Thoughts on marijuana legalization?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Parah_Salin, Nov 4, 2009.

What should the legal status of Marijuana be?

1. Banned outright. No medical use, no recreational use, all criminal offenses

0 vote(s)
  2. Legal medical use for cancer, but not imsomnia or "easy to fake" conditions, stay criminal otherwise

0 vote(s)
  3. Keep it's current medical status and criminal status for recreational use

0 vote(s)
  4. Have posession be a civil offense like a speeding ticket

0 vote(s)
  5. Outright Legalize it, and regulate it and tax it similarely to alchohol.

14 vote(s)
  1. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

So, just curious, what are people's thoughts on marijuana legalization?

Personally I'm a fan of it, it's less destructive than alcohol, it would create jobs, offer tons of opportunities for start-up companies (good when so many of the giants are going under), increase tourism, and mean that the we wouldn't have to pay for chasing stoners around, and it would put much more distance between the people who are perfectly law abiding aside from marijuana use and the people who sell crack and heroine.

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much in agreement with you. It seems clear to me that marijuana is the most benign of the various mind-altering substances that people seem to crave. Treating it's possession and use as a crime doesn't make good sense.

For that matter I suspect that lifting the bans on the harder drugs and allowing natural selection to weed out the ones who are not smart enough to stay away is likely to be a better way than what we are doing now.

Law enforcement has better things to do than chasing drug users and even the merchants.
  3. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

4. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Our former gov. Gary Johnson ( was about the Highest (lol) elected official to support marijuana legalization, tho he himself doesn't smoke, though he used to, and not just "experimentally". Mainly just very libertarian. Currently it is easier for anyone to get marijauna at 4:00am on a Sunday for example than alcohol, because the Drug War is a total failure, this is Gary's main point. Plus we are losing out on all the potential tax money. New Mexico is pretty chill about drugs though (many other more important issues, etc), maybe Cali, as well, so it would probably be best if it was a states rights issue, though this is where the Republicans usually totally switch gears about their so called less government stance.
  5. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

theres a couple problems with legalizing drugs.the biggest being that the majority of police would have to get a real job.they cant have that now can they.

they should treat drug addicts as what they are,addicts.they need medical treatment,not locked up.
  6. Youngbird

Youngbird Member

Its good medicine for the heart, mind and spirit....legalize it.
  7. Dilly Bar Rob

Dilly Bar Rob Member

It would be nice to see it legal. There is quite a, ehm, "BC bud industry" around the area where I live. Needles to say the cops go crazy and there are busts all the time. There are few work opportunities around here (with the logging industry at a halt), it think it would make perfect sense to let people grow and sell legally. There is a HUGE market for this stuff and it ain't goin' away anytime soon. If legalized maybe the goverment could give people a break and leave it "tax free" :)
  8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

don't count on that one

don't count on that one
    one of the BIG reasons that Calif is thinking about legalization is

to get some monies from taxing the heck out of the stuff

I am changing my views some what
    due to the Mexican Mafia
    time to get them out of the picture
    at least concerning weed

9. sparky

sparky Active Member