thoughts on banana pipe and 56t?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by butterbean, May 21, 2012.

1. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the banana pipe and a 56t sprocket will give me the performance i want. hoping to cruise around 28-30 and still be able to climb hills.

2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

56T with 26" wheel would put you at about 20MPH at 6000RPM. You want a cruising speed of ~30MPH? That's almost 9000RPM with that gearing!

Your engine isn't gonna last at that RPM. No chinagirl will. Some won't last at 7K. You either need a shift kit or accept pedaling with a 36-40T IMO

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

You need a SickBikeParts shift kit to solve your conundrum.

Get the Deluxe kit and magic will start happening...

4. butterbean

yeah I guess a shift kit would help, if I had a bike with gears. There has to be another way to get a china girl to climb hills and cruise around 30. if a 4 stroke can perform in this way, so can a 2 stroke. I am not saying I need to go fast up hills, I dont care if im going 5mph. i just want her to go without pedaling and without her stalling out. i believe that it can be done somehow.

5. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

umm, good luck with that!
    a 2 stroke is a totaly different animal than a 4 stroke.

and these 2 stroke china engines DO NOT compair to a quality japanese 2 stroke (suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, etc.)
    a china 2 stroke will not last at 9000 rpms, and i wouldn't be surprised of it tosses the rod out of the side of the block at that rpm.

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Butterbean, you've boxed yourself into a mechanical corner with such requirements and in that corner is a SickBikeParts shift kit:

I dont care if im going 5mph. i just want her to go without pedaling and without her stalling out to climb hills and cruise around 30. i believe that it can be done somehow.

You might as well save your breath.
    Get your credit card handy for a shift kit.

7. butterbean

fabian, i already stated i do not have a bike with gears. a shift kit will not do diddly squat for a single speed bike. I never said that I wanted to make my engine do 9k rpm. and i realize that a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke will not perform exactly the same. but surely there must be a way to get my engine to do SOMETHING on hills. Perhaps it is a matter of getting the right pipe? I would give up speed for climb, but not too much speed. if I cant go 30 top speed, i want to go at least 25. I have a 44t sprocket now, perhaps a 50t sprocket and a banana pipe would do the trick. or should i keep the sprocket i have and get a longer pipe?

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

@ butterbean

If you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, then you'll have to bring the mountain to Mohammad.

Get a bike with gears - hardly difficult in this day and age.
    It doesn't matter how you postulate on this issue, for your only paractical and ready made solution is a SickBikeParts shift kit and a Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake system to boost low and midrange torque.

Any talk from this point on is simply for making noise.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. butterbean

actually, i have given this some thought. I wouldnt mind pedaling up hills if it were easier. with a bike with gears, it is possilbe to shift to a gear that is easier to pedal. i dont think a shift kit is even necessary if i can pedal easier. i am going to buy a mtb and concentrate on speed. right now i am thinking of a genesis two nine 29 inch mtb. it has disc brakes, so thats definitely a plus. i get close to 30 now, but with 29 inch wheels i should be able to do a little better. i may need an sbp expansion chamber though. i will figure that out when i get there. im gonna run some numbers through my gear ratio calculator tomorrow and see what i come up with.

10. motorpsycho

as i said before, good luck with that.
    you can not have the best of both worlds with a single speed bike.
    if that were the case then the transmission would have never been invented.
    if you want low end torque and high top speed, a shift kit is the only way to accomplish that (also knows ans a transmission).

you can, however, lower the gear ratio at the pedals by either putting on a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket on a single speed bike.
    40-19 gearing for peddling is very easy to pedal, and will give you low end torque for climbing hills.
    a pipe will not help you gain more speed really (well, maybe 1-2 mph)
    a pipe will give your engine more torque, and a little more power, but don't expect a 2 horsepower gain by adding a pipe.
    the right expansion chamber can be tuned for maximum power at either the low end, mid range or high rpm's of the engine.

11. butterbean

motorpsycho, did you not read my last post? I said I am going to get a mtb so that I can shift to an easy PEDALING gear, because I wouldnt mind PEDALING up hills if it were easier. So, that means I am no longer looking for speed AND climb. just speed. If I get a 29 inch mtb, it will go a little faster than a 26 inch bike. bigger wheels=faster. how much faster? I dont know yet. That is why I need to run some numbers through my gear ratio calculator. I am currently running a 44t rear on a 26 inch bike. a 44t on a 29 inch bike should go a little faster, and right now i can get up to almost 30.

12. motorpsycho

yes, i did read your last post, but i assumed that you were going to stick with the single speed bike.
    mtb...I don't speak that language, even tho i know that it means "mountain bike".
    mountain bikes aren't my thing, so I didn't catch the mtb until just now.
    yes a 44 on a 29 will go a tad bit faster than on a 26, but in reality, you may not "feel" a difference. the only real way to tell is to use a speedometer because you may not notice 2-3 mph by the seat of your pants.

you want fast, put a 36 tooth on those 29" wheels.....but then it would take you awhile to get it up to enough speed to let the clutch out.
    it would have very little bottom end torque for take off.

13. butterbean

I'm probably gonna stick with 44t. I want to be able to get up to speed in a reasonable amount of time. I live in the city, and I dont want to just be hitting top speed by the time I hit each traffic light. I slow way down even at green lights out of caution. But as I said earlier, I have to run some numbers through my calculator to know for sure.

14. motorpsycho

yeah i'm running a 41 tooth on a 20" wheel with a 22 inch tall tire, and i'm getting right around 28-30 mph top speeds, but my little engine is screaming for dear life at those speeds.
    I really need to drop it to a 36-32 tooth sprocket

15. butterbean

If you have hills, I would go up a few teeth, not down. even on a flat, the less teeth you have, the longer it takes to hit top speed. 28-30 is not bad. thats what I usually get.