thoughts on banana pipe and 56t?

butterbean

Local time
8:31 AM
I am wondering if the banana pipe and a 56t sprocket will give me the performance i want. hoping to cruise around 28-30 and still be able to climb hills.

56T with 26" wheel would put you at about 20MPH at 6000RPM. You want a cruising speed of ~30MPH? That's almost 9000RPM with that gearing!

Your engine isn't gonna last at that RPM. No chinagirl will. Some won't last at 7K. You either need a shift kit or accept pedaling with a 36-40T IMO

yeah I guess a shift kit would help, if I had a bike with gears. There has to be another way to get a china girl to climb hills and cruise around 30. if a 4 stroke can perform in this way, so can a 2 stroke. I am not saying I need to go fast up hills, I dont care if im going 5mph. i just want her to go without pedaling and without her stalling out. i believe that it can be done somehow.

umm, good luck with that!
a 2 stroke is a totaly different animal than a 4 stroke.

and these 2 stroke china engines DO NOT compair to a quality japanese 2 stroke (suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, etc.)
a china 2 stroke will not last at 9000 rpms, and i wouldn't be surprised of it tosses the rod out of the side of the block at that rpm.

Butterbean, you've boxed yourself into a mechanical corner with such requirements and in that corner is a SickBikeParts shift kit:

I dont care if im going 5mph. i just want her to go without pedaling and without her stalling out to climb hills and cruise around 30. i believe that it can be done somehow.

You might as well save your breath.
Get your credit card handy for a shift kit.

fabian, i already stated i do not have a bike with gears. a shift kit will not do diddly squat for a single speed bike. I never said that I wanted to make my engine do 9k rpm. and i realize that a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke will not perform exactly the same. but surely there must be a way to get my engine to do SOMETHING on hills. Perhaps it is a matter of getting the right pipe? I would give up speed for climb, but not too much speed. if I cant go 30 top speed, i want to go at least 25. I have a 44t sprocket now, perhaps a 50t sprocket and a banana pipe would do the trick. or should i keep the sprocket i have and get a longer pipe?

@ butterbean

If you can't bring Mohammad to the mountain, then you'll have to bring the mountain to Mohammad.

Get a bike with gears - hardly difficult in this day and age.
It doesn't matter how you postulate on this issue, for your only paractical and ready made solution is a SickBikeParts shift kit and a Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake system to boost low and midrange torque.

Any talk from this point on is simply for making noise.

Last edited:
actually, i have given this some thought. I wouldnt mind pedaling up hills if it were easier. with a bike with gears, it is possilbe to shift to a gear that is easier to pedal. i dont think a shift kit is even necessary if i can pedal easier. i am going to buy a mtb and concentrate on speed. right now i am thinking of a genesis two nine 29 inch mtb. it has disc brakes, so thats definitely a plus. i get close to 30 now, but with 29 inch wheels i should be able to do a little better. i may need an sbp expansion chamber though. i will figure that out when i get there. im gonna run some numbers through my gear ratio calculator tomorrow and see what i come up with.

as i said before, good luck with that.
you can not have the best of both worlds with a single speed bike.
if that were the case then the transmission would have never been invented.
if you want low end torque and high top speed, a shift kit is the only way to accomplish that (also knows ans a transmission).

you can, however, lower the gear ratio at the pedals by either putting on a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket on a single speed bike.
40-19 gearing for peddling is very easy to pedal, and will give you low end torque for climbing hills.
a pipe will not help you gain more speed really (well, maybe 1-2 mph)
a pipe will give your engine more torque, and a little more power, but don't expect a 2 horsepower gain by adding a pipe.
the right expansion chamber can be tuned for maximum power at either the low end, mid range or high rpm's of the engine.

Back