tip of throttle cable pops off the pin/hat setup when I try to pull the throttle

erickster

Local time
12:38 AM
My throttle is setup right, but when I go to give it gas, it's good for a short time, but finally the tip of the throttle cable slips through the gap in the little cylinder that it mounts in.

Anyone even have this problem? Any suggestions? It's really annoying!!!!

if the carb is flooded, you can usually get it started by staying at WOT (wide-open-throttle) until it starts
...always works for me

Well, it's a day later, and it still won't start. I dunno what's going on. Any other ideas? Could it be an issue with my throttle? It feels good, and everything looks setup right. I didn't think I'd have so many problems just trying to make the motor start. :-/

Wait. It's slipping from inside the carb? Sounds like someone (not necessarily you)may have gotten too carried away with the throttle. Take out your air filter and look down the intake while you turn your throttle to make sure it's moving.
Look at this carefully. Sorry if this all sounds Romper Room but you gotta explore the simplistics before going further.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4854

Last edited by a moderator:
Ericster,sorry for goofing up your post up there.

What do you mean exactly by clutch pin coming out?

Let me see if I can explain it. I don't know all the technical words. It's annoying being a "Newb" at something. I'm a business owner and am used to knowing exactly what I'm talking about, haha.

I don't think I meant clutch pin, I meant the pin at the end of the throttle line.

For example..

()_____)= ----------------------------------------((( )--
Throttle......the cable that runs to the engine .......Spring,Pin

The end of the cable that attaches to the cylinder with the pin and the spring has a little nubby end that we're supposed to slip into the opening on the side of the cylinder right? And that little nubby end slides in and gets caught, allowing the line to pull the spring up, which pulls the pin up. Well, I was at the park and got my engine running, parked it, and tried giving it some gas-- I was trying to set my idle up and make sure it was all running smooth. I started giving it some gas, and as I pulled the throttle, the line popped, and the throttle became loose.

I took apart the throttle to check if it has popped out of the throttle, but it was fine. So I checked the other end of the cable (unscrewed the hat) to find that the little "nubby end" has slipped through the cylinder, releasing the spring, cylinder, and pin all the way down into the carb, which made my engine turn off. I simply stuck my pinky in there and pulled it all out, re-set it all, and started it back up. No problem getting it running again. I parked it again after getting it going, and did the same thing, and the pin popped through again! At this point I was little annoyed, and again, unscrewed the hat and tried to see why this was happening.

After looking close at the little "nubby end" of the throttle line, I noticed that it's a little thinner one way, then the other. I actually tried with my hands to pull the cable to see how easy it was to pull out, and when it was set in on the thinner side, it slipped through with not much force, but when I turn it a little bit, it held much better. My thought is maybe I got a throttle line that was a little messed up.

I have it set up again, and it hasn't fallen out since, but my motor still doesn't turn on. Do you think my throttle might be set up wrong? That's the only other solution I can think of.

I hope that made sense, it's so hard to type it!

Back