Timberline GT friction drive with gp460

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by jim_himself, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

Hey guys my friction drive arrived today and I',m starting the build hope to have some pictures later.:eek:

2. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

As promised here are the pictures:D

The motor and gas tank should be arriving shortly, I will put more pics once it is installed and running

Attached Files:

3. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

did you order the 460 from daves motorsports....

4. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

yes why? do they take forever to get here?:ack2:

5. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

no, just thats going to be a kick *** drive.....when all said and done....

6. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

Ya i can't wait to terrorize the local streets:devilish:

but first I have to get it running, I'm pretty sure it will go together smoothly but you never know...

7. kerf

kerf Guest

Might want to put in a supply of back tires.

8. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

HOLY $H!T:grin5:
    I got my motor today and mounted it up.....with no mods or tuning I went 40mph with like 3/4s throttle:devilish:
    I dropped my camera tho(more like flew out of my pocket) no pics of the finished product.:sweatdrop:

Probably a good thing since the gas tank is a waterbottle taped above the carb:ack2:

9. jonboy2five

jonboy2five Member

drive?

where did you get the friction drive? how much?

10. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

i got the friction drive from BMP for 149.99$ and the motor from davesmtors.com for 255.00$

11. moondog

moondog Member

Nice bike, the BMP kit looks made to fit ! I wanna see that motor !

12. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  13. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

14. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

I told you.... like SH%$ of a shovel........

have fun riding that beast and be careful.....

15. moped-dan

moped-dan Guest

jim_himself, please keep us updated on the durability of that motor.

16. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

here is a pic of the completed build.. one pic pretty much captures the whole thing...:D

no duct tape is not the only thing holding the gas tank on now its bolted on but doesn't stay quite level because there is only one bolt.

Attached Files:

17. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

Oh!
    I almost forgot I blew out the original clutch springs........put the clutch saver springs in and the motor runs much quieter and smoother.

Other then that the motor has run like a charm, keeping in mind that i only ride a few miles each day.

18. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

OK, now that every part of the instillation is done I would like to improve the bikes performance. It goes plenty fast but I would like to make the bike more stable at high speeds and beef up all of the friction drive mounting (enough to make it suitable for small amounts of off-roading):devilish:

So, any suggestions?

(As always any insight is greatly appreciated)

19. jim_himself

jim_himself Member

Ok, well I've put quite a few miles on this set up so far and everything is holding up just fine, surprisingly enough the rear tire holding up just fine:D

I love going 45mph on it, but the bike is really shaky at that speed and I want to beef up the mounting so I can cruise at 40mph, right now it cruises very well at 30-35. Im getting a front disc-brake and a high performance v-brake for the back as well as a double wall rim for the front.

I moved the gas tank to a better place as well.

I feel like the shakiest part of the bike is the fork...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  20. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

If most of your riding is on the street, you'd do well to put on a pair of street slicks. They take a lot of the shake out and you'll be amazed at how smooth they ride.