Through The Winter -3

Congrats to all of you cold weather riders. I'n in Florida, and it's cold here, so I salute you snow and ice riders. The coldest I've rode, was 38 degrees according to my bike computer, and my hands were SO stiff and painful after riding 8 miles. Now I have gloves!

I see you folks dress extra warm with multi-layers, but how do you keep those ears nice and warm when the fridgid air rushes by you at 20-30mph?

A cheap stocking cap underneath a bicycle helmet is quite warm. You do want to plug up all the breather holes on the helmet, of course. But once you've done that, you're just fine.

I see you folks dress extra warm with multi-layers, but how do you keep those ears nice and warm when the fridgid air rushes by you at 20-30mph?

I have a TurtleFur Balaclava that is Spandex for the top half and fleece on the bottom around the chin and neck. It fits under the helmet without squeezing my brain too much. I only use it for the below zero days.

The high temp here in CSprings today is predicted to be 60F. When is winter ever going to set in? :confused:

what about spark plugs. do they make a big difference when starting in the cold? becuase i would really like to leave my bike outside. kinda stinks in my apartment. lol

haha i have mine in my apartment too.I have a studio apartment so its in my bedroom/living room lol

i cant seem to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm my finger tips go numb 6 miles into my trip when its under 30 deg. north face were the worse set i have tryed
the helment is warm i have one of thos things gos over your chin and noise its kinda like rubber with holes in it its a full face helmet the wind gets blocked off ..... and it fogs up if i dont lift the visior at stop lights.... its been low 20- some 12 deg days i stop and go in a atm warming station for 5 mins ( i call them that now ) but i try to stay out of ice snow conditions spandex bike pants first then padded long johns the ski pants then i use this spandex like jacket in the ams it has like a built in glove it gos around your palms,,, then my gauntlet gloves (down) then my ecco down coat its gray with my red helment riding in the night want to be seen i will be puting on my mud tires soon ....and is April here yet ? you guys feel when its real cold that your legs feel stiff lol i peddle to keep the blood moving and has anyone tryed hand warmers that my next move to get them in my gloves my Honda always starts first pull

what about spark plugs. do they make a big difference when starting in the cold? becuase i would really like to leave my bike outside. kinda stinks in my apartment. lol

What kind of motor is the spark plug in?

I think that in any little low compression engine, spark is spark. You either have it or you don't. Changing a plug is never a bad idea because any motor will eventually foul its plug and good plugs are about $2, not a big gamble. Starting fluid and the right setting of the choke might help more than a different plug. Hats on!:giggle:

Get those gassers outside! If you breathe too many gas fumes while you sleep you might not wake up. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you have a long enough ride to warrant those chemical hand warmer inserts. The little orange pouches that you bend/break to activate and heat your stuff for up to 8 hours. They are like a buck a pair at ski rental shops.

Or maybe look around in any ski shop for cheap gloves that fit. That's what I use.

Hats on to you!:giggle:

i cant seem to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm my finger tips go numb 6 miles into my trip when its under 30 deg. north face were the worse set i have tryed
the helment is warm i have one of thos things gos over your chin and noise its kinda like rubber with holes in it its a full face helmet the wind gets blocked off ..... and it fogs up if i dont lift the visior at stop lights.... its been low 20- some 12 deg days i stop and go in a atm warming station for 5 mins ( i call them that now ) but i try to stay out of ice snow conditions spandex bike pants first then padded long johns the ski pants then i use this spandex like jacket in the ams it has like a built in glove it gos around your palms,,, then my gauntlet gloves (down) then my ecco down coat its gray with my red helment riding in the night want to be seen i will be puting on my mud tires soon ....and is April here yet ? you guys feel when its real cold that your legs feel stiff lol i peddle to keep the blood moving and has anyone tryed hand warmers that my next move to get them in my gloves my Honda always starts first pull

The high temp here in CSprings today is predicted to be 60F. When is winter ever going to set in? :confused:

LOL I got what I asked for, 5 inches of fluffy white stuff, single digit temprature and...

...The furnace in my cottage is completely inop! My slumlord came over and took some things apart and put them back together. It still didn't work then he gave me an electric space heater that can only keep the place at 55*. The utility meter is spinning like a dradel. $$$ I'm missing work waiting for someone to come fix it. $$$ :mad:

Back