of normal society. You're not anti-social, or anti-authority. You simply reject its abuse.

Merry Christmas to all!

12. kerf

kerf Guest

If we don't turn to God, how do we determine what is a fault and what is a virtue. Your statement sounds like justification to separate the Word of God from ones self, lots of fancy names for it today but Godless still works for me. The Islamic fundamentalist believe killing the infidels is a virtue, if we take the word of man for right and wrong, this is what we get.

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Excellent Thread

awwww.....memories.
    so much of this seems too familiar.
    thanks, graucho, for starting this thread.

My Mom....born in 1935, learned to swim, the old-fashioned way. Grandpa tossed her in a quarry or a strip pit, as they're known around here. & there is NO shallow end. I learned to swim in a strip pit, but was allowed a much gentler method. I just had to get up the confidence to take off my life jacket & do it.

As a teen, in the 70's, my parents told me..."If you get thrown in jail....Don't call US !!"
    I think I was 26 before it happened.... I got a DWI in a neighboring county. I bonded out the next morning & hitchhiked the 30 miles home. When my Dad found out, he asked me why I didn't call. hahaha...I think it was then they realized, I had been listening, all those years.

14. noisydad

noisydad New Member

When I was a little kid in the 60s, my whole family would pile into the station wagon and go to a drive-in movie. My brother and I would fall asleep halfway through the second movie in the way-back of the wagon and that's where we'd stay as my dad drove home.

15. graucho

graucho Active Member

I was 12 when dad showed me how to properly tear down an engine slapping me in the
    back of the head when I wasn't paying attention. I got a spanking if I ever crossed the
    invisible (knowing your boundries) line. My parents rules were law. When grounded for
    2 weeks, meant "2" weeks. If I wanted a new bike I had to babysit for a year to
    get the money. I always knew my place in the world and knew Id be on my own after high school.

I always thank my parents for making me a independant, strong, honest, loving christian father.
    (humm, I must be describing someone else. HeHe)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  16. hillofbeans

hillofbeans New Member

Graucho;
    Right on!!
    Would love to sample your brew. Any favorite recipes?
    Tom

17. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

I did just about everything on that list. I actually used to get mad when I couldn't ride in the bed of my Grandpas Datsun pick up hw was pulled over once by a cop he was so mad. You know though he still let me ride in that truck till it died. I remeber being able t leave my bike laying in the front yard un-locked and not having to wory about it not anymore. But people are so afraid to let thier kids just be kids today worried they are going to be arrested if they get a cut or something. Turn of the X-BOXES and tell the kids to get otuside and play. To this day I would much rather be outside even just to cut the lawn. I was doing that at 8 years old never got hurt. I think I turned out ok from it.

18. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes, It's sad that nowadays, THEY can turn almost anything into "Child Endangerment".

19. stude13

stude13 Active Member

merry christmas to all; kerf give us a break, believe all you want.

20. kerf

kerf Guest

You misspelled Christmas.