Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by cycledude, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cycledude

cycledude Member

Where do I hold this thing to tighten the bolt on the shaft?
    Please tell me I don't have to pull anything apart!

eh..I did a little searching but lazy that I am.

2. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Normally when I put clutches on a horizontal shaft engine and I need to tighten the bolt into the shaft.... I normally get someone to pull the pull starter out a few inches and hold it while I crank it down.

Works for me every time! Never lost one yet :)
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

Strap wrench?
  4. cycledude

cycledude Member

dog Owner, will try, I noticed the piston sliding when I torqued it and I had a couple of screw drivers through the cooling holes.
    I need one of those tools that look like scissors with a couple of cylinder at end but thats not going to work either.

I tried that but the strap wrench will just hold the bell, the rotor keeps turning.

Ill show you what I had to do to get the clutch mounted on there later, a real b%&^h
  5. kerf

kerf Guest

Can you see the piston through the plug hole? If so, a piston stop will work, try a lawn mower shop.
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Made my own with an old spark plug and a chunk of hardwood dowel rod gel type superglued up into the electrode hole (which I broke out of the plug). Made it long enough that the piston is held well down in its stroke, and the hardwood won't mar the aluminum piston.
  7. cycledude

cycledude Member

Well I saw another clutch thread up in the GD section so that's where I slamed this one, who knew?
    Anyway thats how it looks, I had to make a spacer bcause the shaft is too short I hope it holds when I give it the works.
    the last one is how it looks without the bell, is a little more than 1/4".
    Im thinking that the force is on the bell only when the rotor is open so.

Attached Files:

8. cycledude

cycledude Member

the idea is to make something like the one selling for 7500? but with a 50cc.
    im going to slam it on the bmx and get some more health insur
    I forget that I also had to grind a little of the back of the rotor, there is a massive chunk of metal there.
    and I could have made the spacer by cutting a piece of 5/8" shaft and drill a hole but I had this one made since I dont know how much shaft I'm going to need
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010