tip of throttle cable pops off the pin/hat setup when I try to pull the throttle

By the way, I've looked at the photos of other people's spring, cylinder, pin setup and mine looks identical. I also have some instructions that I've followed carefully, and see nothing wrong with the way I've assembled it. THe only other solution I can think of is my throttle is too loose, and not allowing gas through, but I tried giving my bike full throttle while starting it up, and that doesn't work..... weird huh?

After messing around with it more tonight, I am just stumped. I checked under my air filter and the pin is moving fine. Nothing seems to be wrong. When I first try to turn over the engine, where should I have my carb. lever set at? I usually put it at half and try that. I tried it at full, and that didn't help.

Also, the idle screw-- where should that be set up? Does that even matter when trying to turn over an engine? Which way is higher idle, and which way is less? I'm guessing turning it to the right is less, and to the left is more RPMs-- that would be my "educated guess". :)

Attachments

• carb_order.jpg
    carb_order.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
yes, i have it like your diagram. I noticed you said "spin barrel so it cant pop out". That was the issue I WAS having. Now that ive fixed that issue, my motor wont turn over. Not saying that fixing my cable end barrel is the issue, but something is up that i cant figure out. I thought maybe i flooded it, but its been 2 days and i cant get it to turn over. Maybe i need to try harder.
Maybe go down a longer hill? dunno.

Worst case scenario,22 bucks gets you a replacement carb from thatsdax so you can get it all new and start over.
I'm starting to think something went down that pin hole.
Everything else cool? Spark? Fuel flow?

do u have a diagram of how the cable hooks up to the throttle--- maybe i did something wrong there?

im not sure how to test the spark or fuel flow. Nothing "looks" out of the ordinary. Im starting to think something went down the pin hole too, but I'm not missing anything, and I didn't stick anything weird in there or anything like that. Maybe a tiny piece of my cable end barrel broke off and went down in there. I'd have to be a SMALL piece because the end barrel LOOKS the same... but I dunno-- maybe? Is there a way to try to get it out of that was the case?

That pic graucho posted is really good. Look at the closeup with the washer and that clip.
You might get lucky with some carb cleaner shoot some from the bottom of the pin hole up.

Last edited by a moderator:
screw this-- I'm going to take pics of how I did it so you can see.. I still think I did it right, but I can't tell because your one pic is a little blurry... let me see if I can take a better pic of how mine is setup and you tell me if it's right.

Alright, this is my setup. This is with the throttle not being pulled.

100_4992.jpg - 0.38MB
100_4990.jpg - 0.38MB

(you can click on the picture to make it bigger)

The spring is sitting in the cylinder, and pushing against the big washer, and then the small washer like the diagram shown in your attachement.

One thing that bothers me, is in your photos, the spring is straight, and mine, the spring is tight, and pulling the tunnel cylinder off to the side almost like my cable is too short. But even if that was the case, wouldn't that mean my engine would be idling high because my pin us being pulled up? Therefore, I shouldn't have a problem turning it on. Now, if I undo my throttle, my spring sits like it does in your photo.

Last edited:
Back