Thruster 700c Fixie Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! There are Clam Shell Adapters from several makers, but with the right hardware, and from what you are saying, you dont need it!
With the grooves on the Fixie sprocket fitting perfectly with the 9 stock holes from your sprocket that came with your engine kit - It sounds like a "lay up"!
Did you by chance check your local Ace or True Value Hardware Store for the hex bolts?
BTW, can you explain how you got your pics under 100kb within your post?
:)

I haven't checked around for them yet really, It would look much better with out clam shell though, I may get around to doing it later..The next thing i am buying is a gas tank so i can RIDE THIS THING... I'm sick of just looking at it:sick:
As for the pics, I use my smart phone for i posting just take the attachments right out of my gallery. Sorry it that doesn't help much...
Fair well!

Last edited:
I am going to mount my sprocket the first way you suggested bmoney. I just have to get some shorter bolts from work tomorrow. I hope the sprocket will line up with the engine sprocket ok. All I got done tonight on mine was putting the gas tank on and I opened up the center of the drive sprocket so the lock ring fits inside of it and tightens. The alignment with the rag joint on yours looks spot on.

The sprocket will look sweet mounted up like that ddesens and it will be nice and balanced that way too.. The sprockets should line up just fine.. Gets some pics up of your progress.

I didn't get much done today either. I was bummed when i woke up because it was already to late to get to pirate cycles before they closed. So no new gas tank today, Probably tomorrow though. Then i just have to mount the tank, tune the carb and she'll be off and running.

I did get one thing done today, and that was finishing up the bridge rectifier for my self sufficient lighting system. Its going to be a small led flashlight(may end up using 2, power permitting) and a small 3 led trailer indicator light for the rear.
As always sorry for the horrible quality pics.
Also here's the write-up i used to build rectifier for anyone interested.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32246

Attachments

• 2012-03-06 23.53.59.jpg
    2012-03-06 23.53.59.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,194
  • 2012-03-06 23.50.11.jpg
    2012-03-06 23.50.11.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 2,296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMNwOqe7o4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Took it for a few rides yesterday, the first one ended with me pedaling back because an engine mount bolt fell out..
Then when replacing it the threads stripped so I had to re-tap the holes. When out again with my friend driving my car next to me and got it up 2 38 mph!! No joke. But that ride ended with my exhaust end cap falling out then actually snapping. Exhaust mount FTL! So I called it a day.

Attachments

• 2012-03-07163323.jpg
    2012-03-07163323.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 4,103
:mad:That sucks. I took mine out today for the first time and put a couple miles on it. Runs good. The sprocket is attached to the fixie sprocket. It worked well. Weld that pipe back on bmoney.

Nice! There are Clam Shell Adapters from several makers, but with the right hardware, and from what you are saying, you dont need it!

With the grooves on the Fixie sprocket fitting perfectly with the 9 stock holes from your sprocket that came with your engine kit - It sounds like a "lay up"!

Did you by chance check your local Ace or True Value Hardware Store for the hex bolts?

BTW, can you explain how you got your pics under 100kb within your post?

:)

That sounds great! Im stoked to know about the fixed gear sprocket! Ive been wanting to build a speedster like that for awhile!

Looking good. I've been using 700c rims now for a few years now. Everything seems to be just about the same as the 26 inch wheel. I've noticed that you've got to nurse them alone when using a rag joint. Uno, they can't take that little more stress on spokes considering there length .You've just got to A shift kit would help that problem, but I've done everything that can be done as far as mods, but haven't gone shift kit? I just think where I live that you would be shifting so much, that that would kill the fun of riding to begin with?!~ See, I'm 6' 6", 260........so not including bike, there's some major stress going on there..........

damn sucks that the exhaust broke. hope you get it up working agian and get the MPH up higher...looks nice. I plan to purchase a fixie from walmart soon and do the same except GO ELECTRIC.

I just returned my schwinn clairmont and picked up a thruster fixie for the grubee kit i just ordered. by any chance have you tried using the stock fixed gear at all? i think i will give it a try before i install the kit sprocket. I know it will have almost no power but i think it might actually do the motor good. i figure it will restrict the rpm's a little so i don't get too throttle happy during the break in period lol :D I am also thinking it will start the engine a lot easier with less stress on the rear wheel (like push starting a dirtbike... high gear = easier to push) If you havn't tried it yet i'll let you know what happens when my kit arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back