Though there are risks, I'm happy about rising gas prices.

bluegoatwoods

Local time
2:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as most anyone else; I'm not made of money. No multi-millionaire grandpas in my family tree and, though I'm hard working, I've never learned how to build a fortune from my own work. I've had good times and I've had deep, deep "recessions" when I hardly remembered what a penny looks like, let alone rub two of them together.

I have a Chevy pickup that's just a few years old with 90,000 miles on it. And since I can't afford to drive it much anymore, I expect it'll last me quite a while.
My wife's car is respectable, if not a big head turner. I don't care how long it lasts; I doubt if we'll ever need two vehicles again.

And I am aware that high fuel prices could devastate our economy. I don't want that. But does it have to be? Is it possible that we'll sacrifice our cars and let the trucks and buses have whatever fuel is available? I just saw a news story about municipalities worrying about their budgets and considering, for instance, police patrols by golf cart.

How about a world where people are getting around by foot, golf cart, scooter, bicycle and, of course, motor assisted bicycles.

The trucks could get around much more efficiently when the cars are out of the way. Our roads would not need as much maintenance and they would be cleaner out of sheer demand. We wouldn't have to ride through a shoulder full of debris anymore. People would get out and talk to not just their neighbors but their whole neighborhood. We'd get fresh air and exercise.

I don't suppose I need to go on; you see where I'm headed. But I watch crude oil going above $143.00 (and surely higher in the future) and I cheer it on. Secretly, really, because I don't think this view is popular.

I don't know if I'm right about that. But I can't help feeling more optimistic than I have in a long time. We might have a gorgeous transportation system crammed right down our throats.

Opinions?

I will add that there has been one downside on the personal level; my wife has had a hard time coming to grips with the notion that we can no longer afford to drive anywhere we might want or need to go. She seems to think that I'm just trying to make her life miserable and she's given me a hard, hard time about it.

But just this morning I heard her admit (not to me, she'd never do that. I just overheard) that she's feeling better now that she's riding bikes and buses. So a gleam of hope is now shining on us.

It's been a pretty good day.

hehe...the administration is playing right into our evil plan...to save the planet!

The problem is even if motorized bikes and the like use little fuel, what happens if there is a shortage because of all the trucks and stuff out there? We may not even be able to get $.50 worth of fuel when we need it. Can gas be stored for long periods? Doesn't it turn to a worthless varnish-like liquid?

gas shelf life

Most modern gasolines have a short shelf life but if you were storing a qty it would pay you to rotate it and or treat it with STA-BIL which slows the varnish accumalation
Roy

I'm in the same boat as most anyone else; I'm not made of money. No multi-millionaire grandpas in my family tree and, though I'm hard working, I've never learned how to build a fortune from my own work. I've had good times and I've had deep, deep "recessions" when I hardly remembered what a penny looks like, let alone rub two of them together.

I have a Chevy pickup that's just a few years old with 90,000 miles on it. And since I can't afford to drive it much anymore, I expect it'll last me quite a while.
My wife's car is respectable, if not a big head turner. I don't care how long it lasts; I doubt if we'll ever need two vehicles again.

And I am aware that high fuel prices could devastate our economy. I don't want that. But does it have to be? Is it possible that we'll sacrifice our cars and let the trucks and buses have whatever fuel is available? I just saw a news story about municipalities worrying about their budgets and considering, for instance, police patrols by golf cart.

How about a world where people are getting around by foot, golf cart, scooter, bicycle and, of course, motor assisted bicycles.

The trucks could get around much more efficiently when the cars are out of the way. Our roads would not need as much maintenance and they would be cleaner out of sheer demand. We wouldn't have to ride through a shoulder full of debris anymore. People would get out and talk to not just their neighbors but their whole neighborhood. We'd get fresh air and exercise.

I don't suppose I need to go on; you see where I'm headed. But I watch crude oil going above $143.00 (and surely higher in the future) and I cheer it on. Secretly, really, because I don't think this view is popular.

I don't know if I'm right about that. But I can't help feeling more optimistic than I have in a long time. We might have a gorgeous transportation system crammed right down our throats.

Opinions?

What a positive spin!!!

....when life hands you lemons.....Let's go to bluegoatwood's house!!

When we have a gas embargo like we did in the 70's,I'm gonna buy 10 gallons of gas. That's good for 1,600 miles on Cronus. Then I'm gonna drive by all the many gas lines and smile.
It's gonna be glorious.

Most modern gasolines have a short shelf life but if you were storing a qty it would pay you to rotate it and or treat it with STA-BIL which slows the varnish accumalation
Roy
I was told that gas can still be stored for quite a while, IF it is stored in an air-tight container filled up to the spout (very little AIR in there) and if it is stored where the temperature is always stable (such as a cellar). The temperature swings it will get if stored in an outdoor shed (for example) is a big factor in it separating.

I don't gots no basement though so I can't really try it to find out. :|
~

I haven't even been making trips to the gas station with my MB lately. I just fill my cars gas tank up when I need to and use a siphon pump to remove some of my own fuel. If I had to I would just fill the car to the top (12.5 gal) and stabilize it. Whoever said global recession and even depression is a bad thing? Personally seeing our planet and people trashed by consumerism makes me sick. We have no culture in this country other than money worship and product accumulation. Maybe depression would force people to be more self reliant on their LOCAL economy and agriculture rather than buying products and services from across the world. What we're seeing today in the markets has been in the works for decades. You can only shift money around to hide problems and make it look like your businesses are turning a real profit for only so long. Eventually the banks tricksters run out of new suckers to take on bad debt and every one of their firewalls comes down from the enormous pressure placed on it. Previously sound investments (mortgage backed securities?) turn to garbage. The only real sound investment today is to invest in the necessities. Food, water, fuel, defense... Precious metals can't be a bad choice as long as you hold them in your hand. Gold has tripled in value against the dollar in the past couple years. And an ounce of gold is always an ounce of gold. A dollar can be printed by the millions whenever Bernake decides to bail out another investment firm like Bear Stearns.

Back